Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT M&H Racemaster Dragster Slicks & Parts Pack Tires

Gregg

You young whipper snappers.....lemme tell you Just be glad somebody out there is putting this stuff together. Sweet Geezus, we use to really have to be good with a brush, toothpick, needle or pin just to get white letters painted on the tires back in the late 60's. Funny thing is after a dozen or so times on one tire one gets pretty good at it...practice, practice, practice. Granted, I'd never have the mad money to spend on these tire packs (money went to models), but these tire packs are pretty sweet when one wants a finished look to the model. Funny thing is, it was the same with our crappy painted letter tires...they're just models, it's all in the head...smooooooothhhhh and looking bad! Going fast but never moving, just looking good...oh so good. It's all in the details.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2011 at 8:38 PM, Gregg said:

I just got the new AMT Custom & Competition M&H Racemaster Dragster Slicks Parts Pack.

Has anyone successfully removed the ink/paint from the sidewalls of these slicks? Not sure how well that would work if you were removing only some of the lettering and leaving some, but I would imagine a full sidewall wipe would be possible using a particular product.

On 9/21/2011 at 10:10 PM, Longbox55 said:

http://www.munsterkoach.com/dragula1l.htm

Scroll to the bottom pic, it shows the sidewall with both stripes the best. Strangely enough, there's an earlier scene where Herman and Grandpa are building the car that shows it with wider blackwalls and different wheels, more like what the car had on the show.

Well, at least now I know what I'm putting mine on! Just need to get another Drag-U-La when the single kits come out.

From John Haigpost-3-0-01080200-1316137070.jpg

Edited by afx

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

Which kit(s) were these Firestone tires originally included with? Asking for a friend^_^

I posted about these tires before and the consensus was they were AMT possibly in the first issue of the 56 Ford.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, Casey said:

Has anyone successfully removed the ink/paint from the sidewalls of these slicks? Not sure how well that would work if you were removing only some of the lettering and leaving some, but I would imagine a full sidewall wipe would be possible using a particular product.

......The lettering on the fatter MH 10.50s rubs off easily with thinner, goo gone, etc.....BUT those pie crust MH seem to be a lot harder to remove anything, at least I have found....I'm sure someone on the forum has the handle on how to do it quick and easy, so I'll be interested in that info as well.....the Ace...:D

On 1/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, afx said:

I understand Replica & Miniatures offers these tire.

The tires in my pic are original AMT. I have copies of them in resin from Modelhaus. I'm not sure if R&M has them. The first and only kit I've ever seen them in was the Willys/32 Sedan kit mentioned in the other thread. I never had the Willys as a single kit, so I don't know if the tires were in that. 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, afx said:

I understand Replica & Miniatures offers these tire.

I actually found a original AMT parts pack of this tire and promptly used them on my 57 Ford Gasser project. I want to say they are the same tires the plastic 2 piece ones were but I don't have access to any of my models yet so I can't compare.

DSC_0030.JPG

Edited by mr68gts

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Looks like the Revell tire on the left and the AMT on the right. Very cool there is an easy source to find them.

I think they are both AMT.  Both have the square inner edge not the tapered edge of the Orange Crate Revell front.

12 hours ago, afx said:

I think they are both AMT.  Both have the square inner edge not the tapered edge of the Orange Crate Revell front.

You're probably right. I didn't have the kit tires in front of me at the time to compare. I just remember the Revell tire being a little taller and skinnier than the AMT tire.

I'm pretty glad there is a reliable source for those tires as I'm pretty picky about what goes on the front of my hot rods. Most kit tires are too big and bulky to run on the front. I built this AMT 5 window coupe in 1992 and for most of its years it wore a pair of the Mickey Thompson front runners from the Pro Street 70 Coronet kit. These vintage AMT tires were just what I originally wanted. It just took me a bunch of years to find some. 

FB_IMG_1516577599483.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 10:56 AM, Casey said:

Not 100% sure, but I think Round 2 included these slicks without tampo detailing in the "regular" box reissue of the Double Dragster. The one in the old-school cardboard box, not the version packed in the tin.