Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Mustang Lx's a Comparison and Review thread.

One thing was left out, though. One of the three of them is still available. Now I might be biased becaused I mastered the Reliable Resin one, but I think it turned out better than the other two. Is it perfect? nope but until someone else comes out with a better one, it's probably the best available.

No disrespect Darin , but you miss the point. Depending on what the builder wants to build it really might not be any better than the AAM. body.

I know that this probably sounds harsh, to you, and I am sure you look at the Mustang LX coupe with a certain (justifiable) pride. Possibly you may even think I am being judgemental, or hurtful.

I am not trying to be mean, however. The simple fact is that it's quite off. in certain aspects.

The rear quarter windows being different shapes and sizes for one.

I think that if you sit back and remove the fact that you made the master and look at it objectively, you would understand...

Would you want to buy a resin body from ANY caster that was different side to side?

I don't believe you would. Fact is I believe you have complained about that very thing, in the past, or/but maybe that was someone else?

The simple fact that it may or may not still be available does not in it's self make it worth buying. (Is Don still around?)

Case in point...

104_3003.jpg

Again nothing against you personally,Darin. I really do think you're very talented just that the Coupe may have missed it's mark.

Oh, and since we're on the subject and by the way... To anyone who may read this... there was another Mustang Lx coupe produced in resin, in very limited numbers from what I understand.

You can call me crazy, but I'd like to get one. So If anyone has one please contact me.

DSCF5834.jpg

DSCF6105.jpg

DSCF6100.jpg

Darin not bashing your involvement in the Reliable Coupe. Don himself made it a target for us FOX guys by calling it 'The only CORRECT Coupe on the market'. The coupe you worked on and he offers is the best so far, but isn't 'correct'. I appreciate the involvement in trying to correct some of the massive flaws in those attempts that came before your shot.

As to the appeal; just police cars? C'mon Darin, every Mustang racer and his hilljack brother are clamoring for the FOX coupe as they are silly light, rigid, and versatile as all holy heck. I can't tell you how many I have seen with LS-X swaps (which personally makes me throw up in my mouth, hench the reference to hilljack brother) at the drag strip. These ARE the 32 Ford for this generation. Not just my opinion, but dang close to un-arguable fact.

Darin not bashing your involvement in the Reliable Coupe. Don himself made it a target for us FOX guys by calling it 'The only CORRECT Coupe on the market'. The coupe you worked on and he offers is the best so far, but isn't 'correct'. I appreciate the involvement in trying to correct some of the massive flaws in those attempts that came before your shot.

As to the appeal; just police cars? C'mon Darin, every Mustang racer ...are clamoring for the FOX coupe as they are silly light, rigid, and versatile as all holy heck. I can't tell you how many I have seen with LS-X swaps ... at the drag strip. These ARE the 32 Ford for this generation. Not just my opinion, but dang close to un-arguable fact.

Well said, Brad. One thing though, Reliable has to this date NEVER offered a police package for this car as far as I know.

drag packages yes, but not a police package. The Only build of this car,that I could in fact find ( with an internet search ) was a drag car.

Now I will also admit that I have no interest in the subject and always questioned the appeal of the LX coupe for anyone not building police cars. I never even asked for a copy of the production kit....

Thanks Darin, this explains to me more then you know.

keep in mind that the only version of Monogram's GT convertible to come with the Saleen rear wing was the High Performance Series kit. pretty sure that's an '89 in that issue/box. that issue too is the last time that the turbine wheels had open cooling slots, later issues with those same wheels have filled cooling slots and some hateful sink marks instead.

No, the black convertible, also has one.

i have the MAD '79 coupe conversion and it's pretty nice. there has been some discussion before over some small issues it has as well as far as accuracy too. it's pretty obvious though that a lot more time and effort went into that conversion than anyone ever put into the later '87-'93 style coupe body.

Anyone... Ever ...Rrrreallllyy?

I think I may resent that remark just a little bit.. (LOL)

In any event, I was trying to find some completed cars to compare completed builds to see how they look. I stumbled upon Tim Lewis's Fotki. It's my belief that out side the original resin caster, Tim has probably seen and built more copies than anyone else.

