Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

I've started this 1/25 Clark station. I chose Clark because of the small footprint. I have pretty good references for the exterior (circa 1977), but darn few of the interior. Rather than wait and possibly never build it, I'm going to guesstimate the interior details. The inside probably won't be accurate, but hopefully it will at least be logical.

BasicShell.jpg

Here's the basic shell, made of gator board. I've sheathed the sides in Plastruct brick.

ScribedBlockRear.jpg

Because of the unique way the brick interlaces with the blocks, (and also because the brick is actually 1/24 scale, not 1/25) there were no commercially available block patterns that would fit. I therefore carved the block pattern on styrene, and glued it to the gator board.

ScribedBlockInside.jpg

I did the same for the inside of the storage room on the back wall. This will take some time to finish. I hope you'll enjoy the process.

Edited by Repstock

I'm eager for the next installment... and the next... and the next....

Do you have a prototype photo of the gas station you're modelling that you could post here?

And out of curiosity, what type of glue did you use to glue the stryene to the Gatorboard?

Tony

Edited by GTMust

I'm eager for the next installment... and the next... and the next....

Do you have a prototype photo of the gas station you're modelling that you could post here?

And out of curiosity, what type of glue did you use to glue the stryene to the Gatorboard?

Tony

I used super glue to attach the styrene to the gatorboard. Super glue tends to dissolve the inner foam portion, but works great on the outer cladding. I used epoxy on my last project in places, and it works well, too.

Not a bad start. Extend the brick across the showroom wall and make a door casing for the door to the back room. There is also a door that closes.

I will indeed add a door casing and the door for the back room door. The showroom wall on all three of my reference units ia made up of a light gray surface with horizontal slots every 3 or 4 inches. It looks as if it was designed to hold shelving units. Such a system would allow endless flexibility in setting up and changing shelf locations.

Two of my references are pics of period stations, the third is a station near me. This is the one I measured for the basic dimensions. They wouldn't allow any access to the bathrooms or back room, however. I beleive this station recently closed, and is being prepared for sale. the last time I visited it was all locked up and I couldn't get near it, so it won't help much as reference from here on out.

If anyone out there has pics of the showroom, or even portions of it, I would welcome the help. I'm going to make up (guess the layout of) the bathrooms and storeroom first, in the hopes that some showroom reference may surface.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

I like this build a lot....I use to work at a Shell gas station years ago but I use to go to a Clark station as a kid for soft drinks,etc. Cant wait to see the progress on it. smile.gif

Is this the style of Shell station?

Shell.jpg

Edited by Repstock

Without trying to come off as some KNOW- IT - All, uh Clark was one of those "Regional " oil companies in Ohio, Michigan , Wiscionsin and a piece of Illinois . They sold Premium gasoline up until about 1989. They Like Billups and Rose were simply Gas- N- Oil stops . They heavily promoted Bulk oil sales via 1 and 2 gallon rectangular cans and Chinia ware with a Gasoline fill- up of 8 gallons . I'm collecting what I have stored away for tom right now . Hopefully, what I have will enable him to do an accurate Clark station ....... Ed Shaver

We used to have a couple of Clark stations here, the one that was on Main Street was very similar, if not identical, to what tom is building. I recall it had a somewhat large lot for no bigger than the buildng was, and used to be one the popular hangouts when cruisng was still allowed downtown. IIRC, it closed in the late-'80s. The other one was much smaller, I think 2 pumps was all they had, and the building wasn't much bigger than a toll booth. It was across the street from Danville High, right next door to the Golden Tower (AKA "the Poison Palace" ), a local burger joint. That one has been gone since the late '70s, with the Golden Tower closing down around '84.

Tom, the smaller "Clark on the right is the closest to the Font you need . Yes , the 100 is larger than the word Super . Oh , what Mike sent you IS VERY TYPICAL of what a Clark station need to look like .

Look , If you want , I can send a P- M with my personal E-mail and re send the Fotki pictures off that to you . Send me a P-M with a E-mail to you . Ed Shaver

That is the real deal....needs no junk in the windows, some had both bathrooms on one end.....

We also kept cigarettes in a large swing door cabinet on the center island..

Clark was founded in 1932 by Emory T. Clark in Milwaukee WI. A contractor by trade, he opened his first gas station when a client defaulted on his loan and Clark took over the gas station he built. He built the chain in the upper Midwest and his gas stations became well known for selling "Clark Super 100" premium gasoline. The Clark station sign was quite a sight in those days as the back-lit Clark logo on the roadside sign was surrounded by racing light bulbs to attract motorists to come on in. Until the era of unleaded gas began in the early 1970s, Clark only sold one grade of gasoline–premium. So Clark’s slogan during the pre-unleaded gasoline days was "Clark--The Premium People". When lead in gasoline became regulated in the 1970s, it was easy for Clark to add a low-lead regular which was called "The Special Regular" because the stations were already set up to sell two grades of gas. "The Special Regular" gave way later in the 1970s to "No Lead Clark".

52685287.jpg

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

That's one great pic, Mike! I see that station does indeed have the brick on the inside rear showroom wall. Looks like I have a choice of how to handle that wall. Even if I don't get every detail right, this pic will sure help me get the "feel" of the showroom. Thanks, Mike!

ClarkSignMain.jpg

Basic sign is together. This should be a joy to mask and paint!

I had the station sitting on the floor of my micro sized model room. When I swivelled in my chair, the station was caught between the chair and the wall, and the gatorboard was crushed. Repairs are underway. All damage was on areas covered by brick, so I should be able to make the repairs undetectable. It's just aggravating to fix something that was fine to begin with. I'll have to carry stuff I'm not working on into the next room, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. This picture was taken before the damage.

I am glad it occured early in the build when it will be easier to fix.

Basic sign is together. This should be a joy to mask and paint!

I had the station sitting on the floor of my micro sized model room. When I swivelled in my chair, the station was caught between the chair and the wall, and the gatorboard was crushed. Repairs are underway. All damage was on areas covered by brick, so I should be able to make the repairs undetectable. It's just aggravating to fix something that was fine to begin with. I'll have to carry stuff I'm not working on into the next room, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. This picture was taken before the damage.

I am glad it occured early in the build when it will be easier to fix.

Glad to see everything will be ok. We used to have a dozen or so Clark stations in my area. All but one is demolished now though.

How did you make that sign? It looks awesome.