Model Cars Magazine Forum

5 hours ago, George from Hamburg said:

In europe we have the sedan and the station wagon

I didn't think Europe got the sedan (with a trunk/boot), just the hatch and wagon.

Funny thing, when I insured my 2014 Focus SE hatchback, the insurance company listed it as a wagon.  Nice car but the transmission (powershift dual clutch) was trash.

11 hours ago, sfhess said:

Funny thing, when I insured my 2014 Focus SE hatchback, the insurance company listed it as a wagon.  Nice car but the transmission (powershift dual clutch) was trash.

We had a '14, now have an '18. The '14 started shuddering on takeoff. The dealer did a firmware update and installed the latest clutchpack and it was fine. The repair order said that they replaced the seals, but I suspect that was something they billed Ford for and didn't actually do. It was typically the earlier models that leaked. The '14 should have had the updated seals already.

11 hours ago, Rodent said:

We had a '14, now have an '18. The '14 started shuddering on takeoff. The dealer did a firmware update and installed the latest clutchpack and it was fine. The repair order said that they replaced the seals, but I suspect that was something they billed Ford for and didn't actually do. It was typically the earlier models that leaked. The '14 should have had the updated seals already.

My 14 SE would shudder intermittently.  Dealer wouldn't do anything about it due to backlog of other cars with worse problems.  I was always frustrated with the car's hesitancy to downshift and accelerate from low speeds, the one day it would not accelerate above 40 MPG when I needed to pass another car.  It was scary sometimes.  At the time my commute was about 50 miles each way, mostly on mountain roads.  The handling was wonderful and it was fun to drive generally but it had to go.  Happy you have had good luck with yours.

6 hours ago, sfhess said:

My 14 SE would shudder intermittently.  Dealer wouldn't do anything about it due to backlog of other cars with worse problems.  I was always frustrated with the car's hesitancy to downshift and accelerate from low speeds, the one day it would not accelerate above 40 MPG when I needed to pass another car.  It was scary sometimes.  At the time my commute was about 50 miles each way, mostly on mountain roads.  The handling was wonderful and it was fun to drive generally but it had to go.  Happy you have had good luck with yours.

You guys make me glad I bought my '13 Focus with a manual.

On 8/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, lordairgtar said:

Yes, for the sister publication Car Modelling. I dont give lessons tho.

LOL.  I have been in or close to commercial art since 1984,  Not even interested in taking up any more forms of art.  But thanks for the work you did.   I remember them, that's something, right?   You'll live on in infamy with me at least.

3 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

You guys make me glad I bought my '13 Focus with a manual.

Both of our Focii have been Titaniums. Manual Titaniums are about as common as chicken lips. They started offering them part way through 2012. They were available in theory in 2013, 2014, and part of 2015. Dealers didn't order very many of them, and the ones who did order them around here only ordered the ugliest colors and didn't order them with nav, sunroof, or the handling package.

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

Both of our Focii have been Titaniums. Manual Titaniums are about as common as chicken lips. They started offering them part way through 2012. They were available in theory in 2013, 2014, and part of 2015. Dealers didn't order very many of them, and the ones who did order them around here only ordered the ugliest colors and didn't order them with nav, sunroof, or the handling package.

Now you make me glad I only wanted an SE.? I didn't have too much trouble finding one in manual. My color choices were the Metallic Red or the Metallic Blue. I went with blue.

1 hour ago, Kit Basher said:

Now you make me glad I only wanted an SE.? I didn't have too much trouble finding one in manual. My color choices were the Metallic Red or the Metallic Blue. I went with blue.

Blue Candy? I like that one a lot. The 2014 was Performance Blue with black leather. A little darker, but we didn't have much choice. Had the "Titanium Handling Package" with 18x8 wheels and 235/40-18 Michelin summer tires. Was a hoot in the twisties for just a fancy econobox. That package went away in 2016 or 2017 unfortunately. I miss it in the 2018.

