Model Cars Magazine Forum

on my bench, Hilux and Nova Finished...updated with pics

hey guys..my first OTB post here(and certainly not the last) some have seen these pics before, for those who haven't please enjoy...

i've been out of model building for quite a few years, and now i've got a good place to sit down and work...these 2 kits are my "trainers" to get my skills back up and to clear out the shelves..

the first is the aoshima hilux double cab lift up...building this one box stock, but trying to keep it clean looking...

hilux1.jpg

100_2695.jpg

hilux2.jpg

I painted the body this weekend, and when i looked it over under the light the cab and the bed are 2 different colors(didn't give the cab enough coats) time to break out the airbrush again for it..i'll have new pics soon..

and the second kit is the less than stellar amt 76 nova. I like pro-touring quite a bit, so this and most of my other builds will reflect that. I'm building this trying to make a not so great kit look decent, i'm also trying to make do with as much out of the box as I can since my detail part budget and cache is limited. its going to be painted the same color as the toyota(after a not so great can of white spray paint then a bath in csc decided that) with a different base and clear. the front and rear bumpers are going to be modded slightly and i've scratched up an efi system for the motor. the chassis has been thrown together and will be sprayed flat black(this model is built to look good on the shelf, not a contest table and it has some...."questionable" lowering mods...lol. the wheels are fujimi items with some resin casted lips on the back...i'll get some updated pics of the motor this weekend as well

100_2693.jpg

100_2691.jpg

100_2687.jpg

anyway i'll get some more pics of these soon since i've made some progress since these were taken. Thanks for your time and any comments or critiques are welcome.

Thanks

Gray

heres some pics of the motor....with added plug wires, efi, and alternator bracket. the airbox is the top half of the scoop from this kit with another box scratched up underneath with some carbon fiber decal applied, it will get a clear coat this weekend. I'll also clean up some of the paint lines, and give the motor a light wash before it goes in the car.

novaengine1.jpg

novaengine2.jpg

novaengine3.jpg

thanks guys...

Gray

Thanks man,

Yes aoshima does offer a lhd version, its just called a "toyota double cab 4wd truck" though...I've seen one recently on the Bay. I also remember that american satco used offer some of thier Pathfinder and Hilux models with a resin lhd dash...i've seen em around here and there as well.

hope this helps, and thanks for the compliments

Gray

Saw your engine on HH and can't believe you are "just getting back" into modeling! It looks like you never left!

thanks Mike, I appreciate that. its mostly true...other than some work a few years ago on a tamiya skyline, new beetle, and a fujimi initial d model(none of which were finished) i've not detailed a motor out like this since at least 95 or so. I'm hoping that this is only the start and that I can improve on this even more with each build. I'll have some more progress shots on monday...I plan to paint the body this weekend, and possibly get some interior work done.

Thanks

Gray

heres some updates guys...

for the truck its testors colors by boyd ice blue pearl shot over gray primer(won't do that again...maybe white or black next time)

the nova is the same paint brand in orange pearl....both sot thru an airbrush.

the nova needs the chassis and interior finished, and the truck just needs body parts done...both should be finished within the next week or so..

TRUCKCOLOR1.jpg

NOVACOLOR1.jpg

INSIDECOLOR1.jpg

NOVACOLOR2.jpg

thanks for looking..

Gray