Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks guys for the comments regarding the Impala.

Tommy: I hope you'll find a neat car for yourself. I'm guessing there are quite a lot of American Cars in Norway, too?

Mike: Well, officially it says it's my dad's car, but he told me that I can build it for myself and drive it on the summers. Of course that means that I will buy all of the spare parts etc for it, and that's why I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible to be able to drive with it (And with my Chevy Van) as much as possible when I get my drivers' license. And of course, everything will be done by myself, I can't afford on paying to anyone for work I can do myself, too. I don't care what name is written on the papers, as long as I can build and drive the car so great thanks to Mika for this possibility!!! B)

Ray: Yep there are lots of American Cars in Finland. A good example is Helsinki Cruising Night, which happens on the first Friday of every month (In the summer of course). Each time there are hundreds of American Cars from 1910s to 2010s, Muscle Cars, Original Classics, Hot Rods, Customs etc. And there are many more events where you can see more American Cars than you probably thought. :D

I think this Impala is one of the best looking cars ever made. I'm planning on doing some rust repair and other little fixes. Some cleanup is required, too. I want it to look a bit different, so I thought about changing the front springs from a Big Block car to get the front end a bit higher and new wheels and tires. Gloss black 8" steel wheels to the rear with high profile blackwall tires and Chrome Reverses to the front with whitewalls. Kind of an early '60s Stocker stance.

I drive 5 college tuitions, a wedding reception and a new septic system. When I get done pushing Corvettes off a cliff every year I'm going to keep one. Until then, it's a 2000 Legacy Outback Limited w/173,000K and my trusty '99 Miata showing 134,000K, which is off the road for the winter for "upgrades."

PB.

I drive 5 college tuitions, a wedding reception and a new septic system. When I get done pushing Corvettes off a cliff every year I'm going to keep one. Until then, it's a 2000 Legacy Outback Limited w/173,000K and my trusty '99 Miata showing 134,000K, which is off the road for the winter for "upgrades."

PB.

Ha! I used to say the same thing. I put my two daughters through college, they are four years apart, so it was eight years of paying! I used to say it was like buying a new PT Cruiser every year for cash and scrapping it! In the end it was worth it of course. Both of them have found nice jobs and are supporting themselves! And I still don't have a good car!

Tom, that story hits close to home. 4 year college and 3 year law school. Thankfully I only have one child.

and still saving towards TWO weddings... nobody engaged yet so I have some time :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Car wise, we told ourselves we were getting new (better) cars as soon as we got our NJ house sold... 3 years ago! Grand Caravan is in the shop getting a new transmission at 194,500. That leaves me driving Geo Tracker to work the past two weeks at 245,000 miles. Noisy on the turnpike! We did upgrade my wife to my daughter's hand me down (hand me up?) 1999 Plymouth Breeze with 155,000 on it. That one needs an $800 a/c repair I'm not doing so it needs to be replaced before the spring. We do need one decent car so we don't feel like Gilligan leaving port every time we leave the driveway!

Most every day company car - except vacation days and holidays:

14_stingray3b_zps2119db7d.jpg

Most vacation days and Holidays : 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan

btybase1.jpg

or: 1965 & 1966 Corvair Corsa Hardtops 140 HP

corsa_pair_2_side.jpg

or 1963 Corvair Monza cvt.

P0002120b_zpsd9113734.jpg

or 1963 Corvair Greenbrier van

63greenbrier_leftfront.jpg

And a 1994 Cougar for the nasty salty road off work days - beater with a real HEATER that Corvairs lack.

Edited by vairnut

I bought this last saturday and it's going to be my daily driver since my project car '75 Toyota Corolla is finished. It's Opel Rekord Olympia 1967. Engine is 1,9 liter four cylinder and transmission is 4 on the floor. It needs some fixing like idle is really bad and there's few problems with electrics and need some minor welding but after all it's pretty cool car for daily driver. It's possible that as the price what i paid for it you should get pretty good newer car that is ready to road but somehow I fell in love to that overall look what is pure rock'n roll to me. :D Anyway It's going to be pretty fun daily driver and if it turned out really good and reliable car I think it will be daily driver also after I finish that Corolla but let's see. :) Anyway here's couple pics of that Opel.

c0e136de-35e3-4d67-bb7d-6dc3bf7201fa_zps

9495f091-31a4-4e82-aba7-26fcce4b5968_zps

And here's one pic of my Corolla also. It is waiting for sandblasting now.

