Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jolly Roger Merc - back on the bench 8/30/15

Jantrix

Okay quick quiz. What do a pair of Dollar Store silky panties, gold thread, Revell 49 Merc, a sheet of balsa, a sheet of thin brass, some cheap Michaels jewelry, and some skulls all have in common?

2011-08-11131141.jpg

To help you out the name of my next theme build - the Jolly Roger! I've been planning this for a long time, and it is heavily inspired by Doc Cranky's work and Hollywood Jim's Bad Penny. Finally the last pieces I need, a barrel and a scale skeleton are on their way to me this week. The kit will feature a highly detailed interior which is why I removed the top. I'll add wood supports and fabricate a removable canvas-esque soft top.The trunk will be hinged and I'll fabricate a treasure chest to be featured there. Engine, chassis, suspension, wheels etc. will be box stock. The paint will be flat black, but I have much more planned for it that I'll keep under wraps for now. I'm not going to do anything silly like sails and what not. Lots to do, it's gonna be fun.

Edited by Jantrix

sounds really cool, i too am a hugh fan of doc cranky and ken hamilton ,this is gonna be a fun build to watch ,good luck

My mistake guys it was Hollywood Jim, who built the Bad Penny. Sorry Jim.

Thanks guys. First order, clean up the floor pan, paint and begin laying the wood floor boards in the cab and trunk area. Clean up the body and the cuts I've made and get it in primer.

Okay quick quiz. What do a pair of Dollar Store silky panties, gold thread, Revell 49 Merc, a sheet of balsa, a sheet of thin brass, some cheap Michaels jewelry, and some skulls all have in common?

2011-08-07183143.jpg

To help you out the name of my next theme build - the Jolly Roger! I've been planning this for a long time, and it is heavily inspired by Doc Cranky's work and Hollywood Jim's Bad Penny. Finally the last pieces I need, a barrel and a scale skeleton are on their way to me this week. The kit will feature a highly detailed interior which is why I removed the top. I'll add wood supports and fabricate a removable canvas-esque soft top.The trunk will be hinged and I'll fabricate a treasure chest to be featured there. Engine, chassis, suspension, wheels etc. will be box stock. The paint will be flat black, but I have much more planned for it that I'll keep under wraps for now. I'm not going to do anything silly like sails and what not. Lots to do, it's gonna be fun.

I swear honey the panties are for a model I am building. Ya that would totally not work for me.

I will be following this build with great intrest.

haha, when i read the part about the dollar panties for a second i though i was on the wrong forum... :rolleyes: it was a good idea to have her buy them, did she give you a wierd look?? like the are YOU going to wear them instead of using them for a project??? :lol: :lol:

good times. looking forward to the booty catcher..

it was a good idea to have her buy them, did she give you a wierd look??

Nope. Her idea. She's my decor consultant. I said "Dear, I need something satiny and thin for the interior of this model."

Without missing a beat she said, "Panties. I'll check the dollar store tomorrow."

That's my gal. Oh and by the way, some work done but nothing worth photographing. Floor pan in primer. Black tomorrow and then I start laying the wood flooring. For a wonder, the chassis and engine will be the last thing done because they require no alterations. I don't think that's ever happened to me before :rolleyes:. I've masked off the areas on the door panels I don't want in red satin pantie material. I'll use some spray adhesive and cover the entire piece in he satin. When dry I'll try trimming away the excess with a new blade and a straight edge. Hopefully the adhesive will hold it well.

Edited by Jantrix

Okay some work done as I found some time between work and sleep. I did a trial attempt with an old bench seat and it worked great. Elmers craft spray adhesive and the pantie material. When the adhesive was dry. I put a straight edge on the back and made my cut. It looks perfect, no fraying or pulling. So I have taped off the areas that are tuck and roll on the door panels. This area will be distressed a bit and then painted to resemble wood. I'd have painted those first but acrylic craft paint hates masking tape. The edges where the wood meets the red fabric will get the gold piping. I'll cut the excess red fabric away tomorrow and see how she looks.

I also got the two last pieces for this one. The skelly (whom will be refered to as Cap'n Bones from here on) and the rum barrel. I'm a little disappointed with the way Cap'n Bones was molded. The hand is molded to the head and the legs are joined where they cross. Gonna be tricky separating these so that he's posable. Having a fun time with this.

2011-08-11123759.jpg

2011-08-11123817.jpg

2011-08-11131141.jpg

You are either talking about Thursday night at my Uncle Kevin's place, or the beginning of what looks like it will be a very off-the-wall, very cool Merc build!

Dave it is in fact a micro-fiber and yep, pretty stretchy. It helped me pull it around the edges and superglue it to the back. I tried cutting out the center panel when I got home from work tonight, (couldn't wait) and it trimmed off nicely. No unraveling or pulling. I'll do the other side and the rear panel (remains of rear seat) tomorrow. This is not going to be a rat rod. It will look like a traditional hot rod with a wierd theme. I'll be doing some mild weathering in the engine bay and underside, but that's about it. Alright.......................maybe not so traditional...............but I promise you. No rat.

2011-08-11230046.jpg

Chuck..............your Uncle Kevin says hi. :lol:

Edited by Jantrix

Hmm.......................okay I'd like some opinions here. I have painted the tuck and roll to look like wood. And added the gold piping. And I'm thinking the this piping thread is way too thick. Now bear in mind this is supposed to be a bit over-the-top and kinda gaudy, but still I think this is too much. The thread is multi strand and I can wind a smaller piping using fewer strands. What do you think? Toooo gaudy or tasteless enough for any self-respecting pirate?

2011-08-12104533.jpg

For a prate, wasn't the prate captain or the main guy the boss.. didn't he/she always wear alot more then what the others did to show they was the big man in charge? So there for, I think the piping should also show signs of the big man also on his ship. I think the piping you used, is a good size sign of the big man kinda to so to his passengers (ship mates). I like what you are doing on this build.

Pirate captains always wore more garish outfits than the men in their crews. This was to make them more memorable to the ships they attacked, and their flags were just as distinctive. It was a tactic to instill fear into whatever luckless galleon happened to blunder into their gunsights.

After some serious grokking on the subject of the soft top for this build here is what I have come up with. I really want this to resemble sail canvas.

1. Repaired the corners of the piece that was cut from the roof. I drilled the corners to start the cut and shape the corners. Then I added some half round stock and sanded it down a bit. With the expected gap, it still fits pretty good.

2011-08-17093312.jpg

2011-08-17093410.jpg

2. I stretched a piece of lint free cloth across the surface and taped to the back side and taped it into place on the model body. These lint free cloths I have gotten many private messages about (I used one to make the mexican blanket in my shop truck build). They are a thin cloth wipe often found in machine shops and labratories. They only come in bags of 100 and are VERY expensive. I wish I had more. What I have is left over from a previous employer.

3. I mixed a white glue/water mixture and applied it liberally over the cloth. If all goes well when dry it should hold it's shape pretty well. Note to self: in the future use a new (read: clean) brush for this application. I was so into what I was doing that I failed to notice the little slivers of brown acrylic paint that we being left by the brush. I'll likely use the removed portion of the top to make a frame to go beneath it. Seems simplest to me and I won't have to bend something to match the arc of the roof.

2011-08-17094803.jpg

2011-08-17094834.jpg

More soon.