Model Cars Magazine Forum

The headliner is also neat...Mustang taillights are they?

That's what I was thinking while painting them !! However, it CLEARLY states that the part is a "Vented Exhaust Port Cover", a required piece in the assembly of the "Side Exhaust Port" and is listed as part #330 in the instructions, Cab Assembly "D" section, although it's not narked as such on the instruction sheet as are Cab Assemblies "A" thru "C". Are you still glad you asked that question?

GUESS WHAT ??????? I got the center console done !!!! You can now easily see the finished steering wheel along with the newly discovered "fuzzy thing" growing off of the left spoke. Thank The Maker for Macro photography. Also the "dive plane / rudder control" portion of the steering column has been corrected. Sorry Mike.......

Wait'll ya' all see the Uber Kewl piston shift knob I made. I'm so proud of me. What? It's a little long? Yeah? So what? Why does it have a brass top? 'Cuz it's the only thing I had to stick in the tube that I could polish! Aren't the piston ring channels spaced wrong? You try looking into a 1/8th inch gap in a tubing cutter to judge spacing...using a flashlight...while texting.

Also made a soft drink cup w/ straw and put some kinda brown stuff in there in a vain attempt at making it appear to be Pepsi or Root Beer or a chocolate shake. What would Jungle drink? NVM. Sorry I asked......

Final touches are the stereo left of the column and on the right, gauges with a drop of epoxy on each to make a lens. Nice little magnifiers.

Think I'll take another crack at getting to those seat belts.

2007-02-09011.jpg2007-02-09012.jpg2007-02-09013.jpg2007-02-09014.jpg2007-02-09015.jpg

That's what I was thinking while painting them !! However, it CLEARLY states that the part is a "Vented Exhaust Port Cover", a required piece in the assembly of the "Side Exhaust Port" and is listed as part #330 in the instructions, Cab Assembly "D" section, although it's not narked as such on the instruction sheet as are Cab Assemblies "A" thru "C". Are you still glad you asked that question?

Actually, I thought I'd read that they used Mustang taillight bezels on the Deora exhausts...

Dash and console look good...even the shifter. It's all part of the glitter of the show!!

Since I'm not building a replica of the Deora, I didn't research it. Dang Howdy if'n you ain't right there Mr. Tony T Man. They sure are Mustang bezels on the real thing. They put wire mesh behind them. Who the heck at Dodge authourized that?

HEY GANG !! The interior is done with the installation of the belts. Boy Howdy if'n they weren't a major pain. Twelve hours of my life I'll never get back. I am NEVER gonna' put belts in a car that has more than one seat.

Now, on to the Hauler housing and ramp. As always, I'm saving the body for last.

Randy, glad you're having fun. There will be grillage and I've got some pretty cool ideas for it too. I found a 1/24 camping diorama set that will give me the cooler and other goodies but I guess I'll have to make the BBQ tool set myself.

Thanx as always to everybody watching whether you're commenting or lurking, it's all good.

Deora_BradleySketch.jpg2007-02-11001.jpg2007-02-11002.jpg2007-02-11003.jpg2007-02-11005.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

I'll admit I was very unsure about your interior but now its done I have to say you've tied it all together very well.Not to say I didnt think you could pull it off because that I didnt doubt (just that I kinda lack in the forward visionary department :rolleyes: in things that I'm not doing ie other peoples visions). Great work,I'll be watching for more

I'll admit I was very unsure about your interior but now its done I have to say you've tied it all together very well.Not to say I didnt think you could pull it off because that I didnt doubt (just that I kinda lack in the forward visionary department :rolleyes: in things that I'm not doing ie other peoples visions). Great work,I'll be watching for more

Funny you should show such confidence in me when this build is about to go thru an Identity Crisis. Here's the issue:

With the canards (which are extremely permanent), the car measures out at 4 1/2" wide. The Deora is 3" wide. That gives 3/4" overhang on each side which means, even with truck mirrors, there's no way to see around the hauler housing. As a side note, looking at it from the front it just looks beyond inconceivably inconceivable.

