Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replies to topics in Under Glass and On The Workbench

Ive been looking through under glass and the workbench alot and have noticed a lot of what i think are really good builds and WIPs that only get two or three replies and nothing else as compared to other builds getting pages and pages of replies. Why is this? Is it because people don't like the build or something about it? The build doesn't strike you as nice because its not your style? I have wondered about this alot. So why do you not reply to some builds as compared to replying to others?

The bulk of what I see are pretty good builds. I just can't comment on all of them any more than I care to comment on every entry in the shows. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing every one of them. I respond selectively to the ones I relate to in some way. Likewise I also don't expect lots of fanfare when I post. If I get it, that's great but I don't hang my hat on it. Validation comes from within. The rest is gravy.

Same with critiques. Not everybody is a wordsmith so it's not fair to perceive critiques as hostile, even if it's not worded well, or taken as inflamed. I think there's a vast silent majority on this forum who shouldn't be held in contempt for their silence.

Also, as in person, friends are more likely to comment to friends than to strangers.

Don't know why is that, and some topics are getting many many pages of replies, even if the model is still at the starting point.... And some, very nice projects can't get anything. Sometimes I'm just speechless when watching someone's work, and then it's hard to post any comments... Maybe other people are having that same thing? Personally, if I don't get any comments, that doesn't matter. Of course it's great to hear what you guys think, but I keep going, if there comes replies or not.

I'm posting comments to interesting threads, but not everyone of them. But if the project isn't interesting, I'm not posting comments. Or maybe if I have something to ask, like about some building technigue, then I'll ask. But of course there are many, many very interesting projects, where I have not posted anything. Maybe some other impressive builds are getting few comments, but then the work with it needs to be very nice and I can't be without posting a comment. B)

But anyway, that's very good point, why some topics can't get replies, or maybe only two or three. And at the same time some other topic, where comes rarely updates is getting maybe 10 pages of comments, that's very weird. I'm interested about seeing what anybody else thinks about this. I've been thinking about the same thing too, and here maybe is coming some answers to this topic...

Many of us used to offer suggestions and tips to those who posted the pics, on how to improve their skills. Tips like cleaning up mold lines and ejector pin marks, making sure all four wheels touched the ground, etc. But too many folks took these comments as personal attack, so many of us are now reticent to offer any comments at all.

The other part of it, for me at least, has to do with the subject matter. I look for things I haven't seen before. When I see something that I consider creative and unique, something that catches my eye, then I'll comment on it. I have to admit that lowered suspensions bore me to death. Instead of taking a '63 Chevy and "slammin it inta tha weedz" why not build it as a '70s dirt track racer or show car? Maybe build one based on how you think a 2009 Chevy will look when somebody does a customization on it in 2042? It's just not easy for me to say "Ooooh lookie, another low rider!" and truly be excited about it.

David G.

I go down the line and peek in on those projects that interest me. I may also be interested in what certain builders are working on as well. I personally don't care if I get comments or not which is why I rarely post my projects. ^_^

But WE want to see your builds Antonio!! B) B) :D

Many of us used to offer suggestions and tips to those who posted the pics, on how to improve their skills. Tips like cleaning up mold lines and ejector pin marks, making sure all four wheels touched the ground, etc. But too many folks took these comments as personal attack, so many of us are now reticent to offer any comments at all.

The other part of it, for me at least, has to do with the subject matter. I look for things I haven't seen before. When I see something that I consider creative and unique, something that catches my eye, then I'll comment on it. I have to admit that lowered suspensions bore me to death. Instead of taking a '63 Chevy and "slammin it inta tha weedz" why not build it as a '70s dirt track racer or show car? Maybe build one based on how you think a 2009 Chevy will look when somebody does a customization on it in 2042? It's just not easy for me to say "Ooooh lookie, another low rider!" and truly be excited about it.

David G.

David, all you say, is true!

I don't understand, if builder gets tips how to get model looking better, why it is "personal attack"? I'm just happy if I get some suggestions and tips how to make model looking better.

And for that build subject. As you said, that "lowered suspension bores me to death", I can say same thing from High Tech and too big wheels (bigger than 15")... They just don't fit to my mind, and project is not so interesting. Concept cars are interesting, and Old School stuff, always, it doesn't matter if using same old tricks again. But that's just me.

I have to agree with Android, it's not what you say but how you say it,

I personally post my W.I.Ps, because I want to know what people think, on what I'm building, and it seems I get but few responses, so I just sorta stopped, even stopped posting in under glass, for that very same reason, why waste my time?????, good, or bad, I look for critic.

As for posting on other peoples threads, I do from time, to time, if I like the build they have going, I'm not a rivet counter, so I don't act like one, like a few people I know here, it's a piece of plastic for Christ sake, build it the way you want.

And remember kids it's not what you say but how you say it, HAVE FUN AND BUILD AWAY.....

