Model Cars Magazine Forum

I’ve had an idea I’ve been kicking around for a while now.

I’ve always liked the ‘atomic bug’ front end on the ’61 Plymouth, and I’ve always wondered how it would look paired up with the tall bat fins off the ’60 model. I always thought such a vehicle painted flat black and de-chromed would have made a fantastic Batmobile! And I’ve been toying with the idea of building a late ‘50’s/early 60’s Ranchero-style car/pickup based on a Mopar, since Chrysler themselves didn’t get with that little program in this country until the early ‘80’s.

A while back I built a Promolite 2000 ’61 Fury, and I was working on a second one when I copped an epic bone-up and ruined the body. I felt like a total clod messing up such a nice kit, but decided I was going to make something good out of the mistake. Now I had the ’61 stuff I needed, and I figured- why not try all three ideas on one model- ’61 front end on ’60 body, and make it a pickup?

A couple of days ago I got a glue-bombed Jo-Han ’60 wagon. NOW the fun could start! The kit was immediately disassembled and dunked in the Barney Bath.

0001370006933_511915_6741245_n-vi.jpg

0001370006933_511916_5931930_n-vi.jpg

The ’61 turned out to be a bit wider than the ’60 body, although it matched up perfectly at the base of the windshield. Well, as close to perfectly as one could hope, anyway. To make the fenders meet flush with the doors, I slit them under the side trim and pushed them in, then glued them flush against the doors. Now I have a use for the ’61 nose, and the swap meant no repair was necessary to the broken ’60 cowl. I’m not sure if I will leave the hood sealed or not on this one.

So far I have not removed the b-posts, but I have rescribed the door lines from a 4 door to a 2 door. Not sure exactly how this will turn out, but it should be fun!

00001370006933_515116_354890_n-vi.jpg