Model Cars Magazine Forum

14 hours ago, DonW said:

Thanks for the photo, Hermann

It was a good era for cars in Germany.

Proper cars. My daily drive, family wagon and utility truck is a BMW 530i touring, with a 4-cam V8 and 400,000 kilometres on the clock. 

Cheers,

-Don.

Hi Don, Thank you for liking this picture.

Nice car you have, also thanks for sharing it.?

I know a cargo bulk liquid surveyor who sometimes comes to our company and drives a BMW E-30 touring, also for business because he does not want a lease car from his company.
This 6 cylinder petrol car has now driven 550,000 km and still on the run as a work / private car.
So, with good service and maintenance, these cars can do it.

And from the point of view of environment today, we are the most environmentally friendly car users.:lol:

6 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Where was the photo taken?  Looks like Northern Italy.  Also 400,000 km and its not a diesel.  Impressive.

Yes Steve, this picture was taken on my vacation in Italy, to be precise, the Como lake in Northern Italy.

For the 400.000km, this car is still equiped with the first engine and automatic transmision, no overhaulings but good service and maintenance every year.

These cars were built on durability, large engine, not too many horsepower for reliability, 190HP with a top speed of 228 km/hr that this car today still achieves without any struggles or vibrations.

For the interested, here a nice link with the engineers from that time, who talk today about this model when it was designed and manufactured.

The S-Class and Its Engineers: from W126 to W221

And another picture from the same spot, it was a beautiful place with a nice background.B)

1055381161_Mercedes2c.jpg.87a80346d492e4a0461bdd68d6646df7.jpg

Hermann.

Hi, Hermann. great location (I visited Como on vacation in 2004, loved the area and nearby Lake Maggiore and Stresa).   In Arizona in the 00s-10s, my sister had an '84 500SEL with over 200k miles..I drove it quite a bit when I lived in AZ.   I love that generation of Mercedes.

mercslc1-vi-2.jpg

I think I'm on my third car in this thread.   FEw weeks ago, I got this one almost on a lark.  Was looking for a larger CUV like my Ford Edge that my son is taking on.   THat thing was pretty practical.  Would hold a full size stove in the back.   And I put a 4' round dinging table in there and it laid flat.  But II've always like the idea of smaller cars.  So on a lark I sat in one of these in the showroom and was hooked.   2020 Hyundai Kona SEL Plus.  The non turbo version.  I only need a car to commute and run errands.  For long trips we have a 2020 Santa Fe that has everything.  My wife has christened this "Zippy" because it zips around so well.  Fun to bomb the backroads in.   It's fairly sporty to be considered a CUV.   But they have to market it as such to sell to the masses?  Idk.  Fun little car that is perfect for what I needed it for - right tool for the job.  And the reviews are correct - it is a great vehicle.  

Photo is identical to mine but is not mine.

image.jpeg.321b376a4010f215b8afacdac483bd6e.jpeg

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Congrats on the new ride. A couple months ago my wife wanted a small SUV type vehicle but she chose the Kia Soul. Pretty cool little ride.

Those are pretty nice if you like em.  I can't quite reconcile myself to the design.  A little too square for me.  But they seem to be pretty practical so there is that.  

Sold my 2000 Special Edition Miata due to back problems. We bought a 2020 Honda Insight Touring Hybrid in February. Pearl Black finish with leather interior. Averaging about 52 mpg so far. Smoothest, quietest ride I've ever driven. It's closer to a computer on wheels than a car.

20200215_141008.jpg

20200215_141107a.jpg

I just got an older car for doing cruise nights. It's an 80 Cadillac Seville. Base model but with two tone bronze metallic over beige. Thing is with the base models, they were mostly single color. The dealer upon receiving it off the truck painted the bottom half beige to improve it's looks.  Not a fan of beige myself but this really looks nice. Light tan leather/vinyl interior. Wire wheel covers. No vinyl top. Cadillac Climate Control which works but I will have to recharge and retrofit the AC. I put new white walls on it. Things I have to do on it are replacing the gas struts for the hood and trunk, bumper fillers and tail lamp panel. The original rubber ones have broken up and are secreting some kind of odd sweat. I ordered the new ones and they will be made of fiberglas. Comes with a AM/FM/CB/8 Track radio that still works. It is a diesel powered car but that engine was replaced with a later Goodwrench diesel and new transmission at 30000 miles. The history of the vehicle...original owner purchased this for his wife while he bought himself a Sedan DeVille. This man was the owner of the company I work for. He passed away some years ago and his wife rarely drove it. The son (my current boss) bought the car and used it sparingly and it resided in his collection of cars. I was looking for a car to play with and mentioned I had X amount to spend on a collector car. This Cadillac was mentioned and I looked at it. Loved it and I bought it. Could use a good detailing in the inside but is still pretty nice. I want this to remain stock with some unseen mods. Basically the AC being redone with 134a refrigerant, the radio to be boosted in wattage and the old speakers replaced with newer versions that will handle the extra watts...nothing too radical...think of a factory sound system on a modern Cadillac but sight unseen. Also want to make a removable center console finished to match the interior colors to hold drinks and other oddments people carry in their car. Also might consider the Redi-Rad so I can add a portable CD player or a phone to play music. This car has less than 70000 miles on it and rides like a dream.

1980-cadillac-seville-base-sedan-4-door-1.JPG

Edited by lordairgtar
Adding pic

8 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I just got an older car for doing cruise nights. It's an 80 Cadillac Seville. Base model but with two tone bronze metallic over beige. Thing is with the base models, they were mostly single color. The dealer upon receiving it off the truck painted the bottom half beige to improve it's looks.  Not a fan of beige myself but this really looks nice. Light tan leather/vinyl interior. Wire wheel covers. No vinyl top. Cadillac Climate Control which works but I will have to recharge and retrofit the AC. I put new white walls on it. Things I have to do on it are replacing the gas struts for the hood and trunk, bumper fillers and tail lamp panel. The original rubber ones have broken up and are secreting some kind of odd sweat. I ordered the new ones and they will be made of fiberglas. Comes with a AM/FM/CB/8 Track radio that still works. It is a diesel powered car but that engine was replaced with a later Goodwrench diesel and new transmission at 30000 miles. The history of the vehicle...original owner purchased this for his wife while he bought himself a Sedan DeVille. This man was the owner of the company I work for. He passed away some years ago and his wife rarely drove it. The son (my current boss) bought the car and used it sparingly and it resided in his collection of cars. I was looking for a car to play with and mentioned I had X amount to spend on a collector car. This Cadillac was mentioned and I looked at it. Loved it and I bought it. Could use a good detailing in the inside but is still pretty nice. I want this to remain stock with some unseen mods. Basically the AC being redone with 134a refrigerant, the radio to be boosted in wattage and the old speakers replaced with newer versions that will handle the extra watts...nothing too radical...think of a factory sound system on a modern Cadillac but sight unseen. Also want to make a removable center console finished to match the interior colors to hold drinks and other oddments people carry in their car. Also might consider the Redi-Rad so I can add a portable CD player or a phone to play music. This car has less than 70000 miles on it and rides like a dream.

Elegant!  Classy!  I like it.  Cool enough.   Are you the Gregg Kluck that used to draw a cartoon for SAE?  Airgtar?  Do you give lessons?  

On 8/7/2020 at 8:34 AM, randyc said:

Elegant!  Classy!  I like it.  Cool enough.   Are you the Gregg Kluck that used to draw a cartoon for SAE?  Airgtar?  Do you give lessons?  

Yes, for the sister publication Car Modeler, I don't give lessons tho.

Edited by lordairgtar
Wrong magazine title