Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here’s my 1964 dodge d100. It’s currently a work in progress so I hope it’s ok to post it here. 

It was my great grandpas truck that he bought brand new and was only driven for ten years and had 39,000 original miles unfortunately they let it sit in ever since and the motor is now junk and the interior is tore to apart thanks to mice. 

So now I want to biuld it as a drag race truck so I pulled the original 225 slant six and 3spd manual trans and pulled of the front clip to get ready for a 440 RB blue block and 727 trans from a 1978 Newyorker. I will also use the front suspension and the 8-1/4 rear axle from the newyorker. 

I will hopefully have the motor and rear axle in by the end of next year. 

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions just ask. 

B7544E78-6785-42F7-AA50-082A36DB5069.png

51E69750-E238-47C1-BCD7-77D083BF9817.png

0D6297DE-7BCA-4B19-A485-92413A3CEAB2.png

20AB28FA-BA67-4611-B5B1-B04033D14F49.png

6BB1ACD8-1B71-4ED8-A004-59F8E576F703.png

My daily drive is a 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 litre Turbo Diesel Automatic with Overdrive and Super Select 4 wheel drive.

She's 24 years old and a grey import, having spent the first 8 years of her life in Japan.

This vehicle tows a boat and trailer that is 2 tons fully loaded to Cornwall from Derbyshire which is 350 miles.

The Pajero has the full Winter package for extreme Japanese Winters, which includes two batteries. Only does 26 miles per gallon.

David

100_8848.JPG

35 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

wow, surprised your Pontiac firefly/GEO metro/Suzuki  has survived this long Bill, and in decent shape it appears....them were the '90's "disposable car". unlike the Ronsons of ww2 that always lit, these are like disposable bic lighters, when they did'nt light, you chucked-em...:D

my wife bought a new '91 'fly back in the day. small, cramped (2 big dogs), slow, underpowered (for the mountains in bc anyways..) the econo-ist of the economy cars....but that stupid little thing was dead nuts reliable and cheap. fifteen bucks to fill and could drive to my dad's house 250 miles away on half a tank-$7, yes that is not a typo. put about 300 thousand kms on it then traded it for a dirt bike to my buddy...

:D A friend of mine bought the little bugger new to replace an aging Fiat 124 Spyder that was deteriorating faster than she could afford to pay me to keep it running. We ran the Geo on synthetic oil, and she ran with pretty much zero other maintenance for 160,000 miles, when she burned a valve. I did a clutch at about the same time. Then it was hit and my shop fixed it under insurance. When it got hit again, it was an "economic total" for less than a grand in damage. We fought with the insurer, and retained the salvage. I bought it, did a Q&D repair, replaced the top and rod bearings (which had just gone through to the copper) and when I drove it out West to be an "airport car", it had close to 250,000 miles on the clock. The top's rotten again, as are the tires, and rodents have been lunching on the engine bay wiring. But she'll be back, and most likely still be running the day I die (and I have an early MR2 drivetrain that I think would be pretty cool in the back "seat"). :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

yup, looks just like my old fargo, 426. gotta love the way the hood cracks up to 90 degrees out of the way, and the 2 big seats or tool benches  under the hood that most people called the inner fenders...

and your yorkie is the same as my mom's old '77 that I used to drive as a raging teenager. same engine, 440. used to flip the air cleaner lid over and stand on the throttle- one tire fire for 2 blocks...:D

Yeah the hood opening up like that makes it ease to work on (my hood probably opens around 95 degrees thanks to a wind storm) and the wheel wells are great for sitting on and setting tools on when working on it. On the 2019 ram post you said yours was a 66 Fargo so yours would have had the two headlights, the big tailgate and oblong tail lights where mine has the four headlights, small tailgate and round taillights. What motor did yours have?

On 1/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, 426 pack said:

I will also use the front suspension and the 8-1/4 rear axle from the newyorker. 

I will hopefully have the motor and rear axle in by the end of next year. 

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions just ask. 

Don't even think about using the 8.25" rearend. It will not last long behind a Big Block in a truck that heavy and with steep gears.  You'll want an 8.75" rear or a Dana rear, either or work will hold up far better.

You might also want to look into the NY'er's engine a bit more, too, as it will need a lot of work (read at the machine shop) to make that heavy brick of a truck run quickly. I suggest you poke around over at the www.moparts.com forum if you haven't already, and especially the Truck section. What you want to do can be done, but it's going to cost you $8,000 easy to do it properly and safely.

8 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

yes, you are right, mine had 2 headlights and had a 225 slant 3 OTT like yours

was kind of a really lite brown almost beige color, factory paint. don't have no pics, was over 37 yrs ago. my dad and his buddy were drinking one nite and I managed to talk his buddy into selling it to me for a 100 bucks, a lot of money for a 14 yr old back  then...

actually that New Yorker outweighs the D100, by a good amount. mid '70s 440 yorkie  is right around 5k, the '60's sweptlines are right around the 4k mark, give or take.

I remember reading somewhere here that 426 said he is a teen, 16 yrs old. going to go out on a limb here and say funds are prob tight. while a D60 would be nice, I would use exactly what he has, throw the combo in there and at least get the truck mobile. drive it, have some fun, when the job and money start rolling in- upgrade...

I know I frankensteined some combos together as a teen, mostly due to LOF (lack'o funds) did the usual sb in a vega, a 283 into a Datsun 620, and a ford 390 into a amc hornet. car was all stock, motor was all stock, but was scary fast, in 3 months the doors dropped an inch when you opened them, twisted the car right up...

