Model Cars Magazine Forum

TEXACO Gas Station diorama - 1/25 scale - Outdoor shooting

Model Junkyard

Hello guys, I want to share with you our latest project.

This summer, my brother and I build this Texaco Gas Station diorama. I know that the pumps are not correctly located and many details are still missing such as oil cans, counter inside the shop, the garage equipment, etc. I'll be building that stuff soon, I just had no time to finish it as good as I wanted and I had to leave to Switzerland for the photo shooting with my brother Iggy (he lives there).

We put a lot of work into it, I hope you like it!

Enjoy!

Seb

This is the original picture that used as example:

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_5.jpg

Here one pic of the building process:

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_4.jpg

Here you see a night scene picture. The gas station has a complete electrical installation with light bulbs in every room and outside.

Texaco_Diorama_1_25_project_014.jpg

Here a few pictures of the outdoor photo shooting session in Switzerland:

Texaco_Diorama_1_25_project_009.jpg

1932_ford_rat_rod_24_hs_of_le_junk_texaco_gas_station_02.jpg

Looks like Walter Teauge , Texaco architect was sitting alongside of you when you were constructing the building . That will definitely be a proud piece on completion . Ed Shaver

That's one of the best complements here....and Ed is spot on!!

Beautiful work!!

• 1 month later...

Seb, I've just gone and re read all of the posts you made as well as the complementary posts . First , Texaco was NOT Gulf in the sense that pumps weren't made to ANY Standard , nor were they made by one company to fit a station . Texaco, like a lot of the stations such as Richfield tended to stay with a couple of manufacturers to lower costs . The Wayne #60's pictured in the photo you have were typical . Then too, you seem to have replicated a close proximity , a pair of Tokiem #39-L's . There is NOTHING wrong with anything so far . I like it and as the photographer of the book, Check the Oil by Scott Anderson - 1983 , I think I should ought to know something about the station appearance . I really should have gone and published the book , I was working on and maybe I shall ,now that Computers make such an endeavor possible . Jus build it, the crowds will applaud ! Ed Shaver

George , with the name changed to Caltex and using maybe some replicated Satam Pumps , it would be a Spanish, perhaps an Italian or maybe a French Texaco filling station .......... Ed Shaver

Italian Manufactured Satam pump used at a B. P Station about 1959:

BP-_Bensinstationwebres1.jpg

Caltex station - Germany :

cgipict-ext136.jpg

Texaco station - W/ canopy , ( western region ) built about 1939-41

texaco.jpg

Edited by Eshaver

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome build. I plan to do a diorama of my Hotrod shop I plan to build and expand til it looks like it. So it will serve two purposes. One to see it in 3d and two for my cars and the 3 tow rigs I oplan to build for my shop. It resembles the service station of the future from the popular mechanics mag in the early 50s but has serious Texaco influence in the design. The front show room will be big enough for about a medium size performance restoration parts store with 4 bays and 2 bathrooms around the side and two canopy's similar to the one you built.

T J, I doubt you have access to the magazine , Architectural Digest or further some of the late 1930's issues I have had access to over the years . Walter Doran Teauge was the Industrial designer for the Texas Company and of course designed the now famous Porcelain Box which was the basis for all Texaco stations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Dorwin_Teague

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/indpla.html#gass

http://www.luckymojo.com/texacostar.html

I hope these three links help in the search for the perfect Texaco station ...........

Ed Shaver

• 2 months later...

Thank you guys so much for your great feedback!

@ Ed, it seems like you're a Gas Station expert! Thanks for the info and the pics. I know I reoplcated a pair of Toks 39 as I like 'em better than the original Waynes on the original picture. It was not about making a 100% perfect replica, but much more something than I liked.

About Walter Teague -the architect- sitting beside me, well, he was not sitting beside me but... I have a secret to confess... I'm an architect myself ;) and building scale models is my passion since I'm a child.

Ed, about your book, yes, you should do it! It's quite easy now with self publishing services and print on demand orders. You don't need to convince any publisher anymore :-)

Here you have a few more pics, taken in switzerland last summer.

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_18.jpg

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_26.jpg

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_28.jpg

texaco_old_retro_gas_station_1_25_scale_model_31.jpg

There is a new gas station project on the workbench now. My brother Iggy, is working on a gas station based on a barn. Some kind of a rural gas station. Here an example of a painting by Dale Klee that served as inspiration for the project.

OLDBARN_GasStation_004.jpg

Here the work in progress. It's not supposed to be exactly the same as Dale Klee's gas station. It's gonna be Iggy own design based on inspiration from many pictures.

OLD_BARN_GAS-STATION_000.jpg

Fantastic work!!! It looks like the station on the AMT Chevy P/U box. I have wanted to build a more modern gas station but after I built a older station I found they take up a LOT of room!!!

Maybe someday I will tackle one.

Here is two pics of my older more rural station.

vettte2dio-vi.jpg

Plymouth2-vi.jpg