Looked like this one:

image.png.e9028eb4c4c27705939002a28309bfee.png

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Blue Candy? I like that one a lot. The 2014 was Performance Blue with black leather. A little darker, but we didn't have much choice. Had the "Titanium Handling Package" with 18x8 wheels and 235/40-18 Michelin summer tires. Was a hoot in the twisties for just a fancy econobox. That package went away in 2016 or 2017 unfortunately. I miss it in the 2018.

Looked like this one:

image.png.e9028eb4c4c27705939002a28309bfee.png

I like that Performance Blue. Really a rich color. Here's my '13, still got it.

Focus 001 (2).jpg

Edited by Kit Basher

My 2014 SE was white with gray and black seats.  It had the Sport Appearance Package.

I always thought the best color on these was Frosted Glass, which was available in 2012.  I remember seeing one this color, with a tan interior, in a dealership.  

I replaced the Focus with a 2016 Fusion SE.  Color was Guard, which is a dark green with the Dune (Tan) interior.  Cloth seats were difficult to keep clean, but I didn't want a black interior.

17 minutes ago, sfhess said:

My 2014 SE was white with gray and black seats.  It had the Sport Appearance Package.

I always thought the best color on these was Frosted Glass, which was available in 2012.  I remember seeing one this color, with a tan interior, in a dealership.  

I replaced the Focus with a 2016 Fusion SE.  Color was Guard, which is a dark green with the Dune (Tan) interior.  Cloth seats were difficult to keep clean, but I didn't want a black interior.

In the true Ford tradition, I could have gotten any interior color I wanted, as long as it was black.

6 hours ago, RSchnell said:

. Enjoyed the car immensely- except for the dual clutch automatic. What a schizophrenic thing that was.  

I read that about the Hyundai Kona as well.   Also when motorcycles came out with DCTs, they were a handful at slow speeds.  

I rented a Focus for a business drive from PA/NJ to Syracuse NY.  (Company preferred I rented a car rather than pay me mileage) It bogged in the many hills at Throughway speeds. Not a pleasant trip.

Later trips I wound up driving Hyundai Elantras. Pleasant to drive and peppy.  Enough that I bought myself one!

My sister has an 05 plate focus. It has to be one of the worst cars she has owned even though its the newest. If its raining water seeps into the engine through the no1 spark plug and its runs terribly, so I've done a temp fix for that using some old number plates to make the water drip down elsewhere but puddles still make it conk out. Shes lucky to get 2000 miles out of a set of tyres and I've had the alignment checked loads. The door handles inside and out on the passenger front door dont like being attached to the mechanism so I've taken the door card out so she can use the door. On the plus side it a good car to take stuff to the dump with, and the seats are pretty decent

Hi, we just got rid of our Focus. It is a 2000 ZX3 hatchback. It got to where it was in the shop every 3 weeks. It had 160K miles on it.

We had to put in a second engine when it quit. Many recalls.

We got a 2000 Infiniti with 140K on it. It is a Q30t. The older man who had it passed away and the garage that worked on it had it for sale

We got it for $2400 and 3 oi changes. The original owner treated like a baby. Interior is really clean. No rips in seats,cracks in dash and everything works like new.

The exterior had a 1 inch scratch in hood which I took care of. There are a few scratches on rear bumper and other than that,body is cherry,no dings,scratches oxidation !!

We have had it about 2 months and still finding options,like automatic seat positioning,etc...

with a dual overhead cam V6 it is very fast. It has 3 coils on it and you don't need to change plugs but every 100K miles.

Rides and drives GREAT !!

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

2 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

Hi, we just got rid of our Focus. It is a 2000 ZX3 hatchback. It got to where it was in the shop every 3 weeks. It had 160K miles on it.

We had to put in a second engine when it quit. Many recalls.

We got a 2000 Infiniti with 140K on it. It is a Q30t. The older man who had it passed away and the garage that worked on it had it for sale

We got it for $2400 and 3 oi changes. The original owner treated like a baby. Interior is really clean. No rips in seats,cracks in dash and everything works like new.

The exterior had a 1 inch scratch in hood which I took care of. There are a few scratches on rear bumper and other than that,body is cherry,no dings,scratches oxidation !!

