Model Cars Magazine Forum

Want to create a replica "Movin'On" Kenworth

Look back through as I believe that this particular build was discussed in detail in another thread!

I know the kits sleeper is wrong and there may have been some other detail issues, I'm not sure.

I built that kit out of the box back when it first hit the shelves. Let a neighbor talk me out of it though and I'm still kicking myself!

Just picked up a parts kit and plan on building it again with donor parts from other kits. Not too picky about accuracy from the shows truck. Just recapturing a little of my past! :lol:

Yes, you do. You need the frame, front suspension, & hood from the AMT Kenworth W925 kit, you'll need the cab, interior, & sleeper from the Revell of Germany Kenworth W900 or T900 kit, you'll need to get a tandem torsion bar suspension from Eric over at P&P Resin Works (unless the AMT kit you're using already has one), you'll need the Auslowe Cummins VT903 engine, and you'll need to get the "Movin' On" decal set from Jbot. That should about do it for the series truck. For the pilot "In Tandem" truck you won't need the cab & sleeper from the Revell of Germany kit or the VT903.

Yes, I've been planning this build for a LONG time.

Thanks guys for the great info. This all got started when I saw a "youtube" clip of the TV series "Movin'on", boy I remember watching that show in the mid 70's. Also, I used to build the AMT trucks back then when I was around 12 -14, but nothing as good as I see on this forum! So, I got the bug again! :D Kind of scares me when I see what some of the old AMT truck kits are selling for on E-bay(used to buy them for $5-6 bucks! Hopefully "Round2" will keep reissuing them.

Hey Jim

Sorry I guess I did not read what you posted close enough, I thought you had said the cab, hood and sleeper from the RVG kit. Yeah the AMT hood can be made to work on the RVG cab but the fit aint the best,,,I think I will still cast the short hood, I have one that fits the RVG cab to a teee. On another note the hood from the new revell snap KW is a short hood and it fits the RVG cab perfect as well, you just have to cut the header panel out from behind the grill for the RVG kit grill to fit it and a bit of work to get the RVG head light buckets in it and then you are good to go.

Hey Jim

Sorry I guess I did not read what you posted close enough, I thought you had said the cab, hood and sleeper from the RVG kit. Yeah the AMT hood can be made to work on the RVG cab but the fit aint the best,,,I think I will still cast the short hood, I have one that fits the RVG cab to a teee. On another note the hood from the new revell snap KW is a short hood and it fits the RVG cab perfect as well, you just have to cut the header panel out from behind the grill for the RVG kit grill to fit it and a bit of work to get the RVG head light buckets in it and then you are good to go.

You got it before I did, Eric!

When I was building my Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth, I was comparing all three hoods, The Revell (ex Monogram) 1/25 Snap Kenworth Aerodyne has the best hood for a short hood! The main difference between the AMT hood and the Revell snap hood is that there is a raised lip on the sides of the fenders on the snap hood. All three hoods fit the Revell cab like a glove though! I would recommend getting the snap kit as the AMT W925 kits aren't cheap! I just bought two sets of JBOT's decals to build one as well!

I was thinking Sonny Pruit may have traded for w 900 areodyne. may be cool to do as an up dated version of movin on truck .

Hi Rick...

I like your idea of an updated version of Sonny's Truck...

In model fantacy world he and Will could have expanded and took on brokers...

All KW's mind you...

W-900, T-600, Cabovers, Whatever...

Go for it...

Bill....

you'll need the Auslowe Cummins VT903 engine, and you'll need to get the "Movin' On" decal set from Jbot. That should about do it for the series truck. For the pilot "In Tandem" truck you won't need the cab & sleeper from the Revell of Germany kit or the VT903.

Yes, I've been planning this build for a LONG time.

I remember in one episode "Breakout" they had the hood up on the ol' Kenny and it had a Cummins six in it,but in other episodes where you do see the engine was a VT903....so sorta kinda technically you could get away with the kits Cummins :huh: ...either way,back then,now and in the future,that is one beautiful truck.......

Edited by Badluck 13

Paul Sagehorn will be bringing the Movin'On truck and BJ & The Bear K100 to the Richard Crane Memorial Truck Show this weekend in St.Ignace, Michigan. I will get as many photographs as possible.

Tim

If you mean this one Tim,

2776695703_290fde4da9_o.jpg

there is one problem, you will still not have correct reference pics! Paul's truck has been updated with a Pete airride suspension!!

scan0015_jpg_w560h380.jpg

The second pic is from Paul's "TV Truckin'" website, here is a link to it.

http://www.tvtruckin.com/index.html

Look under the "Movin' On Restoration" tab and you'll see the pic. :)

That's Tim's truck. The KW next to it appears to be his model of the truck from the In Tandem movie pilot. If you do have/get the Movin on kit, bear in mind it's inaccurate. The decals, sleeper, etc, are wrong. Buying 2 kits may be pricey, but if you can get your hands on the AMT W925, I would say try and see who has parts from the Revell of Germany W900 they don't need(spares). You might even be able to do it with the Snap KW. Frame length is about right, but you will need to rework the sleeper and cab into a flattop. And, as mentioned, the rear suspension, and the engine. The Cummins V903 was available in the old Ertl International 4270 kit. Hard to come by, but adding the turbo to that engine will give you the right one. I like the idea of building the "what if" Aerodyne.

Great video Tim! Wow! You got a ride in the "Movin'On" truck, too cool! Also, thanks Roy for the pictures! I never built truck models back in the 70's like you guys do! I have alot to learn, but this sure is fun getting back into this hobby! Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Paul