Model Cars Magazine Forum

I appreciate ya' Guys. I'm liking everything about this so far myself. With the possible exception of the sleeper. There's no room for anything in there. I'm either going to need to extend it or lose it.

Didn't get much done today except smooth out the bed prior to putty and I'm also working on the air dam. Nothing worth even taking pictures over. Tell ya' what. Tomorrow I'll do a full mock up with wheels / interior / body / hauler and I might throw a completed model in for appearances sake.

If anyone has any thoughts on the sleeper, I'm listening.

One more thing. See the Xacto knife in the second picture ?? Picked it up at Big Lots with a dozen blades included in a plastic box nice enough to use as a display for something. The knife handle is the best I've ever held and changing blades is lightning quick and easy on the hands. Thought I'd pass that along. It was in the tool section for $10.00.

That looks like it might be a newer version of the workhorse I've had for years. It's an Xacto 2000 I believe, it is the blue knife laying in the background of this pic.

HPIM1923.jpg

I've probably had that knife for 10 years now and is a dream to hold!

That explains why I'm 10 years behind everybody else. lol

I never heard of an Xacto 2000. I wish I'd found it earlier, I'm thrilled I've got it now. There is so much knife work involved in this build and it made my life a lot easier. The control for pressure and angle is remarkable.

.....and here are the changes for today. Started with a small, low air dam. While I was pondering the sleeper situation, it hit me to just make a tall air dam and inside that will be the sleeper. Still trying to figure out what to do about cabinet, microwave, fridge and a bathroom of some sort. "INCREDIBLE POWER, itty bitty living space."

To those who think the air dam / sleeper looks too clunky, you have my sympathies. I do too. I also got the back of the cab leveled up to the trailer, then filled it in with a panel that includes the crawlway opening.

As promised, I've got some pix of the mock up. Really makes me feel like the progress has been worthwhile.

2007-03-21003.jpg2007-03-21005.jpg2007-03-21004.jpg2007-03-21006.jpg2007-03-21008.jpg

That explains why I'm 10 years behind everybody else. lol

I never heard of an Xacto 2000. I wish I'd found it earlier, I'm thrilled I've got it now. There is so much knife work involved in this build and it made my life a lot easier. The control for pressure and angle is remarkable.

You said it, not me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I just went back to the desk and checked, the proper name for it is the X2000. I forgot the "X" last night! :lol: I've always found it to be a pleasure to work with because the smaller pencil thin style knife handles start hurting my hands after a short time. The larger barrel is more comfortable, just like the fatter barrel pens I use to write with.

Another knife I found, even though it is for speciallized work in my case because it has a thin Bic pen sized barrel, is one I picked up at a craft store with a swivel head for cutting round shapes and circles. I use it the most for deepening curved panel lines around doors and trimming BMF around curved areas of window frames.

Mostly putty and sanding today. Blending the back of the cab into the bed and slide rails. Still more to do. I also had to reinforce the seam between the front wheel wells. It flexed enough to crack putty twice, but not again. I also put a roof flattening piece that will act as a base for the sleeper. Final item is a new piece of styrene on the inside / front of the hauler. Now the cab and hauler crawlways match up. Got lots of ideas running around now for the living quarters, playing with bed locations, etc.

Updates may be sporadic. Gotta get ready for the Victorville IPMS Desert Classic this Saturday. It's a 4 hour trek from Vegas and my best chance to hit up some vendors since I got back into this in May / June.

2007-03-22001.jpg

2007-03-22002.jpg

Crawlway before w/ large opening

2007-03-18004.jpg

Crawlway after

2007-03-22003.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Wow. This is going in a much different direction than I thought. Very cool.

Rob my friend, every time I pick up my knife this build goes in a new direction. I think we'll both be surprised when it's done. You can't believe how much your input sent it in this direction when it did. Thanx :D

Joe......this is looking so good......got to be your best work yet......luv it !!!!!

.....and you, Mr. Teresi, have been a constant source of inspiration and encouragement. I'm no speedster on building, but it'll get there. I've been checking out trailer floor plans and none of them work for a two story situation, so I'm gonna' have to wing it.

Hi Everypeoples. Got back from Cali yesterday and I feel pretty drained. I don't travel well and a 600 mile trip can take a toll on me.

It was worth it though and I'll probably do it again. I didn't expect to place due to the level of participating builds and was surprised to take two 3rd place awards. Also scored a Tommy Ivo Showboat and a Blue Max F/C. Not many car models of interest from the vendors, but being an IPMS show, that was to be expected. (That is not a slam on IPMS, that has simply been my experience.)

I'll get back on the Bride of Deora as soon as I'm fully recovered.

Recovery time's over, get back to work batboy!

Batboy has been hard at it today, but not in the way that show's any progress. Raise your hand if you have worked like mad on a project that continuously goes through a metamorphosis. Yes, I am in slightly over my head, and yes, the build has taken another new direction. However, I refuse to drop this project until it is complete.

Here's what's happening now. I have abandoned the sleeper idea for the time being. There's just too many things I don't like about it. Here's the biggie. The hauler is history and will be replaced with a Galaxie Limited 5th wheel trailer. This will allow me to use the Deora bed for the hot tub, a 5th wheel mount and a place to put batteries and electronics to light the interior / cab, headlights, tail lights, and trailer brake lights. I plan on building a tonneau cover that will be hinged or will slide open to access the tub and hitch.

The trailer is on order and should arrive in a week or so. I also picked up a Chi-Town Hustler to become the basis for the Charlie Allen F/C chassis. This will require cutting a left side escape hatch and whatever is required to do to the front windshield to accommodate the offset motor. The tinwork will need a little modification for the air scoop, as opposed to a bare, open injector setup.

So there it is for now. I won't make the same mistake I made earlier when I started the Dragula "to fill time" during the last delay. I do have to wait until I get the trailer to see if there is room in there for the electronics. That would be a better choice than the Deora bed.

One more thing. Will somebody PLEASE tell me when I'm having fun ??

Edited by Batzilla

• 8 months later...