For me it has to do with so many things.most have listed them already.for me is time.there is some much to look at I don't have time to coment always.so things I just have nothing to say.it would be nice to have a couple of buttons that could be used so you don't have to type,but still be able type if you so desire to.but the powers would have to choose to give us the ablitiy to push a button that said a certian sentance of idea that would not hurt anyone that saw it....good idea using a button.thanks to the person that had that idea.Thank ya,Chris

I dunno. I look at the number of views my threads get as interest in what I'm doing, not necessarily the number of comments. I, like others here, follow a lot of the builds on here without any particular preference, but I don't always have the time to throw out a comment. I also try not to "clutter" another's build thread with comments, especially when they are at a critical update point (like dead in the middle of a neat trick or big picture update...). This does not mean I don't like or hate what the builder is doing, I'm just showing respect for his work.

As far as the whole "offensive comments" goes, I've been prefacing all my builds with the open disclaimer of "fire away, I can take the criticism". I really don't mind criticism, what I do mind is inane chatter that causes the thread to wander away from the topic at hand. I mean, a few comments here and there are understandable, this is supposed to be both fun as well as a learning experience anyway, so a few "off-topic backfires" help to break up the monotony of a long thread. But when the topic goes into full blown argument wars it then loses its purpose and degrades into utter chaos. Then there's no point in continuing it unless it's severely cleaned up.

Also in for a "like" button.

Ohh, there's one type of comment that really gets under my skin. The comments go something like...

"Why are you posting a build thread on this car? Aren't there like 50 gazillion of those being done on a daily basis here?!" Or....

"So many people have built it this way, here comes another one..." :D

Hey. Here's another one because I HAVEN'T BUILT ONE YET, so there. (Got one of these assinine posts in my Duster thread a while ago...)

Edited by Drake69

we need something to let the builders know we like the stuff sort of like a facebook "like" button

Well, the idea is great, but don't know, how does it work... For me (and maybe many others too) is great to have comments, where people say what is done good, and what isn't. But if there's just a "like" button, maybe there comes less comments and then you can just watch that how many likes and how many don't... So if there comes even less comments, that isn't good thing, is it?

But I understand well, what you are thinking.

And that's very important, how you say something. Because tips, tricks, how to make better should be also given gentile....

we need something to let the builders know we like the stuff sort of like a facebook "like" button

Well, you could do Iike I did, and do an on-line "snippet" (if available) of that...

LIKEsmall-vi.jpg

Of course, if emoticons are not wanted, what else is not wanted? We went through sim. situations over at "Der Spotenlighten" sight, I don't want to see that again. I still believe in the old addage "A picture is worth a thousand words". Or at least a snick or a chuckle.

Edited by Jon Cole

If an "I LIKE THIS" Button were to be added, I think it would only be fair to also add an "I DO NOT LIKE THIS" button also. In my opinion, this will never happen though, especially with the new rules on Criticism & non-negative commenting. All an "I LIKE THIS" tally button would do is give the build / builder a false sense of praise & admiration. Personally, you either get both buttons, or none at all. I really wish this message board could be more like wet concrete.... and harden up.

I agree 100% with Mike! It doesn't make any sense to say, how many likes, when you don't know, how many people don't like it. You can't compare them, and that's bad. :)

- I'm no longer posting my work in the workbench because I hardly get any responses on what I post, so I assume people aren't interested in what I build. People who post an open box with a body next to it get more response.

- I'm no longer posting comments on other people's work in the workbench, since if it is good, many others do anyway, and if it is not so good, the whole world comes down on me when I do.

- I'm not posting my work in the under glass, because none of my models are fished.

- I'm no longer posting comments on other people's work in the under glass for the same reason I no longer post comments on other people's work in the workbench.

Needless to say that I'm an avid browser of both sections and enjoy it a lot.

One thing that happens here is that many people seem to identify more with average quality builds than some of the really spectacular ones that get shown. I'm not really sure why that is, maybe it's the intimidation factor or something...

I've noticed that, too. I think it has to do with "comfort level." That is, when a mediocre model gets posted, many members will compliment it to no end, because it gives those people a certain comfort level...because they know that they, too, can build a model to that level. So in effect, by praising a less than praiseworthy model, they're actually validating their own skill level and in a backhanded sort of way, complimenting themselves. Sort of like saying, "hey, cool model, looks fantastic... and I can do that too!"

I'm no Sigmund Freud, but that's my take on it.

I'm I guess a little more picky than most as far as the builds I comment on. I've been at this model building thing for 40 years. I've been a builder, a contest judge and organizer, Model club founder, and have been around the internet forums almost since their inception. I've seen a lot of really great models, and frankly I'm a little jaded. There are so many models posted here that have great paint, and build quality that I couldn't possibly comment on them all.

So I save my comments for the ones that really turn me on. here is just a handfull of the models that caught my attention, so that maybe you can see what catches my eye.

Alex Kustov's Ferrari Lusso

finished07vi-vi.jpg

Novadose' CallawayMX

Picture292-vi.jpg

Dave MacGowan's Tank

battlebuggy05-vi.jpg

Jim Mac's Camaro

104vi-vi.jpg

Paulo Emilio's 32 ford

black9-vi.jpg

All of these for different reasons caught my eye, and as you can see there is no rhyme or reason, as much as they just stood out from the pack.