Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Sprint Car

Put off opening the grill area as long as I could. First attempt will be on the original vintage part. Drew a rough outline, drilled a starting hole and inserted a jeweler saw.

IMG_5846-vi.jpg

IMG_5845s-vi.jpg

Tricky to hold part by hand while sawing. Broke blade on the first attempt but after a while you get the hang of it. Any better ideas would be appreciated before I cut up the 4 Bar body. The cut was not true to the drawing.

IMG_5847-vi.jpg

But some repairs could be made by trying different rasps and files.

IMG_5848-vi.jpg

Syd, just use a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel and make a huge opening in the grill area, cutting slots in all directions without cutting into the outline of the opening. Then use a small sanding drum in the Dremel to finish making the grill opening outline.

It's all pretty simple, as the fiberglass cuts and sands very easy. Just wear a dust mask ( a cheapy paper kind), and have the shop vacuum going at the same time to collect all the grinding and sanding dust.

Hope this helps.

CHEERZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MADD FABRICATOR

No plan, just forging ahead with a grill. There must be better ways of doing this. Anyway made a loop from 10 gage copper wire. It looked like it stood out too much for the scale so tried some putty vbglossarlink.png to act as a ledge inside the nose and also to maybe reduce the visual effect of the wire size.

IMG_5851-vi.jpg

Don't know how to make a curved grill so laid some small wire on top and held it in place with masking vbglossarlink.png tape.

IMG_5854-vi.jpg

Soldered the wires. (ugly solder job) But files took care of the mess.

IMG_5856-vi.jpg

Slathered on some putty.

IMG_5857-vi.jpg

Looks like I painted myself into the proverbial corner. Now I know for sure I wont be able to have a chrome grill. Guess the entire nose cone of the Vintage version will be one color. Maybe I can figure something else out for the 4bar version.

IMG_5858-vi.jpg

5/8th rod ends from TDR are on hand so I can size the radius rods and add installation tabs.

IMG_5859-vi.jpg

Learned I should have had a plan. Should not have mounted front hubs yet. No room to get a wrench into place for the lower front rod bracket. Might have to just glue that bolt in place (maybe all bolts? doubt there is much spring in this chassis anyway) Nothing is locked up yet - just laying in place. Still some painting required.

IMG_5861-vi.jpg

The back axle had the radius rod and shock mounts knocked off as it bounced around during handling of the frame the past few weeks. Just another reason to use TDR vbglossarlink.png 's quick change instead of the old Deuce kit assembly. The good part is bolting the radius rods to the brackets allowed me to angle the brackets properly to reduce strain. I put everything in place before final gluing vbglossarlink.png in of the rod ends. Fortunately no one will see the rear axle once the body is in place as I have hand painted it more than once while it rattled around back here and it needs one more coat. Notice the finely tuned and machined holding fixtures in place as the glue drys.

IMG_5864-vi.jpg

Slathered on some putty.

IMG_5857-vi.jpg

Looks like I painted myself into the proverbial corner. Now I know for sure I wont be able to have a chrome grill. Guess the entire nose cone of the Vintage version will be one color. Maybe I can figure something else out for the 4bar version.

IMG_5858-vi.jpg

Very impressive work you did, and I don't feel like you have painted yourself into any corner! You should be very proud of yourself and what you accomplished! Just tape it off and shoot it will Alclad Chrome or the HOK Mirror Chrome and you will be golden.

This scratch building requires too much planning and experimenting for an old guy. I am looking forward to digging up a nice kit for my next project. Anyway test fitting goes on with the radius rods, torsion bars, etc. Glad this is all bolted together because it has had to come apart time and again.

IMG_5866-vi.jpg

IMG_5868-vi.jpg

Rod ends worked great. Made all the difference for attaching radius rods. AND I found a use for the 3/8th ones I bought by mistake. They will be used in the Jacobs Ladder I need for the rear axle - But I would much rather be working on a kit project. May have to buy your 6.1 Liter Hemi. Do you plan to offer the detail parts like the alternator in the latest fine grain material?

May have to buy your 6.1 Liter Hemi. Do you plan to offer the detail parts like the alternator in the latest fine grain material?

When the time comes that you want to buy it, just let me know and I will see what I can do for you. I am sure we can work something up pretty quick.

Glad the rod ends worked out. I really thing they should become a "hot item" for the scratch builders. They are truely a new and unique item and are unequaled in their functionality........... because the are real, fully functional, rod ends.

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/

http://www.tdrcatalog.com/servlet/StoreFront

• 3 months later...