Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about Spaz-Stix Chrome paint

Thanks fro the answers, I know I'll get, I was at a local Hobby shop, & in the paint aisle I finally came across some of the spaz stix chrome paint, now I'm Thoroughly confused, it has nothing on the directions about a base coat, & says to top coat in clear. Is this just for use on the R/C car bodies, or will it work on styrene, the guy behind the counter didn't know (it is mainly an R/C shop, A Main Hobbies) so we will have to forgive his ignorance on any other hobby than what he's into. So drop me a note, & let me know I didn't want to spend $22, for the chrome & clear, & find out the hard way that it won't work on plastic kits.

Del,

I have a couple of cans of Spaz-Stix and have tried it on both a plastic part and a resin bumper with great results. I prime the part, I use a base coat of Krylon black, and then the Spaz-Stix and it looks great. No clear! It is made to spray into clear lexan R/C bodies and then with black over it, but it works on plastic just like I have described. I hope that this helps.

When dealing with the Spaz-Stix Chrome (or any of their flip colors), black base is a MUST. With that said, you can vary the effect you are going for by the number and thickness of layers you apply over the base. The more and thicker layers actually will dull the shine considerably. Clear coating it will kill the shine all together (at that point, Krylon Chrome will be shinier).

That said, I have had some fair amount of success with shooting some of their flip colors over different colored bases to achieve a different level of fade/flip/shade. Experimentation with these colors will be your friend.

I've only used the spray, so I can't speak for the airbrush version, but I don't clear it at all. Before using it on any model parts I did a few plastic spoon tests and, like Bradley said, I also determined that clear does indeed dull the chrome effect. Their 'super clear' wasn't on the shelf in a spray, so I can't say for sure if it works....if you do find out, by all means let us know.

Their 'Super Clear' does dull it down as well, Dave. I have done a lot of experimenting with the Spaz line, as I used to do both scale models and IEDA Pro-Stock and Pro-Mod 1/10th scale drag cars. As it was developed for use under clear Lexan bodies, it really relies on that clear for protection.

Thanks for the answers, I'm still a little confused, the bottle I picked up said to top coat it in their super clear, that also came in about a 1oz. size bottle, are we seeing the same paint? Or is the one your using a spray can?

That might be because on a clear RC car shell, you are painting backwards (Inside out)... The chrome is protected by the clear lexan body shell.. the base coat goes over the Chrome as a backing coat, than a protective Clear to seal it all In from debris,moisture and chipping.