We have had it about 2 months and still finding options,like automatic seat positioning,etc...

with a dual overhead cam V6 it is very fast. It has 3 coils on it and you don't need to change plugs but every 100K miles.

Rides and drives GREAT !!

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

Care for it in the same manor as the original owner and it should last a very long time, and it's not hard to look at either. 

I've had a number of cars. Let's start with my first...

1964 Dodge Dart, slany 6, push button automatic. Was given to me by my grandparents for me to use to drive to college. Lasted a couple moths when a piece of the frame rusted out and fell out on the highway. 

1975 Chevy Monza. Lasted about a 1 1/2 years. Drove that thing to the ground

So that winter I get the next car:

1978 Sunbird. That car was a beats in the winter.

1978 Chevy Monte Carlo the original 305 engine blew out on me. Had a 350 put in. had it for about 2-3 years.

1980 Mercury Topaz

1990 Chevy Eurosport - I loved that car.

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Had that truck for a short time. With a baby on the way, a truck wasn't feasible. Traded that for the next car...

2003 Toyota Matrix. I absolutely LOVED that car!! Fun to drive yet sporty. Until the missus got in an accident with it. Totaled it.

I took the missus's 2000 Toyota Corolla while we got the 2010 Ford Fusion.

Traded in the Corolla and got the 2013 Ford Escape, my current vehicle.

I have driven all 3 generations of the Focus that have been available here., all automatic  transmission equipped. My favorite was the 2nd, 2008-2011.  I do not like the 2012 -2018 hatchback at all, the 2 previous generations I drove  were sedans. I have not driven the 3rd gen sedan. I found the 3rd gen hatchback cramped  and poor rear and side visibility.  I do on all 3 generations  like the seat height. Easy for me to get in and out of. No love for the 2012 and later automatic manual transmission.  Very quirky and not smooth shifting at all. I ended up buying a 07 SES ZX4 with 129,000 on it just before Christmas  last year and have been very happy with it. Not as much power as later versions but its peppy enough.  4 speed automatic with lock up torque converter,  I'm getting in the low 30s with it most the time. Handles very nice. I'm very impressed with the factory stereo. It's not the premium system but with 4 6x8 speakers its sufficient. 

20200118.jpg

I had a 2003 "Centennial" edition Focus 4-door.  Black with a tan leather interior. 2.3 with automatic.  It was a fun car to drive.  Even my wife thought so.  I still have the box of centennial swag Ford mailed me after I purchased the car.

22 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I've had a number of cars. Let's start with my first...

1964 Dodge Dart, slany 6, push button automatic. Was given to me by my grandparents for me to use to drive to college. Lasted a couple moths when a piece of the frame rusted out and fell out on the highway. 

1975 Chevy Monza. Lasted about a 1 1/2 years. Drove that thing to the ground

So that winter I get the next car:

1978 Sunbird. That car was a beats in the winter.

1978 Chevy Monte Carlo the original 305 engine blew out on me. Had a 350 put in. had it for about 2-3 years.

1980 Mercury Topaz

1990 Chevy Eurosport - I loved that car.

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Had that truck for a short time. With a baby on the way, a truck wasn't feasible. Traded that for the next car...

2003 Toyota Matrix. I absolutely LOVED that car!! Fun to drive yet sporty. Until the missus got in an accident with it. Totaled it.

I took the missus's 2000 Toyota Corolla while we got the 2010 Ford Fusion.

Traded in the Corolla and got the 2013 Ford Escape, my current vehicle.

How did you manage to find a 1980 Topaz?

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

My mistake. I meant to type in 1984 Mercury Topaz

Friends of ours had a Topaz of that era. They were (and still are) very impulse and easily sold. A local dealer had a sales event going on at the mall and they bought the car. No test drive, nothing!

That Saturday morning they went to pick it up and I got the phone call.. could I come and drive their new car home? They had no idea that they bought a car with a clutch! And of course neither of them could drive it!

It became a very frustrating day for me. I had to teach them to drive this car.. the wife was catching on but the husband wasn’t.. which led to tempers and...