Model Cars Magazine Forum

(WIP) 68 Vette PM Body...update 1.11.13

hOLMS

Hello all..
Starting a new pro mod body, we'll see where it ends up. Posting some pix of the start. So far I've positioned the top (chopped around .080") and smoothed the rear fender flares, will be extending the rear .250". The nose will be stretched around .400" or so. Should be a fun subject, think I've seen a recent photo of one and didn't much like it. This one will be a body experiment only, unless I can fit to an almost done brass chassis I've made. Thanks for looking!

000_0040.jpg

000_0041.jpg

000_0042.jpg

Edited by hOLMS

Jeff I will be following this one. I am sure you will do this body wonders my friend. If its anything like your Chevelle body, it is sure going to come alive. Looking forward to seeing what you have instore with this one. I will wait patiently for pics.

Wow, it's going to be really interesting build. All Pro Mod builds are interesting, but I haven't seen any of '68 Corvettes built PM so I'll be following this one. Your building skills are awesome, that top chop is looking really good.

Thanks for the interest guys, just trying one that's not-so-popular, hoping to make it look believable. Thanks for the pic Dave, awesome ride.

First pic is a very recent vette that I hope to incorporate styling cues from.....like stance and length mostly. When I ran across this shot, that was enough motivation for me. I have extended the rear 1/4" in middle of fenderwells, working now to reshape the openings, using cut index cards as templates. Next step, extend the front .400" and establish the wheelbase, more updates soon. Thanks for looking!!

dragon2-3.jpg

000_0044.jpg

000_0043.jpg

000_0045.jpg

This should be awesome Jeff, that black vette that you have a pictire of runs at Carolina dragway alot It's owned by Rick Fleck I think his name is, procharged motor, and he calls it the Dragon, bad ride for sure, I think I've got some pics of it somewhere if you need any, you're off to a great start cant wait to see some updates...

Edited by tyrone

Thanks for the comments guys, I've had the opportunity to work on this most of the day (which is rare...lol). Things are shaping up a bit, hoping to move quick in these early stages! More progress pix...thanks for looking.

Nose extended .420 and new rear wheel openings cut and formed from .030 sheet

000_0046.jpg

New rear openings in place

000_0049.jpg

Side-skirt templates cut and positioned for placement

000_0055.jpg

New side skirts from .030 sheet cut and placed

000_0059.jpg

000_0058.jpg

while this is a few years later body. it still may help with the "visualization" of a '68 pro mod vette.

4661344534_46c1c0e2ea.jpg

i hope this helps!

Wow, that's Marko Lantto's Corvette Pro Mod. The personal best of that car is about 6,3 seconds.... But it's very nice. Finnish Pro Modifieds are always nice to see. :unsure: Here's a link to another picture. (not mine) http://kuvia.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat+2010/FHRA/Defa+Finals+2010/Sunday/MOP_5018.jpg

Hi all...this one is addictive, loving this body and the lines, lending itself well to these mods....I think. Gotta few updates and I plan to spend a good portion of the day playing around with this ProVette. Thanks for looking.

Front air-dam roughed in...

000_0064.jpg

Marked for splitting, body to be a scale 74" wide in rear and a scale 72" wide in front....this requires widening by .230"...

000_0082.jpg

Body split into

000_0083.jpg

Smoothed inside of body while apart (lot easier to do the rough removal of old body while apart), still more to go once back together...

000_0084.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys....John, usually I work with the Squadron green putty, hardens well overnight. I do have some automotive filler I use sometimes. I use all kinds of sanding sticks, files and different grit sandpaper depending on what needs to be done, roughing or finishing. Hope that helps.

Posting couple updated pix. First shot shows .25 wide filler glued in widening the body. Second shot shows reshaped front wheel openings, front and rear are only roughed in for now. Third is B4 and aft. Thanks for looking!!

000_0093.jpg

000_0106.jpgB4Aft.jpg

Edited by hOLMS