Model Cars Magazine Forum

Geez, what was that poor thing put through before you got it?

i dont know, but it was pretty bad. Its a two stroke and apparently there was alot that the guy didnt know, such as carb jetting, and that you have to up the jets for modifications adn that wasnt done so it was running lean which in turn allowed it to over heat. plus the bore was out of spec for the piston that was in it.

I could not resist on buying this today:

8972d1291005628-1987-chevy-truck-question-104_4141.jpg

1987 Silverado shortbed, 350 throttle injected, PW, PDL,Tilt wheel, Cruise, Factory A/C, Dual tanks and thank god it still has the factory split dual exhaust as I hate the after market exhausts added to these trucks. It's a one owner factory stock original it was bought brand new at Friendly Chevrolet here in Dallas.

It has 29,754.8 miles on the odometer. The guy wanted 10,950 but I talked him down to 10,500, she is a beauty and was going to make her a daily driver but as I figured with these trucks being highly sought after for theft I just decided to leave her in the garage and stick with driving my 2001 Cavalier.

Edited by MyJoeyLogano20

Thats a great looking truck you bought , heck I think you would be better off driving that as your daily driver over the cavailer, cavailers dont hold well when driven daily :lol: , least mine didn't , what POS it was :huh:

Thanks, Jonathan.

I guess I've been blessed and lucky with my Cavalier I bought it brand new in 2001 and only thing I have replaced is the alternator and battery everything else is still what's on it when it left the factory. It just rolled over 103,000 miles the other day and it still looks inside and out, runs like it was the day I bought.

I have also kept it serviced every 3,000 miles. I intend and plan on doing this truck the same way.

Where would be a good place to buy a cover for my truck?

A 25 year old truck with 30K on the odometer??? You sure that isn't really 300,000?

Nope, I thought same thing to Harry when I looked at it. But I did test drive it and took it to my local mechanic and he checked it out and said that it was all original and the mileage was correct. I have the owners manual in the truck and everything seems to add up as far as time wise.

Edited by MyJoeyLogano20

at 15 i dont have a car, but id do have a toy :D The story on it is i bought it after saving all my money for 3 years for it(birthdays, mowing lawns, helping ut with odd things here and there, etc.) I saved over 800 dollars. i bought it or 600 and thought i had some extra money to buy the parts for it that it needed, wrong!!! A week after buying it it blew up and here is some carnage GOPR0312.jpg

2012-04-10180321.jpg

2012-04-16235938.jpg

2012-04-21175209.jpg

So i bought the rebuild kit for the motor($200) that included: piston, gasket kit, bore & hone, bearings, wrist pin, and circlips, butt it didnt stop there. I had to save for another 6 months to get everything else i needed. After 6 months i had saved anotther 200 dollars and bought alot moe stuff to complete it. So the story goes that i ended up redoing the whole thing, by myself with no help fom anyone else, but a forum for some of my troubleshooting problems. So here is the before when i bought it:

2012-02-07151448.jpg

and here is now after the COMPLETE rebuild:

2012-06-07112607.jpg

and it still needs a new seat cover. So now since this thing is mostly done my money will go back to modeling if i can eventually find them odd jobs here and there again.

Heres a video of it. [media=]

P.S. Sorry about the long post

Mine was worse than that. It looked like it was put through hell and back many times.

i dont know, but it was pretty bad. Its a two stroke and apparently there was alot that the guy didnt know, such as carb jetting, and that you have to up the jets for modifications adn that wasnt done so it was running lean which in turn allowed it to over heat. plus the bore was out of spec for the piston that was in it.

Are those cylinders the tapered bore pinch type like the non ringed radio control ones are? I've seen several ofcthose that were so far gone that the piston went all the way through the sleeve......also seen a couple there the rod split at the little end and punched through the top of the piston and another there the truck was run in sand without any kind of filter, there was glass imbeded in the top of the piston and that and the sleeve looked like your's!

• 1 month later...

'04 Mazda 6i with a custom exhaust, cold air intake, eibach lowering springs, and some other bits added and removed.

'99 Ford F-150 4x4 that I bought from my dad a few months before he passed away, it's sitting right now until I get off my butt and fix the leaking rear diff.

Well the Mazda3 went bye bye. Great little Sports car, Very Quick, Nimble and Low.

Too low for me, Dragged getting in and out of the drive-way, A/C sucked, No back seat room for Passengers and

Lot's of Blind spots. If I was 6"inches shorter, probably would have been a Great car for me.

So I picked up what I had before but with a Auto.

Picked up a 2012 Scion xD.

Already got the windows tinted, Remote start, TRD Exhaust installed and Receiver hitch for my bike rack.

Same color as the old one too.. :lol:

430312_4108094472296_1736785650_n.jpg

Now just looking for a tire and wheel combo and will drop it a bit.. ;):D

Lol, the whole ground clearance thing is one thing I fear now that I'm D.D.ing a car again instead of my Jeep, there's one lot in Geneva that I have to leave the lot one wheel at a time out of fear for scraping..........that's the same drive that if I leave it a wee bit too "fast" in the Jeep with worn front shocks, it hits the front bump stops :(

Our roads are terrible here, and Ive never worried about scraping. If you slow down and go around potholes/manholes, etc. its not a problem. I avoid speedbumps at all cost though. Ive driven airbagged Caddys, s10s, lowered (static dropped) cadillacs and currently have an '11 Camaro that is lowered. just gott drive really vigilante.

We've got a few cars our family car and the wife's daily driver is a 2004 VY Holden Commodore wagon, my daily driver is a 1981 WB Holden panel van and we've also got a 1972 HQ Holden van in the shed. We're a Holden family through and through. :)

My daily driver. (My WB van).

IMG_5642edited.jpg

One of our other vans, Checkmate.

big.jpg

Edited by checkmate