Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 70.5 ADRL Extreme Pro Mod Camaro Update: 6/4 addition of wheelie bar

Joe, Greg, Brad and Kane.... and everyone else that has been stopping in and viewing the thread. Thank you all for checking in and taking a gander at my most recent update on the rear of my build.

Brad, I hear ya buddy... I haven't had the opportunity to do any recent work on the project, I was in Lorain, Ohio last week for work. Plus been side tracked turning my attention towards the Vette and messing with the body work on the nose. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I thought I would resurrect this build from the DEAD and show a small update... :) With the Heartland Nationals next weekend, I would like to have it standing on its own two legs (4 legs in this case) so I can at least set it in the "Unfinished" category.

So needless to say the wafer thin 3D printed part that comes from TDR to mount the rear Caliper to is just way to flimsy, so I had to do something about that. Plus the kicker was that it wasn't long enough to work in my application to fit over my Hub and onto the Carbon rotor. So I got out my brass and begin to draw a pattern out and and today was the day with my second attempt and I like the final result. Now I just need to duplicate it for the other side.

On with the show as they say!!

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Once I complete the other side I can move to the front and begin figuring out what I need to do with that mess. :lol:

Thanks for looking in, at my slow as molasses progress. LOL

Thanks Dave for pointing that out because I actually hadn't tried the wheel on the assembly at the time. The only thing I had to do was slightly massage the outer part of the caliper and the wheel fits right on the assembly with no binding or friction. I would assume that in 1:1, it would an 1" or 2" away from the inner wheel or would it be much more than that?

The rotor when measured with the calipers says 0.7555", so that works out to be 12.08" somewhere in the ball park of a 12" rotor then?

yes, the rotor dia. is too large. also, the caliper sits out too far on the rotor. getting these two details correct would have alleviated the un-nessecary grinding on the outside of the caliper.

Well that is a shame, if the rotors need to be smaller. A couple things need to be changed then on the turned parts. Right now the way it sits the Caliper is very close to the mounting points on the Hub for the rotor. If the rotor was turned down to a smaller diameter then the caliper will hit on the rotor the way it is made. :(

A suggestion for Jim (MicroNitro) next time or going forward might be to off set the rotor mounting so the Hub sits into it deeper on the face side. This way the mounting points would sit flush with the rotor face, then the caliper when it turns wouldn't hit the hub as it rotates.

Well, I thought I would resurrect this build from the DEAD and show a small update... :) With the Heartland Nationals next weekend, I would like to have it standing on its own two legs (4 legs in this case) so I can at least set it in the "Unfinished" category.

So needless to say the wafer thin 3D printed part that comes from TDR to mount the rear Caliper to is just way to flimsy, so I had to do something about that. Plus the kicker was that it wasn't long enough to work in my application to fit over my Hub and onto the Carbon rotor. So I got out my brass and begin to draw a pattern out and and today was the day with my second attempt and I like the final result. Now I just need to duplicate it for the other side.

On with the show as they say!!

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Once I complete the other side I can move to the front and begin figuring out what I need to do with that mess. :lol:

Thanks for looking in, at my slow as molasses progress. LOL

Your Doing a great job building looks really really nice. Bart all of the time you spent really shows.

Bart you are doing a tremendous job on this chassis, especially for some of your first attempts, everything looks first class, you got the right guy giving you advise, Dave is oozing with knowledge of these cars,we are lucky to have him! I can't wait to see this thing next weekend, don't forgrt to bring it saturday even though the show is sunday!! see you there!

listen, i'm trying to help you guys out. i offer up-to-date pics with scaling in them. i see no one else offering this to the drag racing members of this board. i am attempting to help eliminate the bull and other junk that happens on drag racing modeling sites.

if you don't like it, i will gladly stop! just say so. you can go right back to incorrect parts that don't fit or don't belong.

Ok, I am not quite sure why this entire conversation went south and has become a match about right or wrong. Hey I don't have any ill will towards anyone. First off I don't have a lathe or mill of my own to make these parts, so I am thankful for getting what I got. I have to take some ownership in this as well. Because if I was wanting something a different size or designed differently that is my fault to begin with because I don't have the talent to use CAD. Probably more of the patience to learn the program really! I would rather be building, I guess that is the ADD in me. :)

Dave I have to say that I for one appreciate your feedback, for me I don't care for it to be sugar coated and nicey nice. I am someone that would rather have it direct and to the point. Even at work, I tell my boss "Just get to the POINT!"... LOL.

I would hope you for one; would know by now, how much it is appreciated that you are willing to share photo's. Because if it wasn't for you sharing them either Offline or even posting them on the forums, I wouldn't be able to churn out (can I say that? because my stuff isn't fast by any means. :D )any of the stuff that I have made. When building stuff from scratch and trying to get measurements of parts, it is virtually DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to even think about attempting such a task. But with your help and current knowledge, since you are around this stuff, it helps not only me but others as well.

In the end, not only do I learn from my mistakes but I also get the opportunity to see and experience parts that I would probably never get the chance to see up close that aren't mounted to the car and pretty much invisible.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

The build is coming out real nice Bart, this is to Dave, 2 things,: #1 I agree with Bart, really like seeing any info you can give on the P/M's, at the moment I'm not building any 1/16th scale stuff, working on 2 1/25th scale builds, but I still use info from you,#2: I think what Jim (micronitro) was wondering about was what kind of car those rotors came off of, since he works mainly on the fuel cars.

Wow, "if you don't like it, i will gladly stop! just say so. you can go right back to incorrect parts that don't fit or don't belong." You are a great builder and very talented, but we did not just build junk before you enlightened us. Please, please do not say that a part I built is the wrong size. I have access to all the full size parts and can divide by 16. I try very hard to make products which exceed my customers expectations. I built full size top fuel and funny cars for over 20 years and still have access to the shop. If you think something is wrong please email me first to make sure you're correct. I now make a living building these parts and take their quality very serious. Now, I think we should give this thread back to Bart and his exceptional build.

Just a small update, I thought I would show some work I have done in roughing out the wheelie bar. Keep in mind the wheels and rear end is just pinned in place so in a few of the pictures the passengers side wheel looks out of camber and the right rear coil over isn't mounted solid. :)

I decided to go with 104" Wheelie Bars with 4" slim-line poly Magnum wheelie wheels. I may go add the extra small hole in the middle part to look like some orange ones from Jerry Brickle if I feel daring. I wish I had a rotary table and mill or lathe to get the holes centered accurately, but it is close enough for doing it by hand. I even added the concave from the bearing out, which was a pain dealing with white.. maybe I can work this better once primered up so i can see it better (or it may look totally awful once I do that... we will see)

Currently I have them set up where they are running a scale 3" off of the ground, not sure where most run them as a first time generic setup when they start testing. If anyone know's and would like to provide insight it would be greatly appreciated. I can then get my wheelie mounts mounted in place for that top down bar and begin working on the support bars.

Oh, my small Points file is my new High Tech Rear wing, it just needs to be adjusted for more down force! LOL

Here are some quick photos.... Thanks for stopping in and taking a look see.

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms

The wheeliebar came out great looking Bart, like that new style rear wing too :lol: , don't know how much downforce it'll give at any angle tho!, from watching the P/M's on TV I don't think the height should be all that important, they start out pretty close to the ground until after the launch, then they seem (to me anyway) jump up & have quite a bit of ground clearance.