Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working 1/25 Engine, out of PLASTIC?

The only problem I see with the cam is how fast it would wear. I'd say if it was strong enough and had pretty light valve springs, it would hold up.

The connecting rods? Eh, they could be made somewhat strong.

One problem I see is that you wouldn't be able to ground the block for spark plugs.

The distributor would be a different story too...

But hey, it can't hurt to try though! Maybe I could throw a plastic rod out of the block :lol:

Edited by Android

The problem is not so much with the mechanical workings (although they would be very fragile at that scale) but the heat and pressure associated with combustion and compression along with certain parameters that must be preserved for combustion in any size. I won't even get into the lubrication and fuel atomization problems...

If you just want an engine that can be manually opereated or 'turned over" it removes many of the hurdles relating to an actual running engine. But it would need some compromises and concessions to even just be turned over by hand.

Can we count on you to make one now Andy? Afterall, we have simplified it for you... B)

Back in the 60's, when AMT and Revell put things like V8 crankshafts in a few of their kits, a couple of guys here did work up V8's with at least moveable pistons, turn the crankshaft, the pistons moved up and down and in sync as well. They used K&S aluminum tubing for the cylinder bores IIRC.

Art

Now I expect to see you do it Andy!,now Harry might remember this, in the October 2000 issue, there's a article on Charlie Ryder's '65 Chevelle Dirt Track Stock car, it's 100% scratch-built from aluminum & some other things, it has a engine that "works", it doesn't run but the pistons move with the crank & it has working gears in the rear-end & all that neat stuff!, also it's in 1/25th scale!

Edited by Dragracer

Now I expect to see you do it Andy!,now Harry might remember this, in the October 2000 issue, there's a article on Charlie Ryder's '65 Chevelle Dirt Track Stock car, it's 100% scratch-built from aluminum & some other things, it has a engine that "works", it doesn't run but the pistons move with the crank & it has working gears in the rear-end & all that neat stuff!, also it's in 1/25th scale!

I can see making a 1/25 scale engine with internal parts that move... but to make it actually run? As in internal combustion, cams moving rods that open valves. etc? Not in 1/25 scale, unless you had a few million bucks worth of incredibly precise and accurate machine tools and some sort of miracle alloy that you could create 1/25 scale cams, valves, etc. that would be strong enough to actually take the physical stresses,

Because I know you can do it. The article is really good, I'm not into Dirt Track cars or anything really that makes turns (except on to a return road! LOL), in fact I've had the issue since 2000, & just read it a few days ago, I use the issue for reference on detailing the carburated P/M's, theres a great article by Bill Mauldin on "Building a Super Detailed Pro-Mod Engine" on page 10, to me thats the the article I read the most in that issue (besides the contest coverage!)

I can see making a 1/25 scale engine with internal parts that move... but to make it actually run? As in internal combustion, cams moving rods that open valves. etc? Not in 1/25 scale, unless you had a few million bucks worth of incredibly precise and accurate machine tools and some sort of miracle alloy that you could create 1/25 scale cams, valves, etc. that would be strong enough to actually take the physical stresses,

Even with an unlimited budget, how would you create an atmosphere a 1/25 scale engine could run in? What fuel could you use? Some things simply cannot be scaled down.