Check out his fotki there is some amazing work in there....

http://www.fotki.com/outlawdragracing

Edited by Abell82

one of Tim's LX coupes was done by Bill Stillwagon as a "one off" and it was really good, no suprise since Bill did it.

i think the rest of them are RR's coupe

if you look at the side belt trim you can tell which are which. It's about a 50/50 mix, There is even a Mad 79 coupe converted to "aero" nose spec.

I have the M.A.D 1979-82 Coupe conversion.....looks good (I have to straighten mine though, as the body started to warp and the lower sills bow inward quite bad) and the quality/finish of the cast is very nice.

The 87-93 Coupe that was pictured above was converted from an AMT (Ex-MPC) 1987 GT. I can't remember who did the conversion, but I have seen these 1/25th scale bodies going for over $100.00 on E-Bay (yes, the 1/25th 87-93 Coupes are REALLY rare pieces).

Compared to the dreadful Mustang II, the '79 definitely was a huge step forward design-wise.

For the notchbacks, I always thought the '85-86 was the best looking...I didn't like the bland headlights and taillights of the '87-93 LXes. I had an '86 LX notchback in college, but it was just a 4cyl. I still enjoy my '87 GT, but it definitely looks dated now... a memento of the big 80s, of when I had hair.. :)

I never got into the SN95 generation, but I do like the '05-09 and '10+ generations... I think I want one of the new 5.0s for my next fun car..maybe the Boss 302 version.

Edited by Rob Hall

i thought that the "ugly" response post was aimed at the new coupe posted above or the Cougar thing, maybe i missed where it was directed at the Fox coupes?

either way, what someone views as ugly is thier opinion and we all have our tastes, as different as they may be. personally i like the coupe or notchback body style the most out of the 3 that were offered. i do think too that the hatchback is the most useful of all the body styles because of the hatchback and the folding rear seats. anyone who's had a coupe can tell you that the trunk is just about useless in those cars.

If a guy thinks its ugly, he thinks its ugly. I can dig that.

Personally I don't like the hatchbacks (which is one of the reasons I opened this thread to begin with). And I hate the GTs... the thick rocker cladding and those 'cheese grater' taillamps... ugh!!!! I think the notch is a much better looking car than the hatchback. I've actually been toying with getting the RR body. Is it perfect? No, but it sounds like ALL the alternatives are equally flawed. Unassuming burgundy paint, black steel wheels and a built SBF crammed under the hood! The fact its a notch seals the 'sleeper' deal.

My first FOX was an 88 Notch..........I miss that car and will have another in my stable before I check out of life!

I am working on a 1/24th 1983-early84 T-Top Coupe body right now. I started with a Monogram 1983 Mustang GLX convertible kit and a Re-issue of the Monogram (now Revell) 1985 SVO, and a lot of scratch-building/kit-bashing. I will also try my hand at resin casting on this as well (mainly for the T5 trans out of the 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe and the double-sump oil pan from the Tamiya 1994 Mustang GT/1995 Cobra R.

As was stated earlier, the worst part of the 1993 Cobra rear bumper is that it appears to be the GT rear cover with coves for the exhaust pipes filed into it (it isn't, but in all appearances it looks that way). It descends almost vertical, where it should taper toward the front of the car as it recedes from the beltline down to the lower edge. It is also a bit too blocky at its' corners, and needs to be vertically pie-sectioned to be closer to correct. I have done this with the '1993 Cobra to 1991GT' conversion I am doing as my real 1991GT will have the Cobra rear cover. I have also taken a slight cut out of it horizontally to bring its' overall height back in line.

Marty, while cool in design, those would be S197 derivatives, and we are talking about FOX Coupes here. Not even in the same area code.

Jason has made considerable efforts to forward Coupe development in 1/24th scale, and when Revell releases the 1/25th scale, I see the old 1/24th being cast aside by the majority. I will still build them, hope you will too.

Marty, while cool in design, those would be S197 derivatives, and we are talking about FOX Coupes here. Not even in the same area code.

Well, Jason DID mention something about Marty's design as a Cougar. And the fact that his post 'against' Jason's first post showed more than a litte bit of evidence of him having a sense of humor, and he didn't come right out and tell Marty to get lost tells me he isn't too concerned with the conversation taking a bit of a detour.

Me either Chuck, and my comment wasn't meant with ill intent. Personally, I like the S197 Cougar idea and would have liked to see Ford do it (too bad they killed Mercury). I would also love to see the Mustang SVO come back, with a base-optioned car powered by the SHO EcoBoost!