Model Cars Magazine Forum

Waiting for Irene

Looks like PR got it bad with massive rains and flooding. Power is out to most of the island but so far no mention of any deaths.

The Weather Channel is predicting that this could end up in the Carolinas by this weekend, which isn't my idea of a fun time, the rain is always welcome.

If there was any way to steer it to Texas to help those people out, I think it would be done.

Hope everyone in the path of this store is safe and does not suffer any damage from it.

Latest forecast 27 minutes ago puts Irene, if it stays on its predicted coarse, about 100 miles east of Cape Canaveral by Friday A.M. This means that people along the I-4 corridor and eastward could get winds of up to 76 mph as well as heavy rains and flooding. This usually equates to power outages. Hopefully, this is the worst we'll get here.

Well folks, thanks for your prayers. Irene passed right thru the center of the island as a tropical storm and left being a hurracaine. B) Lot of water everywhere, floods rivers gone crazy. Power is out, still places without water service but we will get thru all this, Thanks all!!

Question possibly for discussion: in frequent storm areas such as Florida, why not bury the power lines? It's not a perfect solution; there is no perfect solution. But doesn't that seem like a more pratical idea than frequently replacing all those poles, and removing all that debris so they can once again run new lines down streets?

Here in New England this subject was discussed after we were hit a few times with ice storms that broke trees and downed power lines.

Question possibly for discussion: in frequent storm areas such as Florida, why not bury the power lines? It's not a perfect solution; there is no perfect solution. But doesn't that seem like a more pratical idea than frequently replacing all those poles, and removing all that debris so they can once again run new lines down streets?

Here in New England this subject was discussed after we were hit a few times with ice storms that broke trees and downed power lines.

Pros and Cons. Many of us post Andrew builders went to underground lines. One issue is flooding..all the access gets flooded and shorts out..Stop and Go light are a prime example...all underground power...they bring in portable generators to make them work until everything gets pumped out.

My power is underground..still lost power for 12 plus hours during Charlie and Wilma..

Lived in Fl. for 34 years, west coast about 50 miles north of Tampa, from what it seems the west coast will be spared by Irene,but after those 3-in-a-row a few years back (one went just south,one went just north & one went right over my house/trailer), I decided I have had enough with humidty & hurricanes, so I moved!, to the desert in Tucson,no humidty,no hurricanes. Hope all who are in the path of Irene stay safe.

Thanks for yoyur prayers and good thougths. I have been without electrical power since sunday night until today. The worse part was not the tropical storm but the rain that follow. It was raining continuos all these days, causing foods and landslides.

Can't they put the wires into waterproof pipes?

They do...BUT ground water here is 18 " down....You put it in and its gonna flood...a lot of barrier islanders put the A/C compressors on roofs.

Florida..down south is a swamp the everglades filter all the water going thru the state...we do get standing water most rainy seasons

Looks better for florida...

15320984_BG3.gif

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

Well we in FL feel better...but hoping the best from NC north

We chuckle...my daughter the FL girl who goes to school in Philly, this week had to deal with an Earthquake and now the Hurricane,,, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o

15337421_BG5.gif

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC