Model Cars Magazine Forum

Smooth finishes

Recently I tried my first black paintjob and I just cannot seem to get that smooth finish without tiny scratches. Normally I use a piece of 2000 grit paper from the autobodt store and soak in in a bowl of soapy water for a lil bit. Then hit with scratch-X, now I use swirl remover. I was happy with that but with black it does not hide these super small scratches. I bought some detail master 3200 paper and this stuff is as gritty if not grittier than my 2000. Should I try the 6000 or 8000 paper?

Recently I tried my first black paintjob and I just cannot seem to get that smooth finish without tiny scratches. Normally I use a piece of 2000 grit paper from the autobodt store and soak in in a bowl of soapy water for a lil bit. Then hit with scratch-X, now I use swirl remover. I was happy with that but with black it does not hide these super small scratches. I bought some detail master 3200 paper and this stuff is as gritty if not grittier than my 2000. Should I try the 6000 or 8000 paper?

One other tip is "heat by rubbing" you actually do with some compounds...they need this step to fill in the swirls...Meguires or Novis both work well as does the Tamiya compounds on lacquers, cannot speak on enamels...Donn says they do get hard enough to polish...I'm not sayin...... :P-_-

Ok, so what grit do you guys start with? The 3200 grit detail master paper seemed like the quivelent of perhaps 1000 grit autobody paper. More than enough to get rid of the orange peel. Keep in mind, I am not trying to get that ultra glossy look, , just glossy, swirl free look, if that makes any sense.

Generally, you would want to start with the finest grit that will get rid of the imperfections, then go finer from there to get the shine. As to what grit to sttart with? It will depend on what the finish is like. I do tend to agree with Dave, though, 3200 is a good starting point.

One tip I'll pass along, the finish will only be as good as what's under it. In order to get the best out of the topcoats, you may want to consider using the polishing kit to do the finish work on the primer. I'm not talking going to a high gloss shine or anything, just getting the base as smooth as possible, say going no more that the 4000 grit. That will go a long way to making the final coats smooth and will reduce the work needed to get a good shine.