Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty 2+2 Grand Prix

Rocketman

Tape removed. gonna need clean up around the nose

May I suggest you use maskign tape from Tamiya in the future? The tape you are using now is well known for bleeding and leaves a big(ger) transition between colors.

If you use modelling masking tape, the chance of bleeding are much slimmer and the paintjob looks sharper.

May I suggest you use maskign tape from Tamiya in the future? The tape you are using now is well known for bleeding and leaves a big(ger) transition between colors.

If you use modelling masking tape, the chance of bleeding are much slimmer and the paintjob looks sharper.

Except for the curve on the nose all of the remaining edges are 6mm Tamiya tape, then blue, then 6 mm Tamiya to seal the blue tape which is how i got the rest of the lines clean.

Problem around the nose is 6mm Tamiya won't curve tight enough and I'm taping on a body curve also. I used 1mmm tape then 3mm then Tamyia. But i did not effectilvely burnish it again before paint and it lifted. In the past i've cut a pattern for things like that nose area out of 40mm Tamiya and taped on butI just wasn't thinking this morning (not enough coffee) and goofed the bumper color in the center.

We'll clean her up before adding the blue.

0042.jpg

Edited by Rocketman

• 2 weeks later...

There was always something beautiful about the Richard Petty STP cars. Keep up the work...end result will look great.

Thanks Ken. Wish I had an extra body to do the chassis test fit work though, I don't like handeling the painted body so much. Thankfully I have not decaled it yet :)

Wish I had an extra body to do the chassis test fit work though, I don't like handeling the painted body so much.

Maybe try some shrink wrap of a clear plastic bag to reduce the rubbing. The thickness of either shouldn't be enough to throw off the fit and should give you a little protection.

• 1 year later...