The original idea was for it to go with the U.S. Dart, but it had decal issues I wouldn't care to repeat (the stars). It's a possibility to use the Chi-Town Hustler, but that seems mundane to me now. What's a poor old modeler to do?

I thought about going with a show car or custom, but after searching hobby sites and Evilbay, I'm drawing a blank. So, the build is stalled until I can come up with a suitable haulee for the hauler.

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Anything will help from my Buds On The Board. My collection of unbuilt kits is non-existent, so I can't even offer a trade for something somebody wants to offer that I like. Sigh.

Lemme know what ya' think everybody. This is your chance to tell me what to do and how to do it. How often does that happen around here?

I like the idea of a show car. Something of the same vintage, like maybe these. I don't know how much money or energy you'll have left after Bride of Deora, but even Bat-ifying something like an Avanti might be cool. My first thought was build the chassis and interior of a Corvette or 57 T-Bird and build a body around it with blister packaging, sporks or whatever plastic shapes you can find. Hopefully these would be kits that are still fairly accessible.

silhouette3car.jpg

TigerShark.jpg

The width of the haulers bed only has to be as wide as the track (width) of the slicks on the car. Mirrors would work out ok then , and if you're worried about someone walking into the cannards,make up a little flag with a thread (rope) loop to hang around them while in transit. I was assuming (dangerous I know) that you would be using guide ramps(tracks) to keep the car from sliding sideways on the deck so that should eliminate most of the problems , no??

You've come to far to turn back now, it doesn't have to work, just look like it could.Don't know of any 1:25th policemen that would give you a ticket for dangerous cannards :)

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Anything will help from my Buds On The Board. My collection of unbuilt kits is non-existent, so I can't even offer a trade for something somebody wants to offer that I like. Sigh. Lemme know what ya' think everybody. This is your chance to tell me what to do and how to do it. How often does that happen around here?

How about a slingshot dragster from the recent AMT Double Dragster re-release. I would think they would be pretty narrow. Here's a current thread on one.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48243&hl=&fromsearch=1

Maybe someone who has built one can furnish some measurements (length/width/wheelbase/etc) so that you can finish the hauler without having something to on it yet.

Or a salt flats belly tanker?

Edited by Jantrix

Thanx for the ideas men. I truly appreciate your input and I was really leaning toward the Silouhette, Silowett, Silly...., the red car. And the idea of flagging the canards got me to thinking about "putting a sock on it". LOL I also gave the shorty slingshot a serious consideration 'cuz I haven't built a rail before (not enuff potential for life altering problems as a full size car). Again I must LOL. Great ideas all guys. Mucho Appreciado.

Did you ever have one of those dreams where you wake up, write down your world changing idea, go back to sleep, then in the morning you realize there's not as much need in the world for a velcro zipper on a railroad spike as you originally thought? That's not what happened to me.

However, I did wake up and got on the web and started hunting for an appropriate subject for the Bride of Deora when I found this:

Track_Hemi_Under_Glass.jpg

Using the HHUG, I have easy access to aftermarket decals so the transport can have matching paint and graphics. I might even steal some old F/C headers to do this version. I love this shot because you can clearly see Bob Riggle's face peeking thru the floorboard and you can easily see the differential and transfer case.

Yeah, I think I'm in love again.

You'se guyz are the bestest.

Brandon, that's what it was until this happened:

Funny you should show such confidence in me when this build is about to go thru an Identity Crisis. Here's the issue:

With the canards (which are extremely permanent), the car measures out at 4 1/2" wide. The Deora is 3" wide. That gives 3/4" overhang on each side which means, even with truck mirrors, there's no way to see around the hauler housing. As a side note, looking at it from the front it just looks beyond inconceivably inconceivable.

The original idea was for it to go with the U.S. Dart, but it had decal issues I wouldn't care to repeat (the stars). It's a possibility to use the Chi-Town Hustler, but that seems mundane to me now. What's a poor old modeler to do?

