Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Bug Altered

I built this last year, but thought I'd repost it since we now have a drag racing category. It is the Ornery Otto VW Altered resin trans-kit by Andy Martin. (Shameless plug). It uses either the Bantam Blast or Winged Express kit. The fit-up was excellent, and it came out so neat, I may have to do another!

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

The paint is Tamiya candy lime green, and the chassis, headers and prop rod are done with Rustoleum chrome paint, that when heated in a food dehydrator, hardens it and keeps it from rubbing off. It also gives it a polished aluminum look. I didn't add a lot of detail, as it was just a quick, fun build. One other note, this was my first resin body I worked on, and I didn't know about resin not liking heat. When I put it in my dehydrator on my paint stand to cure, the wires that hold the body pushed it apart about an inch from the heat! Attesting to the toughness of the body and Tamiya paint, I plunked it in very hot water, and squeezed it back to shape! :shock:

One of my Fav Colors that met. green

Nice Clean Build

We went w/ the Earlier AA/FA look w/ the Shorter wheel base

Real easy modification on the Chassis to shorten the wheel base

We also have a few Other "BUGS" in the bull pen TBA

55_1.JPG

One of these days

I'll complete one , for now .............just Mocked Up

a4_1_b.JPG

Thanks for the comments, guys. If you like altereds and/or beetles, build it! Like I said, it's a really cool body, that fits the donor kit perfectly, and needed hardly any clean up. A great first time resin project to build. This would really look badass in black with flames! :twisted: