Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurricane Irene - lost quite a bit

We had to abandon our house when a tree fell and practically divided it in two. All my completed models are destroyed by water and plaster damage, all my unbuilt kits are damaged or destroyed, and my workstation in the basemenr is waterlogged from the upstairs damage and completely destroyed. We got out with the clothes on our backs, the pets, and some cameras to record the damage today.

More on this when I can.

I really don't know what to say .... I know I moan about our weather here in England, but I hope I never have to cope with what you are going through at the moment, hopefully you are insured and can get your home repaired very soon, but I know that can't compensate for loosing personal items,

We're here in McDonalds borrowing their wi-fi for a moment, so I thought I would pop in a sec.

First... THANKS ALL OF YOU. I will keep you guys updated.

Second... I was able to save the General Lee since it was in a clear container when the storm hit. Depending on ya'll's likes/dislikes, that's either a good or a bad thing... :P

Third... we are at my grandmothers house which has power (she has been staying with my aunt since grandad passed away), so it's not like we are in a shelter.

Fourth... we have the ball rolling on renter's insurance with Nationwide (we don't own the house) and the rental agency, but not sure when we will receive anything.

Fifth... when I get a chance I'll post up pics of the destruction... but it ain't pretty.

Thanks again and I'll get back to you guys soon.

I'm sure this is no consolation, but as they say, "It's not the destination, it's the journey." Meaning that, in regard to the model building part, all your hard work eventually paid off in good times, fine work and a good ride while you were building, though it's all gone now. Glad you're all safe and sorry about your losses.

We're here in McDonalds borrowing their wi-fi for a moment, so I thought I would pop in a sec.

Third... we are at my grandmothers house which has power (she has been staying with my aunt since grandad passed away), so it's not like we are in a shelter.

Fourth... we have the ball rolling on renter's insurance with Nationwide (we don't own the house) and the rental agency, but not sure when we will receive anything.

Thanks again and I'll get back to you guys soon.

We will leave the light on..but looks as if you have been blessed..keep the fingers crossed and watch out for the adjuster..get the info in while its all still fresh in your minds. Glad you do have a roof and family there for you..God Bless....

Sorry about all the damage and loss Allen...even though its a tough to deal with at least you and all the family are ok. We were lucky here...storm only lasted about 15 minutes before passing on cant imagine it lasting for hours.

????

We didn't have any storm here in Illinois... it's been sunny for days!

Robert, I understand exactly where yer a commin from. I'm in Richmond . I had to replace the roof eight years ago after Isabell. A good deal of the fence about the yard went too as well as the front porch . This time , a bunch of a Sweet Gum came over from next door , some of the neighbors fence in my yard and a couple of sections in the back and a shutter at my place . Meanwhile , NO PHONE SERVICE , and I just got my light s back as I'm close to the Chesterfield County Courthouse complex . Ed Shaver

Hey Allen,

Like everyone said, your family and your health are the most important things, you can work through the rest.

Please let Danno know your General Lee is safe.

Who is Robert? Is that you or are you Allen? I am not sure so I wish both of you all the best.

Best wishes to you and your family and neighbors.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee