Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gunze Sangyo Austin Healey Sprite MK1

GeeBee

The trim on top of the doors and around the top of the dash and rear were polished aluminium of the real car, I wanted it to look as prototypical as possible, so I replicated the trim using aluminium BMF, I did this in 4 pieces, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Aluminium%20trim.JPG

This is looking awesome. Did you score the panel lines more than the kit has?

Yes I did, they looked a bit thin to me when I stripped the paint off, but I've recently bought the Lotus Elan kit from Gunze, and the panel lines look very shallow on that as well, not sure if all there kits are the same

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I've touch the little Sprite, so the last couple of days I've done a little bit more to it, the dash has now been fitted in place, along with the side trim panels, these needed a little bit of trimming as they cover the holes in the side of the bodyshell where the mounting pins on the chassis should protrude, but a little bit of trimming on the inside and they were o.k, they were all fitted using 4 minute epoxy, the front grille trim was fitted on before the body was painted, and was covered in chrome BMF, this was the first time I got to try out my new tool, a Testors burnishing tool, which worked very well,some thinned epoxy glue was dropped into the dash gauges to replicate the glass.

100_3227-vi.jpg

100_3228.JPG

100_3226.JPG

100_3229.JPG

Edited by GeeBee

It now has it's grill and headlamp pods fitted, the headlamps were a tight push fit in the pods, so didn't even need glue, also got the grille fitted, both the grille and headlamps were already stripped of there chrome when I got the kit, so I airbrushed them gloss black, and then gave them a few coats a Alclad chrome

Headlamp%20pods%20fitted%20(6).JPG

Front end finished, the front grille, headlamp pods and bumper were again done using Alclad chrome, the trim above the grille was done using chrome Bare Metal Foil (BMF) the chrome around the indicator lamps were done using the same chrome foil.

Front%20finished%20(1).JPG