Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reaper's Rod

Sam Cates

This build started as a result of the local clubs "Theme" for October. Just about everything is pulled from parts boxes and old built ups so far, the figure was a resin copy of the skeleton from the Bad Medicine kit that I modified quite a bit, still working on the black robe. Going to build this in the spirit of a rotted, rusty, mossy Model T carcass with some serious hp.

Body is the remnants of a Revell '31 Ford Woody and an AMT model T cowl

Grill is from the AMT Creepy T

Engines from the AMT Double Dragster kit

Chassis from Revell '31 Woody

Wheels and tires from parts box

Not sure what else I will be using...

Here are a couple of mock up photos

...and I swear, I will keep this WIP going updated!

DSCF0724.jpg

DSCF0725.jpg

Edited by Sam Cates

Okay, my first update.

So far this is turning out to be more Model A than T, but rather than using the T cowl I left it without one like the old Depot Hacks of the T days.

For the most part this crusty old wagon is going to be black and grey so I am assembling the major parts and spraying them all black at once, then come the washes and details. I Cut the panels down and chopped the top quite a bit (no idea how much in scale). Rather than making a run to the LHS for more styrene supplies I used some old balsa wood I had for the front floor panels. The roof is just about done, still needs a bit of work to look right.

Now here is where I need some opinions. Engine wise I am using the twin SBC's from the AMT Double Dragster kit. Being a "Rot Rod" style build should I filth up the engines as well, or leave a little shine to them and build it as a "Weathered show rod?"

This is my first attempt at building a vehicle of this "rusty crusty" nature so let me know how I am doing and shoot me some tips if youy see something I should do differently!

The look I am going for is the old grey aged wood with moss and dirt. Like it was just pulled from the field.

DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0737.jpg

DSCF0733.jpg

DSCF0735.jpg

Now here is where I need some opinions. Engine wise I am using the twin SBC's from the AMT Double Dragster kit. Being a "Rot Rod" style build should I filth up the engines as well, or leave a little shine to them and build it as a "Weathered show rod? Since you asked.

This is my first attempt at building a vehicle of this "rusty crusty" nature so let me know how I am doing and shoot me some tips if youy see something I should do differently! You are on the road less traveled my friend. I like where you're going with this.

The look I am going for is the old grey aged wood with moss and dirt. Like it was just pulled from the field. More like it has just returned from it's own grave. Zombie Rod!

Well I didn't get much done today, but I have the middle headers ready to be finished and painted, engines are ready for the dirt, grime and grease too. Got the wheels ready for paint as well...not much further to go aside from the detail on the engine and figuring out plumbing for the cooling system. I also need to figure out how to get the driveline mated to the engines, not much room, I want to go with a chain drive with a cog at the driveshaft and one at the back of the motors, but not sure where to get the correct style chain.

DSCF0747.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

Edited by Sam Cates