Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just got some Renshape, and all I can say is WOW!

That stuff machines LIKE BUTTA! It DOES make a lot of dust, however. I saw a big wet/dry vac on clearance at Lowes today. I'm going to go get it tomorrow morning. It makes so much dust that I think I'll whittle away as much as I can before turning it on the lathe.

You gotta get some of this stuff.

how about some photos of whatever you are using it for. what density did you get?and finally before someone else asks What is renshape?

I had to google it too. Seems to be some type of foam material which is used in protoype modelling. On my search, I came across this thread on another forum:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=195854

People like this always make me feel like a total perman00b.

how about some photos of whatever you are using it for. what density did you get?and finally before someone else asks What is renshape?

I don't have any photos yet. I don't know what density it is; I found a guy who had some scraps available so I got them. The color is a brownish pink, almost like granite. I did a Google search and from the color, I'd guess I have Renshape 440. I'd say it has about the same density as Basswood, but of course no grain.

Renshape is a machinable high density foam. Later today, I'll find out if it can be drilled and tapped, for now, I have to go to a company BBQ. Later

Found the spec sheet online:

REN SHAPE® 440 LOW-DENSITY STYLING BOARD

Ren Shape 440 is a light reddish-brown, syntactic polyurethane board. Ren Shape 440 has a moderately low

density of approximately 31 to 34 pounds per cubic foot. Ren Shape 440 machines very easily and finishes to a

good surface. The product is useful as a material for hand working and CNC machining styling and temporary

master models.

Advantages include:

• Easy to hand-work and machine

• Very fast cutting speeds

• Non-abrasive

• Excellent edge definition

• Excellent hardness (Shore 58D)

• Good dimensional stability

Applications include temporary and architectural master models, styling models and prototypes, visual

models, NC tape proofing, and other applications requiring fast machining and good model surfaces.

Ren Shape comes in several different densities; some are so dense that carbide cutters are needed. 440 is one of the more "modeler-friendly" versions, it's low density and cuts easily.

i've used renshape a lot. it is wonderful stuff to work with. it is machinable and hand workable. i've built the masters for my 417 donovan completely out of renshape. the screwblower and the entire top end of the BAE motor in my TAD. the lenco and the BRT unit in the camaro. my strange top loader rear. i have a 1/8 scale '41 willys promod body master that needs to be finished but, still all of it is made from 440 renshape. also done a ton of other stuff with it. it will hold a .015 wide fin if you are gentle machining it. i've done fins in mickey thompson valve covers, donovan valve covers, electronic boxes (although to hold perfect fins in the electronic stuff i used a higher density since the fins can get really fine.) you do need to prep it a little to paint it. other than that the stuff is wonderful. just my 2 cents worth.

I've used RenShape 440 since 1995, when Chris Etzel (then of Etzel's Speed Classics) introduced me to it. 440 carves beautifully, sands, files, drills just as nicely.

it does have a certain "graininess", but any good lacquer primer will seal and fill the surface; once sanded it is smooth as any styrene. I've run a bit of the stuff through my Sherline mill, and it works very well there. Milling chips do come off, just as one would expect, but it's not particularly dusty, and a quick vacuuming with my hand vac--end of problem. Both epoxies and CA glues work very well with the stuff as well.

Art

I've been using it for about just more than a year now but I've only utilized it for making bucks for resin casting molds. Never have I tried to use it for some of the applications listed here and that link above is truely amazing with the Ford Tri Motor being scratchbuilt.

Does this stuff rust tools like balsa foam? Also there does not seem to be a place to get it in small modeler friendly sizes, at least from the research I've done. And the bigger stuff is not cheap.

No idea on the rust issue.

I haven't found it in modeler-friendly quantities from any dealer. I stumbled across someone selling scraps.

Maybe we could get several guys together to buy a giant chunk, then have it cut into smaller pieces.

dave, the .015" wide fins i was referring to were on the valve cover. the fins on the valve cover were achieved with a .032"cutter on .045" centers. that leaves a .13" fin standing. i just call it .015" 'cause it's easier. the ribs on the block, while i could have spent a bunch of time machining out in between each individual rib. it was just a bunch easier to machine the side of the block without the ribs and then go back and install them as separate operation. i hope that helps.

as far as finding renshape......i lucked out and bought mine on ebay. it was new in the wrapper and i paid about half the going price for it.