Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets Build some Models

You know what killed my enthusiasm many, many months ago? I am stuck. The model I am working on needs coil-over shocks. Not from a model kit, but scratchbuilt. And I have made enough parts for a few pairs. But I just cannot get them right. "Close enough" doesn't work for me. Either I end up with two unequal lengths, or the bolt mounts at either end look uneven, bad, or 'off'. I put so much work into it, and I don't want lousy shocks. I have metal springs, and 3/32, 1/8, and one other size aluminum rod, I cannot think of the size right now. Does anyone make coil-overs in the aftermarket? Because at this point, I would consider buying some.

Edited by Jon Cole

You know what killed my enthusiasm many, many months ago? I am stuck. The model I am working on needs coil-over shocks. Not from a model kit, but scratchbuilt. And I have made enough parts for a few pairs. But I just cannot get them right. "Close enough" doesn't work for me. Either I end up with two unequal lengths, or the bolt mounts at either end look uneven, bad, or 'off'. I put so much work into it, and I don't want lousy shocks. I have metal springs, and 3/32, 1/8, and one other size aluminum rod, I cannot think of the size right now. Does anyone make coil-overs in the aftermarket? Because at this point, I would consider buying some.

You might try this. I've seen others elsewhere but my memory fails me at the moment.

http://www.rbmotion.com/shocks.html

You might try this. I've seen others elsewhere but my memory fails me at the moment.

http://www.rbmotion.com/shocks.html

yeah the Rb Motion coil overs are excellent I have purchased several sets from Robert, And if you really want to make your own you can follow my build up of adjustable coil overs in my ProMod build heres the link to the page http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44578&st=120

I have a couple of sets in 1/8th scale. One set is from an aftermarket company whoose name escapes me at the moment,and another set from Bob Dudek. You don't mention what scale you need,but Bob could probably whip up a set for you in most any scale. If it's 1/24th R&D unique had some (non-working) and they show up on ebay from time to time.

Rom, that... is some amazing detail on that build! Those coil-overs look great! I have never used a tap thread before... how much would a set run for?

Also, RB Motion stuff looks great also!

Is that aluminum rod, or hollow tube? I have some K&S hollow tube, yet one size does not fit snug into the next size up. Example, the 3/32 has some play when in 1/8 tube. So I end up applying more epoxy than I like.

Rom, that... is some amazing detail on that build! Those coil-overs look great! I have never used a tap thread before... how much would a set run for?

Also, RB Motion stuff looks great also!

Is that aluminum rod, or hollow tube? I have some K&S hollow tube, yet one size does not fit snug into the next size up. Example, the 3/32 has some play when in 1/8 tube. So I end up applying more epoxy than I like.

Hey John I bought two sets actually one set is from Harbor freight which is a normal size set which can be used on about thing it's actually the set I used to make the coil overs. The other set is a micro set that I purchased from Micro Mark here's the direct link it it on their website http://www.micromark.com/14-piece-Mini-Tap-and-Die-Set,6536.html

Yes I did use aluminum tube cant remember the exact size but I keep a variety or brass and aluminum from K&N here in my shop , that way I just find what works best i hope this helps you.

Regards Romell

I thought i was the only one left drinking RC Cola!!! :lol:

I do not personally know one other person around here that still does other than my self!

My wife and friends can vouch for this story - after we selected a the area in Florida that we wanted to move to from Chicago, I called RC to ask if they sold RC in the area. They replied yes so we put an offer on a house. If RC would have said no, I wouldn't have moved here.

The local grocery store, Sweet Bay, has RC on sale for $.99 per 2 liter bottle. I'll be there tomorrow to get 20 or 30 bottles.

My wife and friends can vouch for this story - after we selected a the area in Florida that we wanted to move to from Chicago, I called RC to ask if they sold RC in the area. They replied yes so we put an offer on a house. If RC would have said no, I wouldn't have moved here.

The local grocery store, Sweet Bay, has RC on sale for $.99 per 2 liter bottle. I'll be there tomorrow to get 20 or 30 bottles.

Now that is a die hard fan! :lol:

I got hooked on RC as a kid. A lady I did lawn work for had a gazillion 8 packs of 16 oz bottles in the rear entry where they kept the mower. She told me take all I wanted. Well I would drink maybe 1 when I mowed. She asked why I don't drink more and said I didn't want to drink it all up. She said stop and take a bottle any time you want and if she was home knock and she would give me a cold one out of the fridge! I would stop every day after that! Found out her husband was a route delivery driver for RC and got all he wanted for free!

Yep, they still have the sales going all the time here too! B)

Think I'll go build a model now! ;)