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Don't even think about using the 8.25" rearend. It will not last long behind a Big Block in a truck that heavy and with steep gears.  You'll want an 8.75" rear or a Dana rear, either or work will hold up far better.

You might also want to look into the NY'er's engine a bit more, too, as it will need a lot of work (read at the machine shop) to make that heavy brick of a truck run quickly. I suggest you poke around over at the www.moparts.com forum if you haven't already, and especially the Truck section. What you want to do can be done, but it's going to cost you $8,000 easy to do it properly and safely.

Dieseldawg you are correct I’m 16 and don’t have a lot of money. 

I bought the newyorker for $200 and that will give me almost all of running gear to at least get it to drive. My dream is to have a 426 hemi with a 4spd and a Dana 60 with 4:10 gears but I will need a lot of money for that so it will probably be a few years till that will happen. 

I got the seat pulled out the other day and here’s a pic of the interior.

16ABB986-E2DC-452E-A303-09E19481873E.png

21 hours ago, Paul Hettick said:

Thanks!, yeah the Impala has original paint, but it is heavily laquer checked. no plans for a repaint i like it the way it is. Heres my 57 Belvedere and 59 Buick. The Belvedere is pretty much unrestored. the Buick has been a long ongoing restoration project.

You have some seriously fine old iron, sir. Very nice.:D

On 1/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, Paul Hettick said:

Thanks!, yeah the Impala has original paint, but it is heavily laquer checked. no plans for a repaint i like it the way it is. Heres my 57 Belvedere and 59 Buick. The Belvedere is pretty much unrestored. the Buick has been a long ongoing restoration project.

IMG_20170328_144205_081.jpg

IMG_20170428_202202_302.jpg

These are stunningly beautiful. 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:45 PM, dieseldawg142 said:

yeah, now there is a sight I haven't seen in awhile. your floor looks reasonably solid under the snow and leafs (?)

is a good dream you got Cale, but mucho expensive, 'specially in Canada...don't sell the 440 short, if you plan on street driving it as well as dragging it, the 440 is waaaay more tractable than a hemi, and can crank just as good. my dad actually had a hemi car, '67 charger, I do remember him cursing it a lot....and the 727 is just as durable as a th400, auto's can be made to shift faster than a human can row the gears too. keep them and wit the money you save, upgrade your axle down the road. i'm assuming you will also do most of the work, so, more money saved for your truck

the 440 in my old challenger could melt the tires at will...

IMG_1653_opt.jpg.644e21f4ddbb11559db1f3da83e0e6f0.jpg

come from a fam of old skool gearheads, especially my dad and my uncle and my bil. my dad was into Chryslers back in the day, prob had 25 or so, chargers, windsors, 300's, newports, dusters...

have some pics of polaroids from the late '70's to the '80's. those were my "golden" times as a kid, had quite a collection of machinery, then.....marriage...... . we had a house fire in the '90's, not a lot comes thru undamaged...:( we lost most of our photo albums (your young, go look up what a photo album is...lol) so I don't have a lot left from then except some great memories in my head...

these are just pics of some photographs I got left

gangly little 16 yr old with my '68 nova (was a big nova fan)................................."inherited" this duster from my dad......................................................cause he was playing around with this at the time

of course like all teens I did not want to be like my parents, so I branched off mopar

my 327 vega and my 'stang,. notice the similar design paint schemes? white with blue stripes, I also had a '70 Camaro painted pretty much the same way, I will try to find the pic

my chevelle and my  (true) SD Beaumont. I had a few other cars as well, a '58 desoto, a '66 fairlane, a '73 torino, 4 asst '68-'74 nova's, a couple japanese cars, 4 street bikes....

then my uncle moved to town...

he had this bitchin' mud racer in the '80's...at which point cars pretty much ceased to exist to me...lol. some of my first trucks, the Glad and f100 are mine, the sub was a few hundred dollar truck I never plated or insured, used it out in the back 40 only, till it ended up on it's roof one night....the wagon was my dad's, he made it into a sleeper, dropped a LTD 460 into it

my old '68 custom cab, my K5 and my K20 behind my dad's Cordoba. this was pretty much the last car he bought for himself too, he's into ford trucks, has a fleet of SD's, his current toy is a '011 diesel crew longbox 4by with a bigger turbo, power programmer, and propane injection. it's a beast, prob around 1500 pounds of torque...my dad's corboba may look mild, but it had a very "special" 360 under the hood. it could and did do 150mph on the highway, as confirmed by the Williams Lake RCMP.....:D

can also throw a '69 K10, '72 jimmy, 3 squarebody's from the '70s and 2 from the '80's in the collection. my wife had 2 real nice chevy steppers 20 yrs ago as well, a '77 K10 and a '81 C10. my current trucks I have had for over 15 yrs and 22 yrs...that marriage thing....

this is my Bil's truck, pro-street LRE. this pic was actually taken very late in the '80's

you can read all about it here.....

http://www.440magnum.com/mopars/2004/october/1979dodgelilredexpress.shtml

Great story,  looks like you had a lot of fun over the years. 

Previous page i posted some pix of my M3 just after i gotten it, now i finished cleaning it here are some more decent pics of it :) and some info about the car:

Its a 2002 E46 M3 coupe, original paint all around still, and ive just clocked it at 107500KM (thats roughly 67000miles i believe) and has been fitted by a HPF stage 3 turbo setup. On low boost the car makes roughly 812hp and on high boost 997hp. Theres plenty of videos on youtube where you see these stage 3 cars eating superbikes and big name (tuned) supercars...

pLGtKD6.jpg

lCyFHUF.jpg

QAMyUoY.jpg