Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Mustang Lx's a Comparison and Review thread.

• 3 weeks later...

While taking a mini vacation the other day I pulled this body out, and took it out in the yard to see if I could indeed make it look better.

I scrapped the front bumper it was too far gone to bother with. I instead utilized a low quality version of one of my own.

While sanding the hood down to make it work, I noticed something interesting about the body....

It changed colors.

100_3892_zps3801d50b.jpg

100_3891_zps3a31c3b8.jpg

I got the hood to fit, but it was misshapen in one corner, or perhaps I just got too over zealous with my sanding...

in any event it needed a repair....

100_3882_zpseb97d3b8.jpg

100_3880_zpsd9fa9b8f.jpg

Doing all this got me to thinking about something. A hood.

I had made one, a few years back. I designed it to resemble the AF/X version.

Mine however had the "factory" hinges. I still had it, and decided to try casting it.

Here is my hood, it is the tan one...

100_3888_zps062f9f11.jpg

100_3890_zps1b602135.jpg

100_3889_zpsff7f3785.jpg

100_3887_zpsa0c3730f.jpg

(*edit 03/26/13 replacing missing pictures)

Edited by Abell82

Who Is the seller/ caster of this...

It was bought on ebay. teddyb.... something. a quick search and you should find it.

By the way, some of you may be thinking it's bad photos which make the hood appear wider at the front,

and more narrow in the rear... they aren't, it is.

Edited by Abell82

• 1 month later...

So I've been working diligently to straighten the body.... and I think I have it, pretty close to "acceptable"... (something like a month later?)

100_3951_zpse79f15ab.jpg

100_3952_zps96d2821d.jpg

100_3954_zps66be3627.jpg

100_3955_zps62624034.jpg

posted an update in the Foxbody thread there was concern about the hood that came with the body....

I am afraid this is as good as that hood gets.

100_3962_zps9eef4f22.jpg

added some hinges to it as well...

100_3963_zps12a75570.jpg

But not to fear I have one of my own...

100_3967_zps39f04815.jpg

Can you see the difference?

• 5 months later...

Been awhile since there was anything interesting to post. Since, I am NOT at all impressed with the New Revell LX Body,

I have refrained from purchasing the various hoods made for the new body.

Until now.

I bought a few of the new LX kits when they first came out.

So I decided to shell out some more money for the LX body meant to correct the Revell coupes short comings.

These are cast by Gregg Wann a member here.

I was both pleased and dismayed at what arrived.

Here are a few pics...

100_4129_zps21bf28b9.jpg

100_4126_zpsf4ea1afa.jpg

100_4123_zps2b1f1604.jpg

100_4120_zpsef1cd878.jpg

100_4121_zpseb757e0b.jpg

Yeah I much prefer the G.W roofline version, what didn't you like about it ?

G.W.roofline?

Well first of all it is a beautiful casting. The conversion work is beautiful and flawless. The only problem is, that the casting is small. much smaller then I anticipated.

It is a shame, as it almost obscures how pronounced the revisions are to the original body. I'll let you decide. ...

100_4130_zpsc0b8dfa1.jpg

100_4132_zps321f1451.jpg

100_4133_zps207aed94.jpg

The caster even provides a resin stock hood at NO extra cost.

It too is small, and here it is on a stock body, and a resin body... (also with a Mad Resin 79 since it is also 1/25th).

100_4135_zps7ab2a7e0.jpg

100_4139_zpsded72f7d.jpg

100_4142_zps6ee951f5.jpg

In any event it is a beautiful casting, and we are lucky to have it. I just wish, that it portrayed the modifications more boldly as they are quite dramatic, if you know what you are looking for.

WOW!!!... I can't believe you are complaining that the revisions are not REAL noticeable... For me that is a sign that it is done perfectly...

I'm not. I'm commenting that the casting is small. please read my comments before trying to put YOUR words into my posts.

Edited by Abell82

I can't believe you are complaining that the revisions are not REAL noticeable...

1) Well first of all it is a beautiful casting. The conversion work is beautiful and flawless.

2) I just wish, that it portrayed the modifications more boldly as they are quite dramatic, if you know what you are looking for.

1) Reads to me as a nice complement regarding the corrections and works done to the corrected body master.

2) Is what I think Dan is referring to, so Jason can you clarify what you meant? I see the trunk lid peak is now present, something which wasn't done on the Revell body, but what are the other body mods which you wish were "portrayed more boldly"? Are they supposed to be bold and noticeable on the 1:1, and should be bolder on the model or something else?

It's hard to tell from the comparison shots exactly what is too small, but is the body close to 1/26 scale? Is it underscaled in all dimensions- height, width, length, wheelbase, etc.? Just trying to get a specific idea on what "The only problem is, that the casting is small. much smaller then I anticipated." means, if it's not what I asked at the beginning of this paragraph.

The Master Caster (Greg Wann) resin is precisely scaled and accurate to the nth degree. It is a direct replacement for the Revell kit 85-4252 body and it measures out to 1/25 scale. It would look small when compared to a 1/24 kit.

Mike Schnur mastered it. Besides raising the roof to the correct height and proportion, he corrected the rear quarter panels, deck lid, spoiler, rear wheel openings, and shortened the rear bumper.

Perhaps not "bold" but far more importantly, accurate! The body and conversion kit Mike and Greg produced makes its statement when placed next to an untouched Revell kit body, because the subtle changes make all the difference. Obvious but not bold. Like good plastic surgery, it is not noticeable at first glance or inspection, but careful scrutiny exposes the artistry.

I call it a "conversion kit" because they provide a resin hood (so the buyer doesn't have to deal with mixing resin and styrene color and material differences) and new "glass" for the windshield, rear window and side windows. Mike's work was impeccable and Greg's casting is spectacular. The fine details (radiator intake gills, grille opening, slots and notches for kit parts attachment) are there, and the smoothness and quality of his casting requires very little cleanup.

If one is a Fox body Mustang fan, this one is a must-have!

Edited by Danno

Jason,

Thank you for the compliments about the conversion work to this body. I measured the resin body and compared it to an untouched kit body and I got less than 1mm difference in overall length between the two. I called a friend of mine, Eric Hight, founder of Copperstate Models (high end multimedia WWI aircraft model kits) and asked him about resin shrinkage in casting. Before I could finish my question, he said that it's normal, but in most cases, unnoticeable and does not affect fit or function. He said that it is the silicone mold material that shrinks a tiny bit while curing, and not the resin itself.

Here is the resin body next to the original master kit based body, I'll let you be the judge as to size difference.

PA280020_zpscaae0fa4.jpg

And here is my mockup of the resin body on the kit chassis to adjust the stance and wheel placement. Everything fits well once trimming is done at the back of the chassis plate to allow for the shorter rear bumper.

PA250007_zps906c364a.jpg

Thanks Dan, glad you like our little Mustangs, and see you at Modelzona.

-Mike

Edited by Maindrian Pace