Model Cars Magazine Forum

!/8th Offset Sprint Car

Thanks Mooneyzs. you must go to PIR, like I do. Well I drew those plans with a pencil and architectual scale; used to do that for a living. I made a mistake with Tony Bettenhousen as it was Gary Bettenhousen who help with Grant King designing the car. Here's some pictures of it. 100001.jpg

1975simone8.jpg

that is looking great, ken! this is an awesome looking car. i love the colors and the gold leaf number. the injected small block is right at home there.

i have a question or two about these kinds of cars. i realize that track has a lot to do with it but, how fast is the type of car you are building? what is the type of car that has the big block mounted offset and twisted like that?

On a 1/2 mile pavement track they'll reach 145mph. Pheonix is a mile track so they go about about 160 mph top speed. Super modifieds are what you're thinking about with the big block. They go the same speed, just pull harder out of the corners. I've seen this car run competively with the supers and in fact, now days, it's the only class it could be legal in with that much offset. They're sort of like dragsters but the motor has to last through at least two or three races (about 40 miles) in one event not a few 1/4 mile runs. Back when I raced them there were no rules so some guys had super chargers, turbo chargers, NOS but seldom made it to the end of the race. You would love to hear the roar of 24 of these things coming down at full speed to take the green flag. Where you live, in PA, it is sprint car heaven. Lots of fast cars and tracks to run several nights a week (on dirt).. Ken

Edited by Old Sprinter

Dave; Wayne is correct. A year ago, when I first decided to try and scratch build a model, I bought these tires for a supermodiifed I was going to do. Tires for a scratch builder (like me) is a huge problem so I thought these tires would work. Well they didn't, too short, so I got some RC tires for dirt and filled in the tread. Since then I have built 7 cars and non of them would work with the tires either. So this model attracted me the most because I could make it to fit the tires and finally get to use them. This is a fooling around project that I needed to do, without spending a bunch of time or money on. I have been working on it less than two weeks, including drawing the plans. Thanks, you guys, for the great encourgement