Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Classics

imatt88

The MPC Stutz Bearcast is the feature kit the current issue/"Classic Kits" column of the other modeling magazine.  It's a really well done kit.  TIM   

Didn't know that! 3 issues I'm aware of, Connoseuir Classics, Bearcats TV car, and a Red Stutz issue, 

Engine really cool, cast would be great rat rod motor. If only they kitted a DV32, or a Mercer.

The MPC Stutz Bearcast is the feature kit the current issue/"Classic Kits" column of the other modeling magazine.  It's a really well done kit.  TIM   

The Collings Foundation has a really pretty one, too. What I'll call French Grey with red seats and pinstripes. I'm thinking of doing mine like that.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday I received the Lindberg/Pyro Auburn Speedster in the mail. It is no where near as bad as I expected. Other than the door opening lines being convex rather than concave, and the lack of a chrome grille, it's actually a very nice. The engine leaves a little bit to be desired too. But, everything else looks pretty good. Everything seems to fit very well together. And the kit has the overall lines of the Auburn Speedster down pat. Better than many full size Auburn Speedster replicas I've seen. It's a primitive kit by today's standards. But, with very little work it should look pretty good when finished. Much better than the old Pyro/Lindberg Cord.

By the way, I was so impressed with how well Dave's Lindberg (ex Pyro) Continental turned out, that I decided to order one. Which way will this kit lay? Is it more like the Pyro Cord? Or the Pyro Auburn? Either way, like the old Pyro/Lindberg kit, with a little love it should turn out okay. I'll report on the Lincoln when it gets here. I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Scott

The clunky windshield frame is one of the worst parts to me. I'd cut away the upper portions of the frame and carefully paint very thin chrome around the upper edges of the glass, with a proper curve on the corners; there may be an aftermarket DuVal windshield frame that is more accurate. (Use the box art photo of the real car as a guide.)  Note that the step plate on the rockers should go down much further than molded. I have never seen even the best build of this kit where the hood fits flush, so test fitting and sanding are critical. One problem that really can't be conquered is that the grille part is too vertical and doesn't lean back enough, but that's no big deal. If you can conquer the windshield and the hood fit, this can look great.

Edited by sjordan2

I bought that Auburn kit several years ago and considered building it. But just recently, after again looking over its flaws (mentioned above and also misshapen grille and few more things), I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I went on eBay and found myself a slightly damaged Franklin Mint diecast rendition of that car for a really good price. What a huge difference in appearance. The Franklin Mint model looks so much better!

• 1 year later...
On October 18, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Russell C said:

Yes it is, and folks will suggest that I seek psychiatric help since recently I couldn't help acquiring one of these for cheap, to do just that.

And that's why we get along.  :P   Not that I would never do such a thing.

Bigatti exploded view.jpg

On January 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM, unclescott58 said:

The mailman just dropped off the Lindberg '37 Cord I ordered a couple of days ago. Opening up the box, it looks as good/bad as I remember it to be. No where as nice as Monogram's version. Still, it's kind of cool. And Idon't know why?

Scott

The reason I searched and then read this topic!  I am considering getting the Monogram Cord, since I found a book about Tom Mix's car was published recently.

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The reason I searched and then read this topic!  I am considering getting the Monogram Cord, since I found a book about Tom Mix's car was published recently.

Kurt , you won't be dissapointed with Monogram's Cord .

Zep Diner w Packard & Cord in front.jpg

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

As noted by Ellen above, you will not be disappointed by the Monogram Cord. It's way better and easier to build than the old Pyro, now Lindberg, Cord. Though the Lindberg Cord can turn out okay, with a little work. Work that is not needed with the Monogram kit. 

You could probably even build the Tom Mix Cord using the 1/12 AMT kit, which was my plan.  Though it’s a 2-seater, it shouldn’t be too hard to adapt to a cabriolet with a back seat and smaller trunk lid (they have the same wheelbase).

14 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

You could probably even build the Tom Mix Cord using the 1/12 AMT kit, which was my plan.  Though it’s a 2-seater, it shouldn’t be too hard to adapt to a cabriolet with a back seat and smaller trunk lid (they have the same wheelbase).

Uh, and that very same Cord (the '36-'37 Convertible Phaeton, first issued about 1966 or so in 1/24 by Monogram) has been reissued more than once by Monogram since it first appeared in the mid-1960's.  Unfortunately the Classic luxury cars of the late 20's through the 1930's never really achieved Oscar-winning status (taking the Academy Awards of Hollywood into model car stardom), as most all of them "flamed out" as model car subjects when as the Baby Boom Generation was growing up in the 1960's.  That's fact, not fiction, take it from one who was deeply into the hobby industry at the retail level 1964 all the way out to the 1980's!)

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

On 2/15/2017 at 5:03 AM, peteski said:

I bought that Auburn kit several years ago and considered building it. But just recently, after again looking over its flaws (mentioned above and also misshapen grille and few more things), I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I went on eBay and found myself a slightly damaged Franklin Mint diecast rendition of that car for a really good price. What a huge difference in appearance. The Franklin Mint model looks so much better!

