Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

My new rig. Regular bed on ¾ or 1-Ton truck was too tall. Could not tow the trailer anywhere near level.

Having owned a 2017 F350 Platinum, I know what you mean. Not just for trailering, the bed on those trucks is ridiculously high. I'm 6'6" and I had issues with being able to easily reach into the bed to grab stuff. Our trailer was a bumper pull, so that wasn't an issue for us, but for everything else...yikes.

Here's my old 2017.

IMG_20170731_1442558.thumb.jpg.b9a66f41df528fc42c988a19ceca348d.jpg

On 12/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, Ben Brown said:

Old pic, but this is my daily driver, a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. I've since changed out the wheels, among other things.

0mA4HCZ.jpg

Ben

Nice!!!  I had the Phoenix edition NB - same color but a chocolate brown interior.  Really miss it!

The "Family vehicle" is our 2007 FJ Cruiser. A bit over 3 years ago, when she told me "You're either gonna have to get rid of some of these motorcycles, or you're gonna have to sell your car!", I sold all the "street bikes" (ADV's and dual sports, cause I'm a dirty biker, I have knobby tires on every bike :P ), and bought the CRF250L new (that was my 1991 XR250L too), then a year later bought the 1 previous owner, 1,132 mile old CB500X for longer trips (like making 2,400 mile round trips to visit our oldest daughter half way across the country, but with a couple additions still being able to explore some dirt--I still own and ride this bike every day, including some moderate trails and lots of dirt "roads") and have been a year round full time rider since here in eastern Tennessee :) 

FWIW, I know it looks like it, LOL, but I'm not a Honda fanboy, it just worked out that way the last few years :P

10649606_10202783579692312_1416837815179108410_n.jpg

3.JPG

IMG_0307_(2).JPG

27 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Still driving the 2006 PT Cruiser I bought new back then 

Very cool Geoff!  When I was in England back in 2010 just about every American vehicle I saw was a Chrysler / Jeep product!  

And a story... Peter Thomas, of South African NNL fame, ordered the very first PT Cruiser to be sold in South Africa. Peter was in the US on business and we made arrangements to meet.  I picked him up in New York City and brought him to my suburban New Jersey home for the day.   The PT was just arriving in the USA at the time and Peter had ordered his without seeing one in person!  He was anxious to see one!  

I called my local Chrysler dealer, and explained what we would like to do.  They said they had their very first PT coming in on Friday.  They could surely show us the car on Saturday,  and to ask for a specific person.   It turned out to be a rainy Saturday so we didn't know what to expect.  Upon arrival at the dealer we were greeted and brought to the service department (which is closed on Saturday).  In the middle of the open floor was a silver PT Cruiser.  Peter was delighted!  He had a silver car coming. The dealer and it's employees gave him first class treatment.  I've always thought kindly of that dealer ever since!

image.png.5d001cc7f9fc5a9a368f6f7778aff12e.png

and here's my PT Cruiser GT Turbo convertible!   Photo was from when I bought it about 3 years ago.

Edited by Tom Geiger

My current daily gas-hog. 305 / 5-speed. She had two cracked heads from being driven with no water by an idiot. I saved her from the crusher for $100, kinda went through the top end, and she's now pushing 300,000 miles. Slated to get a new engine shortly, back-dated to V-belts. For some reason, she's among my absolute all-time favorite vehicles. My "nice" truck, a '92 Silverado in the background, is also getting a new engine shortly (after a lifter exploded, jammed in its bore, and cracked a chunk out of the block at 250,000 miles).

DSCN0214.thumb.JPG.d104a82b11991a35ee1de9954f296e52.JPG

On 12/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

My current daily gas-hog. 305 / 5-speed. She had two cracked heads from being driven with no water by an idiot. I saved her from the crusher for $100, kinda went through the top end, and she's now pushing 300,000 miles. Slated to get a new engine shortly, back-dated to V-belts. For some reason, she's among my absolute all-time favorite vehicles. My "nice" truck, a '92 Silverado in the background, is also getting a new engine shortly (after a lifter exploded, jammed in its bore, and cracked a chunk out of the block at 250,000 miles).

Still my fav truck body of all time. My wife was driving a 91 when I met her, and I had a 97 a couple of years ago to be a dump hauler for some yard/house reno projects. 

And WILL be buying another at some point.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Still my fav truck body of all time. My wife was driving a 91 when I met her, and I had a 97 a couple of years ago to be a dump hauler for some yard/house reno projects. 

And WILL be buying another at some point.

I really like the styling too. I think it was done during one of GM's styling high-points, as there are a few other GM vehicles from the period that I think stand out.

The ride and handling of them always impressed me, for what they were, and more than one non-truck-savvy woman has remarked "gee...this doesn't ride like a truck at all".

Close to the end of the time in the US when trucks were still primarily trucks, and not fashion statements. The clean design looks good dressed up and tricked out, and they're big enough to function as a "full size" pickup.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:44 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

DSCN0214.thumb.JPG.d104a82b11991a35ee1de9954f296e52.JPG

That’s a nice looking truck Bill.  Have you been moving in it?

20 hours ago, slusher said:

That’s a nice looking truck Bill.  Have you been moving in it?

Thanks Carl. Yes and no. I have parts and tools and cars spread all over town, so I've been using her to get everything consolidated at a central location for loading a big truck, and getting a transporter pickup arranged for the cars. The old GMC will probably be the last vehicle I'll move, and drive her out West with a light trailer in tow.