Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 550 Spyder

Steve Keck

Jimmy Flintstone resin Porsche 550 Spyder modified to represent a friend’s kit car. Wheels, tires, all chromed parts (except gas cap – big THANK YOU to Bigphoto! ) and glass are from Fujimi Porsche 356B, kit no. 29.

Modifications include scratch built inner door panels and front bulkhead, removal of the racing headrest fairing and reshaping the 356B soft top rear glass for use as the windshield. The bottom of the resin tub containing the space frame tubing and floor pan was removed and replaced with styrene rod and sheet.

DSC02283.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02288-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

VERY, VERY NICE. I'm kind of surprised, though, that there is no louver plate in the nose.

A few years ago when I had full-time employment and was making some nice bucks, I looked into buying a Beck Spyder replica from Thunder Ranch, which had a not-too-awful price, under $30,000. The thing was, though I could get a weather kit with top and side curtains, there was no way to get heat or air. Vintage Air said that they couldn't rout air from the air-cooled Super Beetle engine into the interior and didn't do air-cooled cars at all. I joined a replica Spyder forum and asked them what they suggested for heat. The answer was, "a down-filled jacket." Not a good thing for chilling Tennessee winters and 100 degree summers, and this would have been a daily driver.

Edited by sjordan2

VERY, VERY NICE. I'm kind of surprised, though, that there is no louver plate in the nose.

The original post says it's a replica of a friend's 1:1......have you considered that maybe the real one doesn't have it?

I like it 100%, and it's great to see that pretty rough Flintstone kit made into something so nice. I'd love to see pics of the real one too.

The original post says it's a replica of a friend's 1:1......have you considered that maybe the real one doesn't have it?

I like it 100%, and it's great to see that pretty rough Flintstone kit made into something so nice. I'd love to see pics of the real one too.

In my research to buy one, I have looked at many replicas of this car and all have some representation of the nose louvers. I have only seen one original model without it, and I have never seen a replica without it. Just check Google images. There are a couple of metal replicas that have done everything perfectly, but you're talking $100,000 or more. The biggest issue is that in the fiberglass versions, like the Beck Spyder, the louvers usually are molded into the nose and are not opened. This is easily fixed.

Edited by sjordan2