Peter, bear in mind, Pyro first released that Auburn in 1954 or so, and if you think seriously about it, HOW MANY model car kits introduced in 1954 can you name that were really very accurately done?  Hmm?

Art

31 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

Peter, bear in mind, Pyro first released that Auburn in 1954 or so, and if you think seriously about it, HOW MANY model car kits introduced in 1954 can you name that were really very accurately done?  Hmm?

Art

Sure, Art, what you wrote is absolutely true. I just bought the kit without realizing what the box contained. The box-top photo shows the real car.  I am not trying to build the kit as it would have looked built box-stock in the '50's. I want to build a decent looking and more-accurate replica and I decided that it would take too much work to get the ex-Pyro kit to be presentable.  My plan is to restore the Franklin Mint model. Much less work and better results.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, Art Anderson said:

Eric, for starters  JoHan kitted the '31 Cadillac Fleetwood Town Car, which has canework appliqued to the lower body panels in the rear half of the body.   I'm still trying to figure out the best way to replicate that canework, which as applied over panels painted in the same deep red as the rest of the lower body!

Art

Art,

I built the Jo-Han Fleetwood Town Car years ago and still have it.  I was at a classic car show several years ago and saw the real thing.  As I recall, it had black painted simulated cane work.  It was a painted effect much like the plaid-side Willys Knights.  I think two of these Fleetwoods were made with the caning.  I was shocked that it wasn't real caning.

From what I understand, the canework on the Town Car is just thick paint.  The car the Jo-han model is based on wasn't original, but was a replica of the canework Town Cars made from another open limo.  Aparently, the canework on the replica was applied incorrectly, and the error was repeated on the Jo-han kit.

Three were made, according to the Cadillac Database https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/indx2012.htm, and it looks like one of them was sent to Europe as part of a promotional tour.  It looks like it was black, with no whitewalls.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, Motor City said:

Art,

I built the Jo-Han Fleetwood Town Car years ago and still have it.  I was at a classic car show several years ago and saw the real thing.  As I recall, it had black painted simulated cane work.  It was a painted effect much like the plaid-side Willys Knights.  I think two of these Fleetwoods were made with the caning.  I was shocked that it wasn't real caning.

To have used real caning, the canework (depending on the pattern) would have necessarily been pretty think (look at chair caning sometime--the same material), and would have had lots of high and low areas, which would have made cleaning a nightmare.  In addition, even with a good clear finish applied, sooner or later the canework would have begun to deteriorate.  For these reasons, most "canework" applied to car bodies was done with striping brushes and enamel sign-writing paint--painstakingly, and time-consuming, as each "layer" of "cane paint" had to be allowed to dry, then be covered with a layer of varnish (more drying time, then rubbed out (still more time), then the next layer of "cane painting" was done, and the process repeated.  I had the privilege of seeing a 1931 or 1932 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton in the Behring Museum at Blackhawk Center in Danville CA about 20 yrs ago or so--the basic body color was dark blue, with black accents, the faux canework pattern being in the areas within all the molding highlights.  Very stunning car!

Art

On 3/26/2018 at 3:48 AM, peteski said:

Sure, Art, what you wrote is absolutely true. I just bought the kit without realizing what the box contained. The box-top photo shows the real car.  I am not trying to build the kit as it would have looked built box-stock in the '50's. I want to build a decent looking and more-accurate replica and I decided that it would take too much work to get the ex-Pyro kit to be presentable.  My plan is to restore the Franklin Mint model. Much less work and better results.

I too have the Franklin Mint Auburn Boattail--hate the hideous ivory colored paintjob, with red highlights--one of these days, I'll disassemble it, redo it in some other color.

Art

OK, I'm always happy to confuse things further...

Here's one of the most famous cane work cars, the Isotta-Fraschini Tipo 8A Transformable from the 1950 movie "Sunset Boulevard."  That looks like real cane work in the big photo below, since its flatter than the paint and appears to have highs and lows. 

One story says Paramount Pictures commissioned Coach Craft of Hollywood to "transform a 1927 Isotta-Fraschini with a dull 7-passenger limousine Willoughby body into this exotic Landaulette. Accoutrements include wicker caned tonneau, gold-plated hardware as well as genuine leopard skin upholstery."  OTOH, other sources say it's a 1929, and Billy Wilder, who directed the movie, just said they got the Isotta from a rental company. Coachcraft (one word) was the Hollywood customizing company founded by employees of Dutch Darrin.

In model form, the Heller 1/24 Hispano-Suiza K6 has cane work very similar to the Isotta.  It's done with decals.  One way to replicate real cane work might be with a very thin layer of epoxy putty, then use a 1/35 zimmerit making tool (or a razor saw) to create the patterns.  Getting it consistent would be a real nightmare.

Here's a link to the Coachbuild forum about Isottas.  There's one mention that "the cane work was removed during restoration" on an Isotta.

http://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=625

isotta.JPG