This is actually the second change because it was originally for the U.S. Dart. When you build the way I do, you have to be flexible and, as Phoebe on Friends would put it, "I'm very bendy."

PLAN C: Here it is, my current design for the ramp and housing. Another painful reminder of why I build, not draw. If anything is unclear, lemme know and I'll sort it out.

Now, here's the other part of the deal. The housing is tall enuff as it is. I'm going to order my HHUG on the 1st and I'll get priority Starship delivery. I have to keep the housing as low profile as the front ride height of the car will allow. That means this build is going on hiatus. I am not one to drop a build and I will be right back on it the day that the model gets here.

In the meantime, Look for another "On the Workbench" where I will pick up a build I was forced to drop when I lost my job last year. It's cute.

2007-02-13001.jpg2007-02-13005.jpg2007-02-13003.jpg2007-02-13004.jpg

This is one of those pictureless (gasp) posts to update current events.

Firstly, I've got a Hemi Under Glass winging it's way to me from somewhere in Georgia. Should be here in a few days. The truck itself has been officially named Bride of Deora. Thanx Mike, I loved it from the second I read it. lol lol . At the moment, she also has the bogus false official extra special add-on title of "Queen Bondo Deora of the Putty Underworld." Yes, I know it's glazing & spot putty, but it is my weapon of choice. It's predictable and I'm not going to experiment on this.

So, I'm gonna play with a Dragula for a while to pacify myself 'til the Post Mistress gets here. What? Don't even ask !! Of course I'm sticking a Hemi in it. In addition to that, it's gonna be superhuffered. I can't look at those twin itty-bitty off-center pooper scoopers another second. Might also do something twisted to the headers (figuratively, not literally).

I know a lot of you who are following this build aren't replying to my recent posts and I just want y'all to know I'm okay with that. There hasn't been much to reply about. I do want to share a new technique I'm using that I'm liking a lot. In a recent post, many builders were saying they don't use primers before painting. Due to my current experience with DupliColor Sandable Primer, I'm pretty much done with them myself. It clogged every attempt at sanding all 9 areas that this build has putty on, whether I used paper or a stick. Yuck !! During the Jungle Jim build, I thought I needed an undercoat beneath the Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue, unsure if it was a transparent or Kandy color. Turns out it was unneeded, but the Tamiya TS-21 Gold I laid down showed up some flaws. I decided to color sand the areas and when I was working the color it was VEEERY easy to see where the work was required. The shading difference between finished and unfinished was clearer than night and day.

I'm using that same technique on the Bride of Deora, (hereafter to be accompanied by a "(TYVMM)", which stands for "Thank You Very Much Mike"), and I wanted to share some pics of the first coat prior to sanding and shaping of the back side windows. You can see the areas that need the most work, but you'll really notice the diff when I start workin' it. Also the choice of gold here is perfect because it will have a paint scheme that matches the Hemi Under Glass anyway.

Again, thanx for hangin' in there to everyone from the followers to the lurkers, (we can see you, muahahahahaha), for all the views.

Probably be back to work in earnest on it again by Friday ???????????? Saturday ????????????

OH !! One more thing (this oughta get some responses). I'm thinkin about using a 2010 Challenger body. AMT has one in the same scale and the paint and decals pose no problem. I'm also thinking of extending the back window into the trunk and/or roof area for the "Under Glass" effect. Whaddya think ??

2007-02-21001.jpg2007-02-21002.jpg2007-02-21004.jpg2007-02-21005.jpg

While I too will stick with primers (I only use auto lacquer or nail polish thinned with the same lacquer thinners) I have to agree that color coats do show the flaws up better than primer. That said, its already looking good and I think the updated HUG should look great.

This beast is coming along great! I've been following it from the bleachers since you began, and your inmagination has been inspirational. You've got me thinking along the lines of an 8-wheel (12-wheel?) early-50's Chevy COE car hauler now... Chopped, dropped, channeled, etc, of course! :)

Keep up the good work and keep those happy snaps coming!