Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did they ever kit the yellow coupe from American Graffiti?

Whoa guys...how did you miss this one? ERTL made a 1/18 diecast that was fairly accurate. I got one at the Goodguys car show and had Paul LeMat sign it...he was there. I've yet to see the 55 though...and somehow I doubt I could get Harrison Ford to sign it...lol

Unfortunately, this format won't let me take the pics from my computer...whats up with that?

[Yep spot on paul , the coupe was the old mpc mold and had the switchers twin four barrel carbs instead of the manofree four carb manifold also had wrong diff and was channelled lowboy style . Also had high rise seats instead of bench seat .

Was going to post photos of milners rail i built , but it seems this new format wont let me i can post photos at all other forums im a member of but not here , oh well sorry about that !

httpIMG]<a%20%20data-cke-saved-href=

Edited by scummy

Whoa guys...how did you miss this one? ERTL made a 1/18 diecast that was fairly accurate. I got one at the Goodguys car show and had Paul LeMat sign it...he was there. I've yet to see the 55 though...and somehow I doubt I could get Harrison Ford to sign it...lol

Unfortunately, this format won't let me take the pics from my computer...whats up with that?

Errr...

I'm usually very reluctant to mention the 'D'-word in this forum, but I do have the Milner Deuce, Bob's 55 Chevy, Steve's 58 Chevy and the Pharaos' 51 Merc in 1:18 and find them stunningly beautiful. I also have 100mm PVC figures I once bought at Planet Hollywood in El Lay to display with them. Note: Solido made a 2CV in blue which does a good job resembling Curt's car.

So that only leaves Terry's Vespa ? And thinking a little more on this subject, it leads one to ponder, why these iconic cars and let's add the '55 from Two Lane Black Top, have no decent plastic kits, just "make a buck" knock offs. Yeah, yeah, I know, the licensing $$$.

Edited by Greg Myers

What is it that is wrong with the MPC kit.I don't have that kit and never have....so I don't know.If heard there was big promlems with using it.does anyone know what all of the troubles with it are and what other kit is better.I like buiding my own display models....so I'd want to build it not buy it done.any advise I'd like to here.Thank you,Chris

[Yep spot on paul , the coupe was the old mpc mold and had the switchers twin four barrel carbs instead of the manofree four carb manifold also had wrong diff and was channelled lowboy style . Also had high rise seats instead of bench seat .

Was going to post photos of milners rail i built , but it seems this new format wont let me i can post photos at all other forums im a member of but not here , oh well sorry about that !

httpIMG]<a%20%20data-cke-saved-href=

Mark covers it all right here.

the Two-Lane Blacktop car is iconic only to a niche group of people. as much as i like that movie and as cool as i think it was, most people you will ever talk to have never heard of it or don't remember it. American Graffitti on the other hand is a pretty well known movie, not just to car enthusiasts.

the '55 from TLB was also done as a 1/18 diecast but not a very good one unfortunately.

True and we, here on this model car board are niche people that would possibly be interested in that kit.and your assessment of the TLB 1/18th diecast is certainly correct.

There's a 1/24 scale Vespa 50S in the Tamiya "Campus Friends" set.

Yeah, but Terry's was the big frame GS, or am I rivet counting now? Entirely btw, the 2CV is the only vehicle I could spot in the movie which is out of period, being a 1967 AZA model.

A 1/18 Vespa GS would be available from Maisto.

Edited by Junkman

the '55 kit is the same way, it's got all the important parts right there in the box already and builds the car as it was scripted for a '62 street machine. don't expect to find a '65-up big-block Chevy in that one, it's got a 409.

That's the only real gripe I have about any of the Falfa Chevies (I have the Revell and Ertl d/c, plus the Hot Wheels one from a few years ago) is that they replicate the car as it would be "period correct", rather than how the car actually was.Of the two, I give the accuracy nod to the 1:18 Ertl, though, as they got the suspension and the tilt frontend right, where the Revell has the stock suspension and regular style hood.

Well, I'm surprised no one thought to point out ...

Jaydar, are you talking about building a Milner Coupe? If so, which one of the dozens they used in filming do you want to replicate? Each one was slightly different, having different original colors under their yellow paint ... and there's some controversy over exactly which yellow was used in which scene or whether the coupe had marker lights or not ... and then some of the coupes they used in filming had black interiors, some had tan with overspray on the windows, some had black engine compartments while others had their original paint left untouched in the engine compartment, and don't forget the bracing for the police-car jumps. Then, of course ... don't forget that the doors were supposed to be welded shut. Or was that cut open? Or was that closed but allegedly welded shut? Or ... well ... you can see there's a lot of research you have to do in order to build a proper Milner Coupe!

(Emoticon indicating "Just funnin', kids" here.)

Jaydar, are you talking about building a Milner Coupe? If so, which one of the dozens they used in filming do you want to replicate? Each one was slightly different, having different original colors under their yellow paint ... and there's some controversy over exactly which yellow was used in which scene or whether the coupe had marker lights or not ... and then some of the coupes they used in filming had black interiors, some had tan with overspray on the windows, some had black engine compartments while others had their original paint left untouched in the engine compartment, and don't forget the bracing for the police-car jumps. Then, of course ... don't forget that the doors were supposed to be welded shut. Or was that cut open? Or was that closed but allegedly welded shut? Or ... well ... you can see there's a lot of research you have to do in order to build a proper Milner Coupe!

:):lol::D:P Let's see that's about 4000 words

Jaydar, are you talking about building a Milner Coupe? If so, which one of the dozens they used in filming do you want to replicate? Each one was slightly different, having different original colors under their yellow paint ... and there's some controversy over exactly which yellow was used in which scene

It was a "cross between piss yellow and puke green" B)