Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1965 Ranchero

They're not $50. I haven't seen any priced in that range,so why do people keep saying they're $50? They may be that high in a hobby shop,but you can find them online in $36-$39 range easily.

Mike, if it's anything like the Falcon hardtop (I expect it will be based on the same tooling) and depending on your expectations, you may find yourself disappointed in at least some aspects of it. You might want to scroll down in this section and read the thread about it, if you have some time on your hands.

Like you, I was excited by the prospects of having the Ranchero in kit form, but I'm not holding my breath, especially after seeing the hardtop.

Mike, if it's anything like the Falcon hardtop (I expect it will be based on the same tooling) and depending on your expectations, you may find yourself disappointed in at least some aspects of it. You might want to scroll down in this section and read the thread about it, if you have some time on your hands.

Like you, I was excited by the prospects of having the Ranchero in kit form, but I'm not holding my breath, especially after seeing the hardtop.

Steve,

I don't have the hardtop or convertible, but a friend of mine has both and I've compared them closely to the AMT promos and annuals, which I do have. Sure, there are problems here and there, like the goofy tires, engine, exhaust, too-narrow trunklid, taillights a bit too far inboard, headlight bezels, and the body being just a hint too square in places. However, I kitbash nearly everything, including factory stock, and swapping the bad stuff for better stuff and doing a little body work isn't an issue for me, as I spent lots of time building and correcting badly engineered models for the last 35 or so years. So I suppose that I've come to expect it.

A badly out of scale body would be a bummer, but if it's decent, like the '64s, (and I think it will be) then I wouldn't care if the rest was curbside and battery operated with Tonka wheels - that's what the parts box and kits are for.

-Mike

They're not $50. I haven't seen any priced in that range,so why do people keep saying they're $50? They may be that high in a hobby shop,but you can find them online in $36-$39 range easily.

True..but with shipping, one would be close to $50. I wonder what hobby shops are charging for them (haven't been in one in a couple months).

Edited by Rob Hall

So far Rob, I haven't paid more that 20 bucks for ANY Trumpeter kit. I get them at the toy shows for cheap cause the perfectionists cut 'em loose real fast cause they're not up to their speed. Me, I just wanna build 'em. I'll wait till next spring when they start showing up on the vendors tables.They build up just the same as the very newest release. Personally, I'm waitin on that little Ranchero. :D

From what I can see in the fotki album, the body is pretty well proportioned, with only one (minor) problem: It looks like they molded a gas cap on each side; it's on the left only so the right has to be filled in. Grille looks nice, taillight buckets look to be molded to the body, can't tell if the proper cris-cross chrome detail is molded into the lens or not... if they are too far off, a good substitute may be the ones from the AMT '65 Falcon AWB drag kits. I like that the seat is separate, easier to switch to buckets and console which was an option. Dash trim, door panels, and seat upholstery is correct for 1965.

-MJS

From what I can see in the fotki album, the body is pretty well proportioned, with only one (minor) problem: It looks like they molded a gas cap on each side; it's on the left only so the right has to be filled in. Grille looks nice, taillight buckets look to be molded to the body, can't tell if the proper cris-cross chrome detail is molded into the lens or not... if they are too far off, a good substitute may be the ones from the AMT '65 Falcon AWB drag kits. I like that the seat is separate, easier to switch to buckets and console which was an option. Dash trim, door panels, and seat upholstery is correct for 1965.

-MJS

Good eye on the dual gas caps, glad you caught it before I started painting. I'm going to fill in the right side as you suggested ...... Thanks