Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Roadster: Bare Necessities

Dennis Lacy

1929 FORD ROADSTER: BARE NECESSITIES

IMG_7324.jpg

This roadster is inspired by a 1:1 version that is very similar save for finished paint and flathead V8 vs. Dodge Hemi. However, the concept is the same: A hot rod roadster in every sense of the word with an absolute bare minimum of components. A body, seats, 4 wheels and an engine.

Chassis: AMT ‘29 frame Z’d at rear with custom tubular reverse k-member. Ala-Kart front suspension modified to traditional leaf spring and lever shocks. AMT ‘25 T quick change rear axle with flattened ‘29 spring, custom drilled trailing arms and tubular shocks on custom mounts. Ala Kart wheels and tires, whitewalls painted black and turned inside, wheels stripped and painted, AMT ‘53 Ford Pickup hubcaps. Cowl steering with Revell Model A pitman arm and Ala Kart draglink.

Engine: AMT ‘29 optional early Dodge Hemi with Ala Kart water pump, front mount, pulleys & belt, generator, starter and radiator. Modified AMT ‘36 Ford Pontiac intake manifold and Rochester-style carburetors topped with flame-arrestor air filters from AMT ‘34 3-Window (70’s one-time-only). AMT ‘25 T headers. Painted Tamiya Gold with various metallizers.

Body: AMT ‘29 roadster with windshield removed and doors smoothed over. Sectioned Revell ‘37 Ford truck grill. Custom made flat firewall from Evergreen .040” sheet. AMT ‘25 T headlights. Ala Kart taillights. Painted Tamiya Mica Silver with Tamiya Gloss Clear.

Interior: Custom made floor pan from Evergreen .040” sheet. AMT ‘25 T bucket seats and shift handle. AMT ‘40 Ford steering wheel on custom column. Modified gas tank from Revell ‘37 Ford frame mounted in trunk area. AMT ‘29 dashboard and gauge panel.

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

One of the nicest 29 Roadsters I've seen in a while.

There's beauty in the simplicity, although I would have considered plug wires as one of the bare necessities too. You're building at a level where wiring would be expected and is noticed otherwise.

Dennis....really sharp build and great explanation as well. As you probably know, I love this building style and I think you captured the spirit of this type of car and model perfectly.

As for plug wires (or not), build to suit yourself first I think the model looks great as it. TIM BOYD

Everyone, thank you for your generous replies! I had a lot of fun building this model as it gets down to what a hot rodder really needs - a big motor in a light little car. The 1:1 roadster that inspired this project has been a staple at traditional hot rod events in Southern California for many years and was even the owners daily driver for over a year - rain or shine!

This is not the first model where I have recieved (many) suggestions to add aditional detailing and I appreciate that people feel that I am at a point where I should head in that direction. I plan to at some point and it will happen when I feel it but I'm just having fun. I'm 31 and back in my teens I burned myself out trying to do too much. I've been back building for a couple of years and I'm trying to keep it fun this time around. But, again, I do appreciate the suggestions!

Lastly, it was a real treat to have Tim Boyd comment on this build! I have been a major fan of Tim's hot rod builds for many years and used to eagerly await the arrival of my Dad's Street Rodder Magazine issues so that I could check out Tim's "Modelers Corner" column. Thank you, Tim!

Thanks again, guys!

• 4 years later...