Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can someone do a quick tutorial for Fotki transfer?

Hey Gang,

Been trying to post some pictures from Fotki to here, got one posted so far, but will not let me move it around or add text above the picture. Know I am supposed to open Fotki with one link and forum with another link, but not sure what to do next. I used the image link on the "posting a new topic" window to add that picture, but not sure that is correct way to add.

I know I am missing something simple and obvious but hoping you will show me what that is. Have looked over Clay's great pinned topic on posting, but seems to be a little complicated for me and also seems a little different because it is Photobucket. As always, I thank in advance all those that care to reply!

Mike

Get a Photobucket Mike its Free and much easier :) For the pic below, which you cant see til you click on the link :( you need to copy the image location and paste here, if you copy the location from the thumbnail view it only opens the thumbnail. If you've actually got a pic to post you've done better than me , but to type text above or below is as easy as typing the words in the editor box then inserting the link/s where you want them. Just hit enter to put the link on its own line. Hope this has helped a bit, I had to reopen the fotki account (free) I dropped six years ago to try and help you out as no one else seems to have.

http://images21.fotk...sTynan02-vi.jpg

Edited by brett

Fotki is fine, that's what I use. When you click on a Fotki thumnail, it enlarges, then you right click and select copy photo ULR, then you come here and do this:

bracket img bracket PICTURE LINK bracket /img bracket

And that should work . . . hope this helps.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

What 'the Crank' is saying is: you want to copy the image URL from the Fotki page to your clipboard.

At Fotki page, click the box "Share"

The drop down box opens with three options, pick the first: "Image URL for use on other sites". Click the address and it says "Copy".

it, the image address, is then on your clipboard.

Go to Model Cars Mag and click the link to "Add Reply".

When the window opens the heading says "Reply to this topic" and there is a full menu above the text box. Click the little box with the green tree in it on the second row middle.

It will open another box.

Right click and paste.

Enter

P1011448-vi.jpg

Easy!

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY.........!!!!! This will be so much easier than mailing everyone sketches!!

Thank you for replying fellas, so much to learn here, guess the last step in my personal journey is learning how to post. I appreciate you all taking the time!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hey gang,

Sorry to bring this up again, I just cannot get FOTKI to post my pictures, following instructions from the good folks above who took the time to help me doesn't seem to work.

I am not getting the URL message when I click on share, and when I try to move using any of the three options when I click on share, I get a message from our forum that I cannot use pictures, not authorized for our forum. What is wrong? I am stumped. I followed above information perfectly last night, spent a couple of hours trying to post, was able to get a thumbnail to finally post, but thumbnails are not the goal.

Thanks again to all that jump in, couldn't do it without you guys!!

Mike

I would like to add my question. After clicking on "share", I dont have "image URL for use on other sites", only these two: "link to send via email" and "code for a fotki journal" . I have to right click on the picture, select properties from the drop down box, highlight the url, click copy, then go to the model cars website and paste it in. Is there something wrong with my account, or computer, or what? It is a total pain if I am gonna post more than oen picture. Do I need one of those Fotki accounts one pays for? And I dont want to use photobucket, I do not like it.

I get the same thing Glenn does, but when I click copy and try to paste, nothing happens. Could this be because I have Vista on my computer? I used to know how to fix everything on computers, now I can't even post a picture?

Chuck, exactly what steps are you doing to post?

This is just crazy, don't want to use Photobucket, but FOTKI just won't work, have gotten several tips from members here, but for some mysterious reason, I can't make them work. Must be me, but I don't know how to fix it.

Please hurry.....I have some glue bombs to post!!!! Thanks to all.

Mike

This is how I do it-

When you click on the image (the full image) you'll see the 'share' icon at the upper right side. Click on that and you will see a drop down menu. The first selection will be "Image URL for use on other sites:" move your cursor onto the address below that- it should highlight in orange. (If your internet is a bit slow it might take a second.) Left-click on it when it is highlighed and 'Copied' will appear.

Then on this site click the Icon button (the square with a tree in it just below the text 'Size' box). When the prompt appears, paste the URL you copied from Fotki into the box and hit OK, the image should immediately appear in the post editor. (Again, might take a second for it to load if your internet is a bit slow.) Once the photo is in the editor, it should appear in the post. That's how I do it. B) Sounds like a lot, but the actual process takes about five seconds.

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for info, but when I get to that dropdown, it does not say that, it says the same thing as Glenn mentioned above, and when you try to use that link, no luck, won't show the picture and then forum announces we can't use it anyway. There is just no "Image URL for use on other sites:" option showing, to me and Glenn anyway, when we click on the "share" button. What you are saying just looks so clean and easy, but can't get that option, and trust me, I have spent a good two hours experimenting over the last day to try and load some pictures. I have no idea what to do next. Thanks again.

Mike

A quick thought...I have the free version of FOTKI, will not pay for it until I see if it works. Could this be why some of us are not getting the URL message? Do we have to pay to share our photos? I just got done trying it AGAIN and that URL link just does not exist. Thanks

Mike

A quick thought...I have the free version of FOTKI, will not pay for it until I see if it works. Could this be why some of us are not getting the URL message? Do we have to pay to share our photos? I just got done trying it AGAIN and that URL link just does not exist. Thanks

Mike

I think that is your problem. I have a paid Fotki account. Works fine. Well, except for the one in a hundred photos they lose.

LOL! Listen, Fotki runs a deal every once in a while every year, a special where you can pay up to 3 or 5 years for a much better price. That's what I get, although it is a bit of money up front (I think I paid 74 or so one year for five years, etc . . . ) but it really does give you a place to story thousands and thousands of pictures. UNLIMMITED.