Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a very nice job, Jarda I'm very new to this hobby, I'm learning a lot from all of help from your modelers. I have to ask how do you do the weathering? do you use a air brush? also the cab details like the wirers? what do you use? I just started to build with detail, I added airlines to the kenworth 123 that I'm working on, but you have done a beautifull job, you must have sergens steady hands!! please keep the pictures coming and I will keep asking the questions because thats how I learn. the help is very much usfull thanks to all

The CATD11R PUSHER DUDE

Edited by catd11rpusher

Hi Mike,

My weathering is a bit chaotic process. I do not have any strict procedure, just try to do what I read in hobby magazines. The techniques are well-known, I guess. Shading, fading, washing, dry brushing... you name it.

Yes, I do use... a sort of air brush. It´s Tamyia Spray Work. Not good enough for advanced painting techniques but quite okay for what I do. I am old schooler, painting with enamels though I plan to switch for acrylics. For weathering I use also the oil colors and chalks. I have a lot to learn myself. I cannot say I have things under my control. Sometimes I am surprised with the results that I get.

For wiring and plumbing I use anything suitable for the job. Usually some old electric wires, either with insulation on them or without or the insulation itself. Also a fishing line and lead wires. For the modern lines with protective cover (sorry, do not know a proper English term) I inspect my wife´s sewing stuff and sometimes steal something from her.

Gauges... I do not know. It just has to look right. Not too much thick, not too much thin.

Hope it helped a bit.

• 2 months later...

im amazed at the weathering on how real it looks like others have said u could put er outside and id think she was real,..even the grease on the u joints and the dusting on the frame,

just wondering what your next project was?

keep up the great work

steve --farway model truck fleet

I built one of theses back when they first came out. I was a deputy sheriff in Polk County, Florida (Lakeland) and we had a division of Stepp's there. I was able to sit in the actual "Can Do," but the pictures I took did not come out very well. I did score a copy of their calendar that had a really nice shot of the truck. I'm in the middle of a move right now, but if I run across it, I'll be happy to send it to you.

That's funny, I used to go to school at Pathway Christian right behind Stepps lot. At recess I would always go hang out by the fence to watch them move the trucks out or bring trucks in with can-do. That truck was really a beast when you're looking at it at 8 years old...lol

Ron

This truck is gorgeous, all the photos of the weathering are awesome, one would think it was the truck in a garage before it got washed, excellent job.

I built one years ago, have another one in a box and found the 379 hood/cab conversion for the true rig, just need time to get working on it

• 1 year later...

Thank you guys for positive feedback to my old build. I took this model to the Panthers Model Show, one of the local contests, back in 2012 and I ended up in the third place. It was a category which combined the 1/25, 1/24 and 1/87 scales. I learned a lot making this model. Thank you, again.

Totally cool. I'm hoping to find one for a reasonable price. Hoping Revell will reissue it soon. You have done great on this rig.

Mike

Mike,

This kit is due out later this year and it is on the Tower Hobbies website for $89.99.