Corolla_zps2099a6a7.jpg

2000 GMC SIERRA 2500 4x4

She's got 160,000 miles on 'er, and she's in getting new trans and torque converter now

but,she's all mine :lol::unsure::Dattachicon.gifmytruck.JPG

Now close to 200,ooo..

but,..

new rear end, front rotors,calipers and pads,.....

rockers and cab corners, ball joints,...

Trans mounts,...

Pass. door....rear solid window,...

Will be posting pics on Monday

Yeehah

Owned her for 12 years and just can't let 'er go

Cheers

An interesting aside. I've been at an international conference for work this week. We got into a conversation about cars and I asked our colleague from China what he had... Buick Regal! Of course a locally made car by GM of China, but same car we have here. The Chinese like American cars, which can prove to be a good thing in the future!

I bought this last saturday and it's going to be my daily driver since my project car '75 Toyota Corolla is finished. It's Opel Rekord Olympia 1967. Engine is 1,9 liter four cylinder and transmission is 4 on the floor. It needs some fixing like idle is really bad and there's few problems with electrics and need some minor welding but after all it's pretty cool car for daily driver. It's possible that as the price what i paid for it you should get pretty good newer car that is ready to road but somehow I fell in love to that overall look what is pure rock'n roll to me. :D Anyway It's going to be pretty fun daily driver and if it turned out really good and reliable car I think it will be daily driver also after I finish that Corolla but let's see. :) Anyway here's couple pics of that Opel.

c0e136de-35e3-4d67-bb7d-6dc3bf7201fa_zps

9495f091-31a4-4e82-aba7-26fcce4b5968_zps

My dad had the coupe version, also a 1.9, a beautifull car that was, BTW how's the rust on the fenders just above the headlamps?

An interesting aside. I've been at an international conference for work this week. We got into a conversation about cars and I asked our colleague from China what he had... Buick Regal! Of course a locally made car by GM of China, but same car we have here. The Chinese like American cars, which can prove to be a good thing in the future!

China recently passed the US as the largest car market on the planet, a title the US had held going back to the days of the Model T.

• 4 weeks later...

imagejpg1_zps71a475d7.jpg

My new truck finally showed up. It's so nice to finally drive a brand new truck and not someone's old beater that was abused and smoked in. Even better it's a detroit powered freightliner and not another unreliable cummins powered volvo. Wasn't sure about the tighter gap between the fairings and trailer, but it's surviving Jersey so far. It's no Peterbilt, but then again I'd quit before I'd have to drive a largecar around the metro NYC area.

1997 Dakota Extended Cab SLT bought new with 5.2 (318) with 5 speed stick and 3:55 Sure Grip. Ordered it to my specs and have had it since November of 1996. About to hit 287,000 miles, majority of them are highway miles. Still gets up and goes but with the mileage on it I drive it with care.

Had to replace the original transmission & clutch/pressure plate at 110,000 miles. Still have that clutch in it. Did head gaskets at 149,000 due to head bolts being under torqued from the factory. Also replaced timing chain, oil pump, and water pump at the same time since it was apart. Four front brake jobs, two with new calipers , one was from the rotors being eaten up by the salt when it took a few trips upstate NY. Replaced rear brakes once at 179,000. Still have about 1/3 lining left. New upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends and upper control arm bushings at 245,000 .Original exhaust system. On its 5 set of tires, will need to replace them in about 10 to 15,000 miles. On its third battery 2 years ago.

Also bought new a 2007 Dakota Extended Cab SXT with 3.7 V6 with 6 speed stick and 3:21 rear. Has a little over 62,000 on it since September of 2007. Haven't had to do anything to it except oil/filter changes and replaced the original battery two months ago..

Edited by VW93