Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show Yer Drag Racers!

SuperStockAndy

Here are a few of my dragsters.

This one was built about 1964 when I was 14. It is built after the Yont's brothers method with lots of 00-90 brass nuts and bolts. Look close and you can see all the real bolts including rear wheel lug nuts.. Engine and rear wheels and tires from the great old Sizzler kit. Body was carved in wood, a plaster cast taken of that, and finally a fiberglass body shell from the mold. Frame is balsa. Lots of scratch built parts including brass headers, front suspension, corvair steering gear, blower scoop, etc. This was way before anyone made a '33 Willys body in styrene kit form.

2439Model2.jpg2439Model1.jpg

This is an HO slot car built for an old Auto World mail-in contest. It was built about 1970. It was built about the same way as the one above of wood model, and fiberglass shell. Frame is scratch built from soldered toghether brass. Whole thing was then chromed. Has steering front wheels, wheels are 1/4" x 1/8" ball bearings w/ O-ring tires.

HO_Willys.jpg

Edited by Willys36

Here are some more;

This I guess you could call this a bracket racer. '39 Willys 4-dr sedan, It has a Chrysler hemi w/ dual carbs, Halibrand mags. Scratch built using Revell Willys kits as a starting point.

39_Willys.jpg

Finally, this isn't really a dragster but it is a close cousin. Built in late 70s for another Auto World mail in contest (they went out of business before the contest was finished) it is an HO land speed record car. Wood/fiberglass body, two Aurora motors merged, home-made 3/4" dia (allowed in rules) aluminum wheels w/ O-ring tires. Never run but it should scream w/ those big wheels and 2:1 gear ratio!

mellow_yellow_3.jpg

mellow_yellow_2.jpg

mellow_yellow_4.jpg

Last couple;

This was a pretty much box stock build-up of an AMT Willys. Won the local Revell contest (1964?) and went on to the regional.

Revell_Trophy.jpg

This car was built a few years ago using the AMT 57 Chevy and Revell dragster kits. Frame and body are greatly modified of course. Rear slicks are currently rotten and it is in need of restoration.

JB4.JPG

JB2.JPG

Mr. Jones, that '33 is bleepin' unbelievable!!! Does the model still exist? If so it should definitely be in the model car museum in Salt Lake...What a great piece of modeling history. The H.O. is pretty cool too.

I still have it but many years ago my toddler niece got hold of it and crushed it! She is now 40 and mother of two and I still want to brain her when we are together!!!!!! It is on my to-do list to restore. Along with about 75 years-worth of other projects.

Great variety of cars here, I too keep coming back.

A couple more for you, the altered was built about 10 years ago and is fully wired and plumbed (getting too old to do that now <_<). The funny car is out of the box and was built about the same time.

003-7.jpg

004-9.jpg

006-6.jpg

Here's a Monogram Reher-Morrison Camaro P/S I built back in the early 80's. I just dug this one out of storage today and was surprised the decals held up as well as they did. I used enamel paint out of a spray can to paint the body and the white paint has 'yellowed' a bit over the years. I guess I wasn't so good with the glue back then. I see glue on the windows. :unsure:

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just found this site and you guys do some awesome work. I just started to build my first model car since about 1990. at that time I had around 5500 kits and opened a hobby and card shop here im sayre PA sold all of the kits. will post my first kit build in a few days.

• 5 weeks later...