Model Cars Magazine Forum

After twelve years and 152,000+ miles, I finally said goodbye to my beloved Lincoln Town Car. Quite sad really, the Town Car and my beloved beagle "Shorty" were the two remaining items from my last life in St Louis. Shorty passed 4/20/17 and today I traded the Lincoln. I will say that big azzed boat was the best car I ever owned. Not only that but the current MrsG and I were married in the car at The Little White Wedding Chapel in '09.

In my opinion Ford really screwed the pooch when it discontinued the Panther platform and built the new Continental on the  MKZ.

In what some would consider a radical change, I purchased a new Nissan Altima 3.5SL. She's a lil' red rocket ship and after 8 hours of ownership, I can say I'm becoming quite fond of her. 

I'll post photos tomorrow. 

I have owned this for a while, but I was finally able to bring it home from the dealership last week. 2015 BMW R1200RT. While I had to sell a few toys to purchase this bike, it's a completely different ride from my old Beemer. I'm glad it has cruise control, or else I could see many tickets in my future...;)

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Had this for a night while my 200 was getting a little recall work done.

20170915_175727.jpg

20170915_181314.jpg

Drove ok and was way quicker than I ever expected a 4500lbs van to be.......well, at least compared to all the vans I've driven over the years!

Got a laugh out of the infographic for when you turn the Traction Control on and off too.

20170915_104532.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

Seriously thinking about adding one of these to the stable. The '92 Silverado will probably be going to a new home as soon as I finish her engine (I really don't need 2 trucks, and I love the '89 GMC with the manual gearbox...so she'll be staying, and getting a limited slip diff), and I DO need a long-distance cruiser I can sleep in if necessary. I found an 85,000 mile one-owner that's like new, and reasonably priced. Only real downside is that the electronics are getting pretty long in the tooth, and will probably become unreliable in not too long. But in two more years, she'll be old enough to retrofit with old-school stuff that will work forever anyway.

Image result for 1994 Chevrolet Caprice wagon

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

New daily driver (only the fourth since 1979!): 2018 Toyota C-HR.  I had planned on keeping the second Dakota a couple more years, and had fixed a few minor annoyances recently.  But the brake lines started getting punky (when the brake lines start going, the fuel lines soon follow), the three-year-old water pump is leaking, and the A/C was making noise and wasn't blowing as cold as it ought to.  I was figuring on doing a brake job before the next inspection, probably need shocks too, and after all that there are the original ball joints and steering rack, not to mention the transmission.  I should have noticed the thinning ranks of similar Dakotas on the streets around here...even the 2005-08 model is becoming a vanishing breed.  Time for a change.  Insurance on the new car is only about $ 75 per year more than for a fourteen-year-old truck, for similar coverage.  I miss the manual transmission, but there's a bunch of other stuff to keep tabs on while driving.  I didn't check until after I brought it home, but there's no kit available yet...only a couple of 1/43 scale assembled models.  

IM003754-2.jpg

Nothing current, Little Sister found some pictures of cars our parents owned while digging for pictures to use for their 50th wedding anniversary this weekend. Including the '70 Charger R/T they bought new, the '76 Dodge pickups Dad (the black one with the white topper) and Grandma and Grampa bought new around the time I was born, our  '78 Chevy Beauville Van on Daytona Beach was well as in our driveway here in West Chicago and me in my "first car" not long after we moved back here from Iowa (well for them it was back here, anyway).

20171009_233411.thumb.jpg.7944945608fb05

20171009_233555-1.jpg

20171009_233339.jpg

20171007_151629.jpg

Seriously thinking about adding one of these to the stable. The '92 Silverado will probably be going to a new home as soon as I finish her engine (I really don't need 2 trucks, and I love the '89 GMC with the manual gearbox...so she'll be staying, and getting a limited slip diff), and I DO need a long-distance cruiser I can sleep in if necessary. I found an 85,000 mile one-owner that's like new, and reasonably priced. Only real downside is that the electronics are getting pretty long in the tooth, and will probably become unreliable in not too long. But in two more years, she'll be old enough to retrofit with old-school stuff that will work forever anyway.

Image result for 1994 Chevrolet Caprice wagon

I LOVE these old wagons. I almost picked up a Roadmaster wagon from a friend this summer. Before I remembered that if I brought home another wagon, wifey would make me live in it.

About a month ago. We bought the wife our 1st new car in over 10 years. 

A dealer demo 2016 Chrysler 200S .  Paid right at half what the original new car sticker price was.

Its fun to drive, rides REALLY nice and extremely quite . And  even with the 2.4 and 9 speed auto it has plenty of pickup for us both ( it has the paddle shifters but I haven't used them yet )

I even get to drive it on a regular basis .

https://pictures.dealer.com/e/elgincdjramcllc/1960/c2bc69ac87f492a85ee548307b5def33x.jpg?imwidth=640

Well, seeing as how my new 2018 Power Wagon is indefinitely delayed for some reason, I needed something to drive.

Enter the Tacoma.

2017 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad in Magnetic Grey. Picked it up yesterday, only has 46km on it so far. My only complaint is that the steering wheel could do with a little more adjustment. My 6'6" frame is surprisingly comfortable in there, but a couple of extrainches in reach would be great. TO be 100% comfortable, I'd like the steering wheel an inch or so closer to me. Also, the satellite radio is XM, so that means that even though Sirius and XM have merged, I don't get my daily fix of Howard Stern. I know, first world problems.

Fuel economy will be disappointing, I can already tell. Big V6, with only the old 5-speed transmission. I'm not expecting fuel economy to be any better than the half tons I've drivien over the past few years.

But, the stereo is great, the bluetooth streaming is super easy to use, the heated seats get hot really fast, and it's comfy, so for now I'm happy. :)

IMG_20171012_1817597.thumb.jpg.6ff113c9a

IMG_20171012_1818105.thumb.jpg.3b7a74a92

Don, thanks. I love it, and thank goodness weather has been decent enough around here to drive it. hope i get another week out of it before it has to go to bed for the winter, lol.

Come on down here to AL. I have barely seen winter since I left Chittenango.