Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats best for strippng krylon

I'm not sure if I'll need to do it yet. I might still be able to sand it out but I'd like to know what I could use to strip regular krylon paint from my cars. my cousin told me there is some dot 3 brake fluid in the garage but I'd like to make sure it would work. Thanks

Edited by h3ae86

I always keep brake fluid as a last resort, because the clean-up is a little messier than others. My preferred stripper is CSC(Castrol 'Super Clean' degreaser), but I would try EZ-Off oven cleaner as a second option, and keep brake fluid as #3.

I've heard Krylon referred to as a 'lacquer-based' enamel, and 'hot,' so don't be surprised if you find the plastic has been etched to some extent once the paint is finally gone.

I prefer DOT 3 fluid or 91 % alcohol...I save my older fluid and drop it off for recycling.

If those do not work on your krylon..use lye or Easy off oven cleaner

IF IT REMOVES PAINT..THINK ABOUT YOUR SKIN FIRST!!

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

I've heard Krylon referred to as a 'lacquer-based' enamel, and 'hot,' so don't be surprised if you find the plastic has been etched to some extent once the paint is finally gone.

Some Krylon paints do etch the surface and 'stain' it a bit, so depending on what color and what specific line of Krylon paint used, you might not ever get it totally stripped of the color, but it will be good enough to paint over.

Switch to Duplicolor, Tamiya, or Testors (one shot lacquers only). Save Krylon for crafts and other around the house projects.

Respectfully (partially) disagree. The line of flats, semi-glosses and silvers are my mainstays for interiors, chassis, suspension, and engine painting. Or even the body if you want a rat rod finish. Marc has the right of it if you are wanting a nice gloss finish. I have used all three with no difficulties straight from the rattle-can.

Respectfully (partially) disagree. The line of flats, semi-glosses and silvers are my mainstays for interiors, chassis, suspension, and engine painting. Or even the body if you want a rat rod finish. Marc has the right of it if you are wanting a nice gloss finish. I have used all three with no difficulties straight from the rattle-can.

The issue is Rob....they all seem to have a different formula....HOK is HOK....across the board...Krylon is ?????? lacquer, or enamel, or acrylic enamel, and then the clears....too confusing for me..I do like the size and prices though!

I personally like the brake fluid. I cut out the side of a quart oil container filled it with the brake fluid and laid the body in it. After the paint softened a little used a plastic scraper and took the paint right off. Then cleaned it with soap and water. Once dry the paint laid on really nice.

I'm not sure if I'll need to do it yet. I might still be able to sand it out but I'd like to know what I could use to strip regular krylon paint from my cars. my cousin told me there is some dot 3 brake fluid in the garage but I'd like to make sure it would work. Thanks

First off, did you use a primer underneath the Krylon? If the krylon was applied with a primer under it, you could be able to save it by dunking it in CSC or purple power for a little while, till it's soft enogh to scrape off (only use DOT-3 if ya REALLY need to, because it takes about 7 weeks to get the paint soft to remove it). But if it was applied to the bare plastic or if the primer badly etched it, ya may have to kiss yer bodys goodbuy unless you apply Easy Off (which smells awfull BTW - use at yer own risk!!).

For using said materials to remove paint, make sure you work ina well venaliated aera along with eye protection and gloves. Cauz things can get really nasty if ya not carefull!

I've allways had problems with krylon untill I switched to a different primer that didn't etch the plastic, so if the primer you got (if being used) is giving you problems, i'd switch and experement with other brands to see what works best for you.