Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Colored glass ?

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What is the best way ot make colored glass/windows or where can I go buy this plastic ? Thank's for any help/info.

63NovafastbackawbJJ_1.jpg

Posted · Report post

Colored kit glass can be done with Tamiya's acrylic clears. Steel wool the surface to be sprayed and use an airbrush to lay on several thin layers until a nice tint is achieved.

Posted · Report post

you can also go to walmart or officemax etc.. for report covers or something related to coverings for papers for school. they come in clear red/green blue etc.

Posted · Report post

You can also dye the kit glass with RIT fabric dye. The advantage is that you're actually tinting the plastic itself, instead of spraying color on the surface...so you'll never get any dust specks or other imperfections in your tinted glass.

Posted · Report post

Thank's for all the help ! This modeling forum is great.

Posted · Report post

another thing ive tried with some luck is to mix food color with future floor wax and then paint it on the inside of the glass or just dip the glass in it and let the excess drain onto a paper towel. works good when you mix tamiya clears with future too, to thin the colored clear. and if it doesnt look good, straight ammonia will remove it without a trace.

Posted · Report post

I'm not fond of spraying acrylics so I decanted some Testors candy blue and candy green and mixed them (don't remember the ratio right now but it's written on the jar) and thinned them even further than they are in the cans. I keep it on hand for window tint. A light coat looks like factory tint or build up more coats for a custom look. Just spray it on the inside surface and mask off the outside to prevent overspray.

moto.jpg

Posted · Report post

She's all done and thank's to everyone for their input/info on making colored glass.

63Novafastbackawb_1.jpg

63Novafastbackawb_2.jpg

63Novafastbackawb_8.jpg

63Novafastbackawb_7.jpg

Posted · Report post

which technique did you use?

looks like it turned out great!

Posted · Report post

Tamiya clear blue ,but will try the other tips on another day.

Posted · Report post

One trick I've heard (never tried) is to add food coloring to Future and airbrush it on. Hope this helps a bit.