Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TOM, BRING THIS TO THE NNL IN TOLEDO(SYLVANIA) ON SATURDAY OCT 6TH FROM 1PM TO 7 PM . THEME IS 100 YEARS OF CHEVEROLET. THEY HAVE A CATAGORY FOR DIORAMA ENTRIES ALSO. EVEN IF IT IS NOT COMPLETE BRING IT . IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I'll be in Sylvania Sunday only for the toy show. I haven't made an NNL in years. I'm hoping to do the NNL east for the first time next year. I do hope to make the Sylvania NNL again someday. Thank you for the compliment, by the way...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

P1010342.jpg

Here's one of the reference pics I have. There has been some obvious updating, but the basic station and '70s appearance is intact. This is what I'm going to build, minus the updates.

OMG, I thought for a few seconds this was the station on the corner of 17th St. and Indiana Ave in Sheboygan, WI where I used to fill up my '77 Celica GT. :o

Tom, this is beautiful work you're doing, and there's really not much more I can add which hasn't been said already. The lights are stunning! :)

• 1 month later...

I've been working on this again. I laid together the basic components, and this is what the station looks like lit by it's own internal lights. This was just to see how the lighting effects work. I'm pretty pleased with the result. Now I'm going to have to find a way to light the main sign to go with the building. I'm pretty happy with the fake fluorescent lighting as well as the upper cladding. I had to make a few compromises in the roof structure to get the correct glow, but nothing too serious. My camera isn't great in the dark, but you get the idea.ClarkInDark.jpgClarkInDark1.jpgClarkInDark2.jpg

You should be building miniatures for the movie industry. Seriously, I've been following this since the beginning and and your work is penomenal.

David G.

That has to be one of the kindest comments I have ever received. I want to thank everyone for their kind comments. If there's one thing I'd like to accomplish with this, it is to show that modelers on tight budgets can still play with the big boys. I earn an average wage, and I'm the only income in my family of 4. I have no fancy equipment, lathes, drill presses and such. I have no airbrush. I do have an ALPS printer, but I've had it many years. I build with a metal straightedge, #11 blades, files and sandpaper. My one power tool is a Dremel. I'm always on the lookout for scraps of sheet plastic, or parts that can be used in a model.

I hope no one lets money (or lack of it) stop them from building what they imagine!

That has to be one of the kindest comments I have ever received. I want to thank everyone for their kind comments. If there's one thing I'd like to accomplish with this, it is to show that modelers on tight budgets can still play with the big boys. I earn an average wage, and I'm the only income in my family of 4. I have no fancy equipment, lathes, drill presses and such. I have no airbrush. I do have an ALPS printer, but I've had it many years. I build with a metal straightedge, #11 blades, files and sandpaper. My one power tool is a Dremel. I'm always on the lookout for scraps of sheet plastic, or parts that can be used in a model.

I hope no one lets money (or lack of it) stop them from building what they imagine!

I totally understand the money thing ~BUT~I bow to thee,because of these kind of results that you have done with just simple basic tools,even on my budget(single dad of one sweet lil' girl)I have just a few more tools than that and I am sure I couldn't even get 1/4 of the results you have.....but when I read your reply and after I picked up my jaw off the floor,Tom you are an inspiration,thanks to you I now can try to do some things in modeling that I thought I would need many special tools for and $$$$ too but never to your excellence of skill.....thank you..........

I totally understand the money thing ~BUT~I bow to thee,because of these kind of results that you have done with just simple basic tools,even on my budget(single dad of one sweet lil' girl)I have just a few more tools than that and I am sure I couldn't even get 1/4 of the results you have.....but when I read your reply and after I picked up my jaw off the floor,Tom you are an inspiration,thanks to you I now can try to do some things in modeling that I thought I would need many special tools for and $$$$ too but never to your excellence of skill.....thank you..........

This is what I'm talking about! Someday I'll get too old and the Clark model will probably get sold at a yard sale for $1.50, but comments like this are what make it all worth it. I know for me it's the doing I enjoy. Once I finish something, it goes in the showcase, pretty much forgotten, because I'm too involved with the next project.

I could never build to the level of what's required to be competitve at high level shows, but I can build the best model I can with what I have, and enjoy it. I hope budgets never stop anyone from enjoying the doing part.

For those of you who have every tool under the sun and large disposable incomes ...well, I sure enjoy looking at your stuff, too!

Edited by Repstock