Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Primer?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Do most of you prime before you paint? What primer do you use?

Posted

I am no model building expert but I would always prime before painting just about anything from models to your bedroom wall. Primer help hide little imperfections and with give the paint something to bite into. I would just put a couple light coats first coat mist then just enough to cover and not hide any detail. As far as brands I've not painted a model in a long (which is about to change) but from what I've read Dupli-Color and PlastiKote are the best. Thats my 2 cents worth anywho.

What are you building? Just curious don't wanna change the subject.

Posted

I primer every single part whether I plan to spray or brush the paint on the parts. It makes a huge difference! I will only use the Plasti Cote primers. It won't bury details and goes on smooth straight from the can.

Posted

I rarely prime, unless there's a potential coverage problem or I've got mismatched colors(either in parts or if heavy body mods were done). As far as what primer to use, I always say use what's compatible with the paint you're using on top of it.

Posted

I just finished my 71 hemi cuda and now im starting on the ACDelco camping world truck series racer

Posted

Posted

When Walmart carried it, I just used the cheapest primer they had which was 96 cents or something like that. It works, I primer most of the paints unless the paint is not chemically hot to harm the plastic.

Posted

I'm a primer guy like Plowboy