Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best place to buy Tamiya Spray paint

I at first thought it was just a relabeling issue.....Now i think it is a Formula issue, of the paint....My LHS tells me it should be here in Oct..Ha Ha Ha...Not their fault.....Good Ol'e Tamiya....Cheers... B)

Customer Service Address:

Tamiya America, Inc.

Attn: Customer Service

36 Discovery #200

Irvine, CA 92618 Phone: (800) TAMIYA-A

Fax: (949) 362-2250

Customer Service Hours

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST

STOP THE RUMOURS!!

Tamiya is relabeling them because of CA. Then the Tsunami hit the mfgring plant..Its coming...Sept or October

I at first thought it was just a relabeling issue.....Now i think it is a Formula issue, of the paint....My LHS tells me it should be here in Oct.. B)

My LHS (in Michigan) also told me last week that it is an issue involving the formula of the paint, and that the State of California legislation involving carcinogens figures into it. The Hobby Store source said that, when combined with the Japanese Earthquake (and, presumably, the non-availibilty of certain paint pigments), the entire situation has prompted Tamiya to do a complete re-think of their spray paint lineup including the formulas and paint colors.

Although this source sounded credible, I'm taking this as semi-informed hearsay rather than fact. That is, until we hear the real story from Tamiya themselves.

TIM .

Most places were out of the colors i was looking for, I finally found some one ebay from arizona. Some in the spray and some in jars. Thx. for the replies.

Joe

When you say jars,do you mean the acrylic or the synthetic lacquer? I've never seen the Lacquer in jars or bottles,only the spray.

California has even stricter guidelines than the EPA does. So if they want to sell their product in California, they have to meet California's standards.

wow, i had no idea. wow, thanks cali legislators for making it easier once again for automotive/hobby enthusiasts...(can you sense the sarcasim?)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're close to the Canadian border or know someone coming here have them check out Canadian hobby shops. Not all shops carry the Tamiya spray line but those that do don't seem to be having the same problems as shops in the US. On a recent trip to several shops in my province I found full racks and even several cans of the elusive primers.

Rob in Saskatchewan

I was at a LHS here in Arizona and the proprietor/ clerk, told me that they had just gotten a shipment of sprays from Tamiya but sold out very quickly and were waiting for some more.I asked about the acrylic water based stuff and he replied that that was still a month away. Has anyone else seen or heard this?

We had our re-labelling about 10 years ago up here.

If you're close to the Canadian border or know someone coming here have them check out Canadian hobby shops. Not all shops carry the Tamiya spray line but those that do don't seem to be having the same problems as shops in the US. On a recent trip to several shops in my province I found full racks and even several cans of the elusive primers.

Rob in Saskatchewan