Model Cars Magazine Forum

Makeing Convincing Aluminum?

Hello,

How can I make aluminum parts look like thier real not just painted? I have some Testors aluminum paint but it has a metallic look not the solid color of real aluminum. Sorry if this is stupid question but I searched the web and found nothing about it. Thanks!

Try a little baremental foil. Err..............Baremetal Foil that is. Baremental.............that's pretty funny.

Anyway............burnish it down good. Then hit it with some high grit sand paper (1000+) I did this hood this way to replicate unpainted steel. For aluminum, maybe hit the whole thing with a little dull coat to bring down the shine. I think that might get pretty close to aluminum. In theory anyway. Let us know how this works out.

2011-06-18073011.jpg

Rob,

WOW that looks SWEET! I wanna make some aluminum slots would the foil work on wheels? I have other parts to but I REALLY want the wheels to look real as thats one of the biggest eye candy parts. As a buddy of mine once told me "The eye feeds first" and my eyes think that looks yummy.

That's the stupidest question I've ever read!

Just kidding, of course. Do you have the metalizer paints or regular old Testors enamel? The metalizers really make the parts look like they are made of metal. And for polished aluminum you can do no better than Alclad.

Agree with Curtis....I love both the buffable and non buffable aluminum metalizers..by using or not using the sealer, you get 4 different shades of aluminum.Then some washes or powders , the look is endless....heres some roof panels...I have dulled them down to look like steel sheets

IMG_2265.jpg

On this one the aircleaner was dulled but the front bumper wasn't...you can see the difference with the same color

IMG_0727.jpg

I have just plain ol Testors but I'll look into Metalizers and Alclad. Which of the 2 is better? Jim do you have a website? Where in Indiana are you? I live in Bedford. Your mags look badass! I want slots on the Yenko Deuce i'm gonna build I know thier not stock but slots just look sweet on a Nova. Even if I had a real Deuce :wub: I'd put slots on it. I think I've downloaded every picture of a '70 Nova on the net LOL. Thanks!

I have just plain ol Testors but I'll look into Metalizers and Alclad. Which of the two is better?

I don't think this is a case where one is better than the other; they are decidedly different. Alclad's chrome and polished aluminum have no equivalent in the Testors/Model Master line of metalizers. There are a bunch of other finishes in the Alclad line that are different from the Testors offerings. Several of the Testors metalizers are available in spray cans and, as mentioned, they can be sealed with Testors metalizer sealer or by the gloss/dull/semi-gloss clear of your choice. I have all the Testors metalizers and use them to create varieties of metallic finishes, usually based on my own imagination rather than on reference photos, because that variety of finishes appeals to the overall effect I'm looking for. I will at some future point acquire more of the Alclad paints, but I'm not in any desperate hurry to do so. I do think their chrome and polished aluminum, however, are indispensable to the scale automobile modeler.

If you are just trying the stuff out, why not get a can of one of the Testors metalizers and shoot it onto some plastic? Then you can expand your range afterward if you like it.

Just before posting this I was planning how to shoot a model with aluminum buffing metalizer so that would be the base color, much of which would be exposed on the final model. I'll post a photo when I can so you can see what I'm talking about.

Well I ordered some Testors brushable Metalizer its cheaper and sounds a little easier to do. I will definately post some pix of my project. Still in it waiting for all the stuff to come and buy a few things stage but the ball is rolling. Thanks for all the input!

Well I ordered some Testors brushable Metalizer its cheaper and sounds a little easier to do. I will definately post some pix of my project. Still in it waiting for all the stuff to come and buy a few things stage but the ball is rolling. Thanks for all the input!

Ah Tim...the jar stuff is "for airbrush only"... That said, you can brush with it..wet brush, 1 shot as its lacquer....careful!!!

I would recommend a good primer base , if you miss a spot...wait until dry (quick) then retouch..

.it does self level to a point,and it is thin when it goes on so stir well

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

Mike,

I have an airbrush (where I dunno but I'll find it). It is a Paasche double action but I haven't used it in years but for $60+ you can beat I'll find it. Should I still primer first? I found the metalizer on ebay for 99 cents. Its exhaust color which looks a lil darker but still in the aluminum spectrum (at least on Testors lil swatches).

Mike,

I have an airbrush (where I dunno but I'll find it). It is a Paasche double action but I haven't used it in years but for $60+ you can beat I'll find it. Should I still primer first? I found the metalizer on ebay for 99 cents. Its exhaust color which looks a lil darker but still in the aluminum spectrum (at least on Testors lil swatches).

I shoot a lot of the metalizers...little if any thinning needed, no primer and dry quickly. Donn Yost uses them as primer.