Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello,

I am new to this forum. Been a peeper for a while and watched the wonders of the scale truck modeling. Now, I think it is time to give something back in return for the useful ideas I took from here.

Let me kick off with the famous model of the Stepp´s Can Do wrecker. The model is finished by now but I do not want to flood the thread with too many pictures at one moment. So, I will post them gradually. Some of you may know this build from another forum.

I set some limits for this project, such as no aftermarket parts and no different kits combination. I just modified some of the kit´s weird parts to bring them closer to reality. My goal was to make this 359 Pete look a bit more like the 379. Not as perfect as using the newer Italeri cab but I did my best with what I had.

One of the Revell items that were not satisfactory for me was the lift axle that looked like nothing on Earth I have ever seen. So scratchbuilt one of my own. I bended a 5mm rod above the candle. It took several tries to get a usable shape. Now for the pics of the primed rear frame and suspension.

P4020949.jpg

P4020951.jpg

P4020952.jpg

P4020953.jpg

P4020955.jpg

More to come if it is okay with you.

Jarda

First of all, welcome! I have been browsing myself for a while before showing anything in this forum. I'm pretty new myself here. These guys like to see new build styles and new experience showing up.

Soooo, I guess this truck is not your first try as I see with all the cables and hoses routed troughout the frame. It's already impressive!

By the way, this hobby is also very visual... So let's have those pictures!

Can't wait to see more, keep em coming! :angry:

Edited by Z06Bob

Thank you all for the nice welcome. You are right, Robert, it was not my first model truck. But it was my first attempt to make something different than just glue together what I found in the box. I have some experience from making models of the aircraft and armoured vehicles.

Here is a few pictures of the engine. I left the old Cummins under the hood even though it is not the correct engine for the Stepp´s unit. I did not even paint it yellow... no Cummipillar or Catmins or whatever. I just made it a single turbo version. I used the bigger of the two turbos. Its shell is twisted the other way round, I mean the inlet should be closer to the engine. Now I would do it another way but then I helped myself by making the strange tube connecting the turbo shell with aftercooler. I added a dip stick and some plumbing, then I weathered the engine slightly.

P4020944.jpg

P4020945.jpg

P4020947.jpg

P4020948.jpg

P6260067.jpg

It looks like I am not allowed to post more than 5 images in a single post. Is it just me or is the forum adjusted this way? I tried to find any note on this but no success. Maybe I just overlooked something.

Thanks for looking.

Jarda

Jarda, I like what I see. The weathering on the Cummins is so realistic! It's just right. The wiring, the tubing and the transmission details look great. This is one build to watch. Tell me something Jarda, how come you guys out there in Eastern Europe make such nice American truck models? I have seen a whole lot of great meticulously detailed and painted models from Russia, Poland and now the Czech Republic! Great job! I'm impressed. :wub:

Thanks a lot, guys.

Jarda, I like what I see. The weathering on the Cummins is so realistic! It's just right. The wiring, the tubing and the transmission details look great. This is one build to watch. Tell me something Jarda, how come you guys out there in Eastern Europe make such nice American truck models? I have seen a whole lot of great meticulously detailed and painted models from Russia, Poland and now the Czech Republic! Great job! I'm impressed. biggrin.png

That is interesting question and I doubt I know the answer. I cannot speak for anybody else but myself. When I build a model I try to get as much reference as possible. It was almost impossible in pre-internet times and I ended up with the out-of-box builds. But things have changed and now, with the internet I can get almost any info and reference that I need. Even though we do not meet American trucks on the local roads, there is a whole lot of useful web sites where to look for a reference. Truckpaper, for instance. There are exceptions, of course. Like I cannot find a good picture of a twin-turboed CAT 3408. Preferably the one installed in Bill Signs "Papa Clyde".

Now some more pictures of my CAN DO. The engine is installed in the frame and weathering applied.

P2220066.jpg

P2220067.jpg

P2220069.jpg

P6260073.jpg

The only way to say anything that covers everything done on this model is Great work.

Even though I don't weather my trucks because I build them as show trucks,your's

has the right touch.

I will have to use your photo's when I build a regular road truck.

Thank's for showing these

WOW !! :o

You've got my attention Jarda.

Excelent attention to detail & its really nice to see a "weathered" truck. I'm guessing its a cross-over from your armour building techniques?

Keep up the wonderful work. :wub:

Thank you all for your comments. One of the things that I had to do, in order to get 379-ish look, was the hood modification. Unfortunatelly, I did not take pictures of all the steps. I filled the recessed curves on the hood side with 1.2mm plastic cut to shape. Then I sanded off the wide stripe on top of the hood and replaced it with the 379 design. I also added the inside details like reinforcing structure and isulation blanket. Still it is a short hood though.

P4020957-1.jpg

P4020956.jpg

PA250034-1.jpg

P2230107-1.jpg

I did no big changes to the cab & interior. That remained in 359 style. Here is the dash of class from the kit. First I sanded off the woodgrain pattern because it was vertically oriented. Then I painted my own horizontal woodgrain. I used the instruments decal, but the rest is painted. BMF used for the lower rim.

I also made a set of pens. They do not write, unfortunatelly.

PA290057.jpg

I tried to change the firewall too. It has the 379 features but still looks a bit strange on the 359 narrow cab. Well... what can I say? Here is the cab & sleeper. BMF on the door rims.

PB110083.jpg

P2220070.jpg

P2220071.jpg

P2220079.jpg

Here is the cab sitting on the frame. The pictures are not so good. Another thing I have yet to learn.

PB110081.jpg

Nice day to all of you. Thanks for looking.

I built one of theses back when they first came out. I was a deputy sheriff in Polk County, Florida (Lakeland) and we had a division of Stepp's there. I was able to sit in the actual "Can Do," but the pictures I took did not come out very well. I did score a copy of their calendar that had a really nice shot of the truck. I'm in the middle of a move right now, but if I run across it, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. This CAN DO kit was the one that opened the door to the truck modeling for me. I have seen a few pics of a finished model and I knew that I had to have one too. But it was not easy to get one. The whole production of the kit was gone and the e-bay prices.... you know...

But I was lucky to come across a forgotten piece in a toy shop in Prague. The cab and hood were cracked all around but the kit was complete. I took it home with 10 % discount and Revell sent me a new set of cab & hood for free.

Chris: Even though my model is finished by now, I would sure like to see some pics. Just in case you really run across them.

Dave: I would not change the in-line 6 for 8V in the Stepp´s unit. But I do exactly this with another project that I am running now. And it is also based on 359 - 119" BBC. But I am changing the hood for 127" BBC.

Now some more pics. The building of the wrecker body went so well and smooth that I forgot to take a pic now and then. Here is the partially assembled truck fresh from the "spray booth". Enjoy, it is nice and clean. Won´t be for long.

PA250008.jpg

PA250009.jpg

PA250010.jpg

Now, meet my avatar pic in original size:

P4220157.jpg