Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Thunderbird annual restore

Sport Suburban

Here is a glue bomb restore I recently finished. It's an AMT 65 Thunderbird annual. This is what I found on ebay!! Thankfully it was not painted and the chrome just needed to be rechromed. Glue was heavy and left some pits in the body when I removed the top. Many of these kit's came with the 64 hood that says Thunderbird. I ordered a resin 65 hood but is was too thin to use. I sanded off the letters and foilcast the bird emblem and stuck it to the original hood. The AMT 66 T-bird donated a few parts to this build.

65Thunderbirda.jpg

65Thunderbirdb.jpg

Here is the finished build. I went with pastel yellow for this build. The black uptop is now removable but it was originally glued on.

65Tbirda.jpg

65Tbirdd.jpg

65Tbirdc.jpg

65Tbirde.jpg

65Tbirdg.jpg

Sometimes just a good long soak in Super clean does wonders,otherwise I use odorless mineral spirits just dabbed on an allowed to soak in slowly over (sometimes) a very long time. The freezer and water thing has never worked for me,but might have been good for others.

I use mostly the purple pond. Many times that works with some gentile purswasion. Other times I have to get more creative. I have scribed some joints with my exaco knife and gently cracked it apart. On this one the windshield was so glued it I destroyed the glass and the windshield frame. I grafted in another one from the 66 donor kit that I used. Here are two pics of the 64 that I also built.

64tbird01.jpg

This is what I started with. It's a promo with a destroyed roof.

64tbird04.jpg

Here is the same 64 after I cut the roof off and spliced in the sections from the 66 donor molded in grey. Note that I still had the original glass in place to help fitment.